Author Topic: Central Florida 7th grader called racist for wearing Palin t-shirt  (Read 5263 times)

Offline baldking

• Brian
  • Sly
  • "The time is now"
    • bald head shine
Unbelievable  :x!  MC Cain in the membrane!!  what is next

By Melissa DiPane
FOX 35 NEWS

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- She's only 12 years old but Ashleigh Jones is feeling the heat of this election year.

That’s because the seventh grader at New Smyrna Beach Middle School was called a racist by classmates for wearing a pro-Sarah Palin t-shirt.

Jones is volunteering at the Republican Headquarters in New Smyrna Beach. The Palin t-shirt was a gift from her fellow volunteers.
VIDEO: --Student called out for political t-shirt But when she wore it to school she learned just how tough politics can be.

“Some of the students were calling me racist because I was Caucasian,” she said. “I wanted the Caucasian man to win. And I told them that’s not true. It’s my freedom of speech, it’s my opinion.”

Jones' parents say they aren't mad at the school they just want everyone including their daughter to voice their opinion constructively.

Officials with Volusia County Schools said there were no referrals or complaints to the office about this incident.

Ashleigh said that more of her friends are expressing their views by wearing political t-shirts and she plans to wear hers again.

http://www.baldheadshine.com
slimgoodbody@hotmail.com

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Central Florida 7th grader called racist for wearing Palin t-shirt
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »
What has this country become when even the children are attacked by the bigots. Shame Shame Shame.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 12:23:58 PM »
Yes, I agree it's a shame , hopefully some day it will all change, but not holding my breath... :-\

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 08:31:44 PM »
I'm going to bite my tongue on this one..... I don't think I could stick to proper Forum protocol here...............
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline KollegeKreed

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »
Im pretty sure this post is against forum rules.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:47:32 PM »
Im pretty sure this post is against forum rules.

I'm pretty sure it's a post about a current news story.  I don't recall any rules against those.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 10:19:58 PM »
Whether or not this is political - I will leave for someone else to decide. But what saddens me about this story is this: Little girl volunteers her time, and is given a T shirt for her troubles. She wears it (I assume proudly) to show she's worked hard at something ...and catches guff from her schoolmates over it? What kept running through my mind as I read the original post was "She's only 12!" :'(

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »
Whether or not this is political - I will leave for someone else to decide. But what saddens me about this story is this: Little girl volunteers her time, and is given a T shirt for her troubles. She wears it (I assume proudly) to show she's worked hard at something ...and catches guff from her schoolmates over it? What kept running through my mind as I read the original post was "She's only 12!" :'(

Scott... you're exactly correct.

Kollege..... I agree with Razor. Definetly not against the Forum rules to point out a news story.

Offline KollegeKreed

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 11:54:59 PM »
As long as we can also post poll result news storys, campaign news stories, etc...Fine with me.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 01:14:57 AM »
Regardless of which candidate is the subject, a 7th grade classroom is no place for politics. Leave the political t-shirts home.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 05:10:46 AM »
As long as we can also post poll result news storys, campaign news stories, etc...Fine with me.

Now that would be pushing the limits and probably be a violation. A story about a kid being harassed because of s shirt they wore is one thing. A story about which candidate leads in an election is a TOTALLY different, and politically centered , subject.

Let it go Man............

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 06:22:18 AM »

Um, you don't get to call the shots around here.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 06:43:06 AM »
Here's how I see it.

1. We all have our own various politial beliefs

2. We all..supposedly read the rules set forth by the moderators of this website and we should respect them. I'm sure alot of work was put into developing this site and the owners were kind enough to give all SLY guys somewhere to have friendly and respectful fellowship.  The least we can do is follow the forum as set up and be respectful of the moderators and each other.

3. If someone dosen't like the rules and simply wants to bitch about what can or cannot be posted..sorry for you..don't let the door hit you in the lower backside on the way out.

4. Calling a 12th grader racist is a low, low thing to do.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »

Now that would be pushing the limits and probably be a violation. A story about a kid being harassed because of s shirt they wore is one thing. A story about which candidate leads in an election is a TOTALLY different, and politically centered , subject.

Let it go Man............

Thanks, Mike.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »
Have to agree with Tom, what is the world coming to? She sore a T-shirt she worked hard for.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Enter your email address: