Author Topic: Razor Cuts  (Read 11220 times)

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
Razor Cuts
« on: October 18, 2008, 03:16:11 PM »
Started using my HeadBlade last week and love it. Today I changed my blade to Gillette Atra doubles..OUCHHHHHHHHHHHH. One spot on my head looked like I had been in a WWE wrestling match. I tried not to apply alot of pressure but had a hell of a time getting that one cut to stop bleeding. Other than cold such as water or ice and pressure any of you have other methods to stop bleeding if it occurs?? Also any other suggestions about the atra double blades for the HeadBlade?

Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Razor Cuts
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 03:18:15 PM »
I have the same problem with the atra's.   That's why I stick with the HB trips.    I bleed easily and the best way I have found to control a nick or cut is either with ice or the good old fashion stipic pencil.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
Hammer, sorry to hear you had such trouble with the Atra's. They're my refill blade of choice.

It seems a few of you guys just can't use them. I feel for you, because not only do you get a great, smooth shave, they cost a lot less than fusion and mach III cartridges.

I decided to try the Personna double today, which is a generic copy of the Atra. Man, what a great shave I got. I usually use them on my face and they work well. I was changing my (HB) blade today, and figured I would give it a shot. No problems, even against the grain in back, and around the ears.
I was amazed. I think this is one of smoothest I've ever gotten the back of my head.
You may want to give them a shot, if they don't work for your noggin', you can always use them for the face.

I agree with Paul, a styptic pencil should quell the bleeding.

Have you tried any of the Sensor's yet?

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »
I use a roll on styptic called NIK+AID....seems to work really well for me..... O0

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
No I have not tried the Sensors. Maybe I just need to take it a little slower with the HeadBlade as I have never used these blades before.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

JohnMont

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »

just for your consideration ..    I have NEVER had a single cut using the Gillette Fusion;  while I hear of so many guys getting cut with the headblade.   I know many guys swear by the HeadBlade; but again, from what I've heard, I'm avoiding the headblade; and sticking to the Fusion.

John

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »
John, I have NEVER cut myself with the fusion either, but I have cut myself trimming around the ears with other razors and when you knick the ear it bleeds pretty good.....  :(

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »
I couldn't use the Atras either. I wound up sending a whole handful of Atra clones to PigPen.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »
This thread was enlightening to me - You see, my HB came with the atra blades on it already, and with a bunch of atra refills. AND - I couldn't shave my head (no mater how careful I tried to be) without it ending up a gore-fest. As a result, I don't care for the HB at all. Now I find myself wondering if I just tried the HB with the wrong blades attached to it? :-\

Offline THier

• Super Sly
  • Sorry for bad camera phone pic,,
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 01:42:27 AM »
Weird,, I'm having the same problem with Sensor blades on my HB. I have a goofy little bump on top of my head that I NEVER nicked with the HB,, (got the one in back though) but all three times used a Sensor balde I have nicked it. Looks cool with a wet head,, blood goes a long way,, but I am going to swap back to the HB blades, and try the Atra.

Hey I'll swap you a brand new Sensor to try for a new Atra.

Tom

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 04:53:47 AM »
Going to give it a few more days then see what happens. Curious thing is I had no problems with the original blade that came on the HeadBlade. Only yesterday when i changed over to the Atra blade did I get cut.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 09:29:22 AM »

just for your consideration ..    I have NEVER had a single cut using the Gillette Fusion;  while I hear of so many guys getting cut with the headblade.   I know many guys swear by the HeadBlade; but again, from what I've heard, I'm avoiding the headblade; and sticking to the Fusion.

John

Same story here John.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 09:31:47 AM »
Started using my HeadBlade last week and love it. Today I changed my blade to Gillette Atra doubles..OUCHHHHHHHHHHHH. One spot on my head looked like I had been in a WWE wrestling match. I tried not to apply alot of pressure but had a hell of a time getting that one cut to stop bleeding. Other than cold such as water or ice and pressure any of you have other methods to stop bleeding if it occurs?? Also any other suggestions about the atra double blades for the HeadBlade?

Buy alum pencil. They work like a charm.

Offline THier

• Super Sly
  • Sorry for bad camera phone pic,,
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 10:56:37 AM »
Going to give it a few more days then see what happens. Curious thing is I had no problems with the original blade that came on the HeadBlade. Only yesterday when i changed over to the Atra blade did I get cut.

That is my exact story, Never nicked the top bump,,, Until I tried the Sensor blade.

Tom

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »

Hey I'll swap you a brand new Sensor to try for a new Atra.

Tom

Tom, I would gladly send you all the dang atras I had - but after last time I butchered my head with the HB, I threw them all in the trash (This is before I joined SBG - or I would have offered them up.) The HB was in the trash, too - but wife retrieved it from the trash and scolded me for tossing out a "gift."

Enter your email address: