Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605663 times)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #870 on: June 12, 2016, 05:46:27 AM »
Do what you desire. We are all different.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #871 on: June 26, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
Well now I'm a few weeks down from 1 treatment, and I gotta say I'm amazed how effective it's been, though I am a realist who knows it is going to be law of diminishing returns on further treatments, even still I can't see needing anywhere near 10-12 like their suggestion said it could take. But had no side effects at all (other than less hair!)
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #872 on: June 27, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »
Glad to hear you are seeing good results after the first treatment.  Your shadow should continue to diminish with additional treatments.  It takes multiple treatments to effectively slow / stop the regrowth of hair, so depending on how persistent your hair is you may not need as many treatments. 

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #873 on: July 12, 2016, 08:50:47 PM »
We finally paid off the last of our consumer debt (other than the house) and I set aside some money for laser.  I just made my first appointment for 7/26.  Did some research, found a place with good reviews that has both main laser types available, sounds knowledgeable, and has a good rating with the BBB.  My main goals are as follows:

-Eliminate folliculitis
-Speed up shaving times
-Eliminate shadow

I'm hoping I can accomplish those with only 4 - 6 treatments, but we'll see what they think at the consult.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #874 on: July 14, 2016, 02:55:29 AM »
We finally paid off the last of our consumer debt (other than the house) and I set aside some money for laser.  I just made my first appointment for 7/26.  Did some research, found a place with good reviews that has both main laser types available, sounds knowledgeable, and has a good rating with the BBB.  My main goals are as follows:

-Eliminate folliculitis
-Speed up shaving times
-Eliminate shadow

I'm hoping I can accomplish those with only 4 - 6 treatments, but we'll see what they think at the consult.

How much per treatment if you dont mind me asking?

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #875 on: July 14, 2016, 10:33:07 AM »
I haven't had my consult yet, but they said depending on that, they baseline at $90 per session for full scalp.  Prices have come way down in the past year or so.  If you're paying much more than that, it's because it's a full dermatologists office with all of the medical overhead, or it's a salon setting where they cater to the elite.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #876 on: July 14, 2016, 11:00:17 AM »
I had laser treatment to remove 4 tats but stopped after the 3rd treatment about 2 years ago as it was costly (£170) per session for 4 tats and very very painful!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #877 on: July 14, 2016, 04:03:32 PM »
I've had seven laser treatments on my scalp.  I used a numbing cream immediately before the first three to reduce the pain and discomfort.  I've done the last four without numbing cream and the pain is bearable.  Much will depend on the darkness and density of your hair because dark absorbs more light energy (it's why lasers are ineffective on blond hair - they don't absorb enough energy). 

If your tattoos were very dark and complex, I can see why the laser removal was very painful.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #878 on: July 16, 2016, 01:44:46 AM »
I haven't used numbing cream but I certainly felt it, especially in those few spots where my hair was thick

Offline DeanJones

• Dean Jones
  • Sly Jr.
  • Baldie for life!!!
« Reply #879 on: August 07, 2016, 05:26:17 PM »
Looked into getting lasered, I have made an initial consultation, and I'm going to do it.
For me the biggest issue is the time to get to the appointment,otherwise, the price is right, and the idea of being permanently bald is attractive to me.
I have a few concerns
1. Red marks on my head after a session. I don't want to go to work with red marks, I have been told this is not an issue, but it worries me.
2. I worry about it not taking and starting to grow back again after a bit.

Has anyone had experience with this Laser that wants to share?
I want to be permanently bald. I've tried inhibitors, but they don't work. I'm happy to take a more drastic step if it means I'm permanently smooth.
I'm bald, and I love it! Bald is the best! Bald for life!

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #880 on: August 08, 2016, 06:52:55 AM »
Well Dean, I can say in my experience in laser, there has been zero redness even straight afterwards, and after 2 sessions the main patch of hair i can grow is about 3x1.5 inches on the back of my head, so i doubt i will make it beyond 5 sessions

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #881 on: August 08, 2016, 10:26:39 AM »
I had my first session two weeks ago.  No numbing creams or pain meds.  My skin is light enough that they were able to use the Alex laser, rather than the YAG.  I have extremely thick, dense hair, except on the top where my hairline is receding.

It certainly hurts, but it's over quickly.  I think she was done with my entire scalp in about 10 minutes, 15 max.  I didn't have any redness at all.  It was sore, like a sunburn, for 2 or 3 days.  I did get some bumps a few days later where the lasered hairs were trapped.  I exfoliated really well for 3 or 4 days and that seemed to go away pretty quickly.  The exfoliation made the soreness last a little longer, but you don't want all of those trapped hairs turning into ingrowns. 

Two weeks in, and I let my hair grow out for 5 days.  You can now see where the laser treatment was effective.  I've already got patchiness around the edges of my hairlines in about a 3/4" strip.

I think it will take at least 4 sessions to see significant results for me, but I think it will be worth it.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #882 on: August 08, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »
Dean,

Your results will depend on several factors - skin sensitivity, hair color, skill of the technician, etc.  I have very fair skin and have not experienced any red spots or even prolonged redness after my sessions.  If you have a lot of grey hair or fair hair, the laser doesn't do much for them, so they will continue to grow, but will be softer and easy to shave. As for growing back, I can't answer that at this point.

I used numbing cream before the first two sessions, but not in the next six.  The pain is bearable and the treatment goes pretty quickly.  Right after the treatment, expect your scalp to feel tight and slightly sore - like a mild sunburn.  That should go away in a day.  After the first treatment, all I had left were two patches ion the back of my head, each about 2 inches by an inch.  These were completely gone by the end of the fourth treatment.  At first, I expected to shed hair, but didn't really notice anything until about two weeks after the first treatment when one morning, I realized the hair on the top and sides was gone and my hairline had all but disappeared. 

PM me if you have other questions.

Offline Nickd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #883 on: August 09, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
I've had three sessions done so far. I don't use any numbing cream or pain meds. The only place that gets my attention is the back of my neck. The top doesn't hurt and the sides are just slightly noticeable on the pain scale. I go to a dermatologist backed by a hospital. So I pay a lot more than most others. I chose this primarily for the added benefit of having the comfort of knowing the dermatologist was properly trained and licensed.

Init I was scheduled for 6 treatments, but it'll likely go around 8 treatments to fully achieve 100% no hair.

It has so far been very effective and to this point I wo recommend it to anyone considering laser. I'll give more updates later on in the process and adjust my opinion if needed.

Offline Calvo1029

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #884 on: August 15, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
For those of you who have done this, how often do you shave now, and how long until you have a shadow, or do you not anymore?
If only I could figure out how to get rid of the hair that still comes back...

Enter your email address: