Author Topic: In-Between Clippers and a Razor???  (Read 9443 times)

Offline jond

• Learning the way of Sly
In-Between Clippers and a Razor???
« on: February 24, 2008, 11:00:29 AM »
Is there anything between using clippers without a guard and just shaving with a razor?
Would an electric shaver or anything be kind of in-between?

Right now I use just a normal set of clippers, no guard, set as close as they'll go. It's okay but I would like it closer, and don't know if I want to shave it yet...

Thanks,
Jon

Offline SlickEric

• Sly
Re: In-Between Clippers and a Razor???
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 11:08:56 AM »
Is there anything between using clippers without a guard and just shaving with a razor?
Would an electric shaver or anything be kind of in-between?

Right now I use just a normal set of clippers, no guard, set as close as they'll go. It's okay but I would like it closer, and don't know if I want to shave it yet...
Thanks, Jon

Your post has got me thinking that perhaps a beard trimmer set at #1 could do the job. Try a Wahl, or Norelco. Good luck Jon, and welcome to SBG!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:26:05 AM »
Wahl sells a special set of clippers called "balding clippers" that should be what you are looking for.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 11:44:43 AM »
Wahl sells a special set of clippers called "balding clippers" that should be what you are looking for.

Yes Wahl Balders are very high quality. They cut down to 1 days growth. Pretty much a shadow. Be careful though they will pinch and draw blood. I stopped using them for that reason. A blade to me is safer
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline jond

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 01:07:48 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'll give the Wahl Balders a shot and report back.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 11:03:53 PM »
An electric razor would be an in between shave.  It will get down to the skin for the first couple hours, but you'll have stubble within a couple of hours.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline mindfungus

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »
 I use a cheep Norelco beard trimer that I have modified.
  I discovered years ago when cleaning my full sized clippers you can take the blade off the bottom of the razor with the two set screws. I took the blade out to the garage and slotted the screw holes. (Use a carbon bit if you try this, it's a harden steel blade.)
  Slotting the screw holes allowed me to move the blade further back than intended. This gives me a much closer cut. I have since made this modification to my Norelco beard trimmer.     
  Now I can set the cut depth to well below 1.  It gives me a super close buzz and I only have to razor shave when I want too.

mindfungus
"many an evil butt await my boot print."

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:58:50 PM »
I would highly recommend that Black and Decker orbital sander....that seems to give you a good texture on your noggin.  Hey its a thought....jezzzzzzz jump all over me will ya!  LOL

Timmmayy

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 06:03:57 AM »
I would highly recommend that Black and Decker orbital sander....that seems to give you a good texture on your noggin.  Hey its a thought....jezzzzzzz jump all over me will ya!  LOL

Timmmayy

OK, Timmayyyy, Try it out and post up your reviews..... And we want pictures.....LOL ;D
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline jond

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 06:50:31 AM »
Okay, this is my review so far. I've had the Wahl Balding Clippers for several months now.
I couldn't be happier. They in no way get razor close, it's just kind of like normal clippers that are the next level closer.
I need to get some pics so youguys can see, but if anyone else out there uses normal clippers on the closest setting and wants to go 1 level closer before taking the plunge to shaving, this is what you want.

My rating - 5 Stars

Offline Wil87

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Low Lie The Fields of Athenry
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 07:15:28 AM »
Thanks for the review dude, some pics would be good, as a comparison!!  O0

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »
Okay, this is my review so far. I've had the Wahl Balding Clippers for several months now.
I couldn't be happier. They in no way get razor close, it's just kind of like normal clippers that are the next level closer.
I need to get some pics so youguys can see, but if anyone else out there uses normal clippers on the closest setting and wants to go 1 level closer before taking the plunge to shaving, this is what you want.

My rating - 5 Stars

+ 1

They'll last years aswell.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »
Belt sander works wonders  O0

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 03:06:29 PM »