Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 609112 times)

Offline freckleddome

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #675 on: June 03, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your posts!  I am new this forum and am glad I found it!  I've been shaving my head for about 2 years now and I decided to get it laser-removed.  My first session is tomorrow.  I'll be honest, I am a bit nervous about the whole ordeal!  Reading through some of these stories and others' experiences has helped.  For that, I thank you!  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Offline Dexter Chrome Dome

« Reply #676 on: June 04, 2013, 12:16:13 AM »
Thanks San Cisco. Im guessing that was for me. Im excited about this! Anyone on the fence I say do it! If you are at all balding or will be bald its worth it. I wish I knew about this 5 years ago. Id have a smooth head by now!

Offline fewef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #677 on: June 09, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
Just went though my first session. I see some people got all hair removed by the first one, but after 4 days it's quite the same as before. They used Alexandrite with setting 19, and I even got a little bruise because of heat. I can't imagine going through with 22. Though it looks like it grows a bit slower than usual and very coarse.
I read the whole thread and my experience was very similar. It was not pleasant (especially at the back), but I felt very happy just by thinking I can get rid of it one day. I was really elevated, so I'd even go through it every day for months just to get free of the horseshoe. Nothing like patches... nothing. It was burning, it was painful in some particular places, but yet nothing apparent. :( Hopefully it will be after two more sessions.
Another problem the doc said to get back in September...after 3 months??? That's too much.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:00:10 PM by fewef »

Offline San Cisco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #678 on: June 09, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »

Hey Fewef,

3 months is against all the recommendations I have heard so far.
All of them say between 4-6 weeks.

Regarding the power settings 19 is crazy for the first session.
I think I started with 12 as a standard to avoid burns and hyper pigmentation.

You may want to double check those guys, mate!
Good Luck
Regards from Melbourne,

Jack

Offline bigstosh

• Sly
  • Proudly bald since May 18, 2012
« Reply #679 on: June 18, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
Thanks for the input and for keeping this post going.  Since my hair is grayer and thinning more as I age, as well as the fact that I never intend to grow my hair back, I am in the early stages of thinking about a permanent solution.
Stan

Offline bigstosh

• Sly
« Reply #680 on: June 18, 2013, 08:10:34 AM »
This is a complete change in my thinking, since I have never considered doing anything to my body that is permanent, that's why I don't have any tattoos or piercings.
Stan

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #681 on: June 18, 2013, 08:48:13 AM »
Thanks for the input and for keeping this post going.  Since my hair is grayer and thinning more as I age, as well as the fact that I never intend to grow my hair back, I am in the early stages of thinking about a permanent solution.
This is a complete change in my thinking, since I have never considered doing anything to my body that is permanent, that's why I don't have any tattoos or piercings.

If it is something that you know that you want, why not go for it? Good luck and keep us posted!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline bigstosh

• Sly
« Reply #682 on: June 20, 2013, 06:11:32 PM »
I have found a place that will laser off my scalp hair.  Next step will be to go for a consultation and check out pricing.  I'm moving slowly on this because this is a huge step for a guy who can still grow a pretty good head of hair when he wants to.   Also, knowing human nature, once my hair is permanently removed, I may regret it and want it back.  Sounds like fear of commitment.
Stan

Offline J313

« Reply #683 on: June 23, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »
Whats up fellas.I found this thread before I took the big plunge.Ive had 3 sessions so far here in Detroit.Mannnnn does it hurt! Every session I end up very swollen,with red bumps all over my head.Ive been using hydrocordizone cream and aloe to speed up the healing process.My entire scalp has small burns on it.After a week,it goes away.They are charging me 100 bucks a session,and say it will take at least 6 sessions.The worst part is the patchiness between sessions.Ive been wearing a hat constantly lol.Every spot they have hit,there is a bald spot though.Ill keep you you guys updated

Offline fewef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #684 on: June 24, 2013, 12:03:55 PM »

Hey Fewef,

3 months is against all the recommendations I have heard so far.
All of them say between 4-6 weeks.

Regarding the power settings 19 is crazy for the first session.
I think I started with 12 as a standard to avoid burns and hyper pigmentation.

