Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605597 times)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #930 on: December 13, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »
of all of the guys who i have seen posti g about this you seem to be one of the few who is actually pleased.

do you have a series of photos you could share?

were you already thin/mpb before you devided to do this?

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #931 on: December 14, 2016, 04:58:09 PM »
of all of the guys who i have seen posti g about this you seem to be one of the few who is actually pleased.

If you read through the entire thread, I think you'll find that more people were pleased with the results than dissapointed.  Give me another week or so and I'll post some pics.  I just had session 4 on Friday and it takes about 2 weeks for all of the hair that responds to finally fall out. 

I don't think I have any from before starting, but I have some from after the second treatment.  When I started my hair was receding on the top, but not terribly.  I didn't really have any balding on the sides or back yet.

Offline Wound

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #932 on: December 16, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »
Just reporting back with an update. So the manager took over my treatment and ramped up the Alexandrite settings to 20 joules at 20mm spot size. My god did this hurt! I have a high pain tolerance but this was off the charts. A couple of times I had a blister from a burn- but I never complained because I knew the settings had to be high. I had 4 sessions on these settings and it did help get rid of the silly looking rings on the side of the head. It also helped a bit with the thick band of hair at the back- the band wasn't quite as wide but it was still very noticeable. She was very surprised that it hadn't worked completely around the back. I was so frustrated as I was so sick and tired of looking ridiculous with that tensing thick band of dark hair across the back of my head.

So two weeks a go we tried the YAG laser and I'm pleased to say it has worked really well on that band of thick hair across the back of my head. It's taken 2 weeks to shed. It's not perfect but it's so much better already after only 1 YAG session. I'm going to hug my technician when I see her in a couple of weeks.

This has been a long frustrating and stressful journey over the last 15 months but I think I'm finally getting there. I still have some stubble but it's not too bad- and hopefully a few more YAG sessions will knock it off. Around the ears/sideburns area needs some attention still.

My first YAG session settings were 24 joules at 18mm spot size. The pain was absolutely ridiculous. It was honestly horrific. I couldn't drive home straight away- I needed to sit down with a glass of water for 10 minutes. My head was thumping. I did blister again this time. But it's all for a good cause.

So my suggestion for anyone left with dark resilient patches at the back of the head- move to the YAG laser- I wish I had done so earlier.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp - Just Askin'
« Reply #933 on: December 17, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »
Hello Guys:

I think I know the answer that I will receive from you all; but just in case:

I have been told numerous times that laser will not remove hair that has already turned grey.  I have a completely bearded Tragus (ear) and it is impossible to shave well in front of my ears.  But my hair has already gone grey and the beard/sideburn  hair is the very thickest and coarsest that I have.

Has ANYONE had any success with laser hair removal of hairs like mine?

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #934 on: December 19, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
Thanks for the Update.  I'll have to ask my tech about trying the YAG when I go in for my touch up next week.  I had the discussion once, but she said the Alex should be more effective, as it's a higher power laser than the YAG.  My 4th session doesn't seem to have done much, so at this point it's probably worth it to try the other laser and see what happens.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #935 on: December 19, 2016, 04:56:43 PM »

I'm really pleased with the results of my laser treatments.  After the first treatment, I had two spots on the back of my head that were still dark, each about 1" x 3".  These continued to get smaller with each treatment and were gone by the fourth treatment.  I've had a total of nine treatments and at this point I have no noticeable shadow or hairline anymore - I look completely bald.  The laser does not work on grey hair, so I still shave to remove that, but I can go several days without noticeable growth.

Offline sasha1

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #936 on: December 20, 2016, 09:11:17 AM »
My first YAG session settings were 24 joules at 18mm spot size. The pain was absolutely ridiculous. It was honestly horrific. I couldn't drive home straight away- I needed to sit down with a glass of water for 10 minutes. My head was thumping. I did blister again this time. But it's all for a good cause.

thanks for settings of your YAG session.
i made my test session with YAG today on 10mm spot size with 35 joules power.
will see results after 2-3 weeks.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:53:49 AM by sasha1 »
sorry for my bad english

Offline sasha1

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #937 on: December 20, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »
little thoughts about Alexandrite and Nd:YAG lasers for scalp hair epilation.

first of all, when i tried to google the effective depth of laser penetration i found a lot of illustrations where the Diode and Alexandrite lasers have mostly the same depth, not reaching the follicule, and the Nd:YAG depth much more deeper and reachs the follicule.

second, the description of Nd:YAG system equipment claims that Nd:Yag not only contentrate emitted energy in melanin of hair, but also in hemoglobin and oxyhemoglobin, thus destructing the blood circulatory system feeding the hair.

third, i found Candela's article about thats two lasers, and thats some points taken from it:

1. Wavelengths of lasers:

alexandrite - 755 nm,
diode - 810nm,
Nd:YAG - 1064nm

2. Emitting diffusion factor :

Longer waves have deeper penetration

3. Emitting absorption by melanin factor :

Short waves have great absorption level in superficial layer of skin. Thats why it can reach only hair bodies (or stem, not sure how it translates to english) and not deep located bulbs.
Opposite to short waves, Nd:YAG can penetrate the skin deeply and reach deep located bulbs.

4. Photothermolysis selectivity level (the relation between the temperature of heated follicule and the temperature of epidermis) factor :

Only waves greater than 1000nm (like Nd:YAG) provides this relation greater than 1 (in other words, follicule temperature is greater than skin temperature) on the depth greater than 3mm.

5.  Spot size and depth relation:

To avoid the effect of emmiting diffusion the spot must be greater than desired penetration depth (follicule location depth in our case).

---

My hair follicules located on 5-6mm depth. And all that points explains me why my Alexandrite sessions have such undistinguished results.

Im not a doctor. Thats only what i found in open sources, trying to use mostly scientific resources. Translated as good as I can.

Lets share knowledge, lets share what equipment and settings you used on your succesful sessions.
sorry for my bad english

Offline Marc_ldn

« Reply #938 on: January 16, 2017, 02:09:14 AM »
Remember laser hair will not work on grey and blonde hair. It's hair reduction not complete removal. I had 9 sessions in London I still have a shadow although i was greying.
It's expensive yes cost me £131.00 each session..
I feel for me it was worth it but don't expect to remove everything just bare in mind you will still have to shave from time to time.
Good luck

Offline aimeusdietger

« Reply #939 on: January 19, 2017, 01:51:55 AM »
Laser hair removal is a tempting procedure for anyone who does not have a fun shaving experience because let's face it..shaving can be annoying at times. The risks are very minimal according to the research I have done and the results are quite amazing. It's definitely something to consider.

leaned | https://www.guidomaggi.com/us/men/boots/ | info

here minotaurfightstore minotaurfightstore
minotaurfightstore
minotaurfightstore go minotaurfightstore minotaurfightstore

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 01:22:42 AM by aimeusdietger »
life

Offline Juansito

« Reply #940 on: January 21, 2017, 07:05:29 PM »
Anyone know a good spot for laser treatment in New York?

Offline viccash

« Reply #941 on: January 22, 2017, 02:10:07 AM »
Anyone know a good spot for laser treatment in New York?

For everyone in New York, I highly recommend Satori Laser. Very clean, very friendly and knowledgeable staff, and very high quality machines. Visit:

http://www.satorilaser.com/

They have several locations in New York.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:16:28 AM by viccash »

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #942 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
Quick update.  For those who have really dark, thick hair that isn't as responsive to the Alex laser, switch to the YAG.

I had my first 4 treatments with the Alex.  The first treatment nearly eliminated all of the hair on the top.  Second and third each responded a little less effectively, but still gave me some additional recession on the sides and the bottom of the back.  Fourth treatment didn't seem to do much at all.

After reading up a little more on this thread, I convinced my tech to switch me to the YAG for treatment 5.  about 7 or 8 days after my YAG treatment, I noticed that what was left on the sides and back seemed to be growing in slower.  I usually shave every two days (for comfort reasons) and I needed to wait 3 or 4 days instead.  About 14 days after my YAG treatment, I noticed the back had become very patchy, with large portions finally responding.  Not completely eliminated like the first few treatments with the Alex, but significantly reduced thickness and growth rate.

I just had my touch up for treatment 5, so I'll check back in a couple of weeks and let everyone know whether the patchiness is reduced further.

Big thanks to @Wound and @Sasha1 for their recommendations there.

Offline Conservator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #943 on: March 06, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
What is the approximate cost of each treatment?
I'm not bald I'm follicly challenged.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #944 on: March 07, 2017, 09:39:02 AM »
It depends on where you live.  If you follow the link Viccash posted below, you'll see a $200+ dollar price tag in the New York City area.