You may want to double check those guys, mate!
Good Luck

Mey San Cisco. Thank you. I will go after a month again. The doc said settings differ on different machines, though they all may use the same laser.
I'm really pleased with first session results. It's only 3 weeks (it wasn't visible for 2 weeks I think), and the sides are now quite smoother. I had quite some irritation, and I think you can mildly shave after 3-5 days, but not against the grain (after a week you can). I was really scared, as I got lots of itching dots, and it looked quite pronounced. The toilet seat is still there, and I think it will be not easy to beat, but generally I like it even now much better.
On the pic the left is before. It's more uniform, but if you look closer you'll see the follicles are less visible in the second and the transition is much more visible.
The first time I did it, then my mind started thinking "wow, now it's really over... no hair will be on my head for the lifetime". Then I started thinking logically - hey, I'm bald for 10 years, and still can't accept it (and I won't, ever). So what are sentiments for this nw7 stripe. It's just psychologically hard to understand you really lost it. But...
 Then, when the hair goes away from laser, you feel amazing joy (no I'm not exaggerating). It's hard to explain, but clear dome is so much more appealing. Maybe it's because you understand you won't shave those bastards off again, because it's really so much you can do about it, and now they are gone. I'm so much awaiting for the next session.
First I started noticing it when rubbing my head, I felt some patches are very smooth on sides. I first thought it's from shaving, but they were quite big. I don't know, maybe it will grow back after the session 6 as some people say, we'll see, but so far so good.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:13:14 PM by fewef »

Offline 2ManyShoes

« Reply #685 on: June 25, 2013, 02:49:16 PM »
Hi, first post (though been lurking for ages).  Tired of the daily scrape and am interested in laser but cannot find anyone in my area who is willing to do it.  They say the scalp is "too vascular" to be treated by the laser.  Anybody in the Kansas City area found a provider who does it?

Cheers.

Offline fewef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #686 on: July 02, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »
Hi there. I want to share one aspect of pain relief. In areas, where you feel too much pain, ask to make by a single impulse (with bigger intervals in time), not several impulses in a row. It was a drastic difference, since I asked for this when making at the back of my head. It was like 5 times easier, though a bit longer.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:07:25 PM by fewef »

Offline Thebaldnation

• wanting to bring our Bald community closer together
  • Sly
    • ThebaldNation
« Reply #687 on: July 06, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »
i have give laser treatment alot of thought, i like the idea alot, but what i like alot about being bald by choice is, being bald by choice. The one thing that stops me from laser is that then i wont have a choice anymore, i like the ritual of shaving.
<!-- Facebook Badge START --><a href="http://www.facebook.com/people/Baldguy-Thebaldnationsbest/1827707468" title="Baldguy Thebaldnationsbest" target="_TOP" style="font-family: &quot;lucida grande&quot;,tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-
[url=http

Offline Ostrich

« Reply #688 on: July 09, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »
Hello,

First time poster, long time lurker here.

I registered today to share my experience with laser hair reduction.  I've had 5 treatments on my scalp over the course of 6 months and am thrilled with the results.  I was suffering terribly from folliculitis (razor bumps) and after a lengthy battle using topical lotions, creams, different blades, barber's clippers, etc., I decided I would investigate laser therapy before giving up.  I am glad I did.

The pain is terrible.  Just go in expecting it to hurt.  And, I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but the device used on my scalp was in fact an IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) machine, not a true laser.  It is called the ProWave 770 and it works like a charm (at least on me it did.  I can't vouch for anyone else because I'm the only local guy I know who has done this to his scalp).  But yes, the pain is terrifically bad.  You'll wonder why in the hell you ever thought laser hair reduction was a good idea in the first place!  If you have any left over narcotics from previous medical procedures I would take them before each treatment.  The good news is each treatment takes only about 3 minutes.  The first one took perhaps about 5.

YOU WILL HAVE PATCHES.  Let me say this again.  YOU WILL HAVE PATCHES.  It is unavoidable from what I understand.  You can have the most thorough tech in the world working on your noggin and due to various factors, such as hair growth cycles and the angle of the laser, they will not be able to target every follicle every treatment.  As such it is wise to invest in a hat you won't mind wearing every day for several months.  My patchiness disappeared completely after my 4th treatment (with the majority of it being gone after the 3rd).  These days I can literally use the same disposable razor 12 times on my remaining peach fuzz before it gets dull.

Would I do it again?  Yes.  Overwhelmingly, yes.  My folliculitis was completely cured after my 2nd treatment.  It's truly amazing.  I now have the smoothest dome in town.  And I know you "I hate my shadow" guys will be happy if you decide laser hair reduction is right for you.  I can hardly tell where my old hairline was.  It's expensive though.  Keep that in mind.

A big thanks to my dermatologist and all her staff.  Another big thanks to the members of this board for discussing this topic in the first place and giving me the notion to see if it could solve my problem!

P.S. Here's my "technical specs": Mid-20's, pale white dude with (until laser off) brown hair.

Offline San Cisco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #689 on: July 20, 2013, 04:50:05 AM »

3 Weeks have passed since my 8/9th treatment.

Here's my overall experience:

Be prepared for 1 year of embarassing moments (wearing a cap to cover the patches).

But today, I can finally say that have absolutely zero shadow.  ;D

It seems to me it was one of the best decisions of my life!

I will stay around to help anyone who is still on the fence and looking for help!

Have a great weekend!

Regards from Melbourne,

Jack