Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 606024 times)

Offline Larryj357

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #495 on: March 03, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
It was special for $1500 for 6 sessions and $35 per session after that for 2 years.

Going in was nervous and I walked releaved. They used the Candela YAG with the cooling spray. There policy is start out on setting 6 to prevent any problems. I was told that she will double it every session until 30 and use that until we are done. First let me say the believe it or not that cooling spray makes a difference. Not sure if it's the different sensation or the cool wet feeling. She stated out with my front neck and it was a little painful, but more annoying than unbearable. Then she went to my face and the
 Scalp. I shaved my head against the grain and I didn't on my neck. I said that to say it didn't hurt at all on my head. It was so simple and easy to be honest. She did all 3 areas with 15% overlap with in about 45 minutes. I took the Motrin and didn't use any topical creams. Next session will be a good test to see if the higher setting makes any difference on the scalp as far as pain is concerned. There was no pain afterwards and no visible marks. I really don't feel like anything has been done. Again with the lower setting this could be different next time. I will make a point to shave against the grain under my neck to get a much close shave and see if that makes a difference as far as pain. If all the session go this smooth I will be very happy. I hope my experience helps someone else out.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #496 on: March 04, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
It was special for $1500 for 6 sessions and $35 per session after that for 2 years.

Going in was nervous and I walked releaved. They used the Candela YAG with the cooling spray. There policy is start out on setting 6 to prevent any problems. I was told that she will double it every session until 30 and use that until we are done. First let me say the believe it or not that cooling spray makes a difference. Not sure if it's the different sensation or the cool wet feeling. She stated out with my front neck and it was a little painful, but more annoying than unbearable. Then she went to my face and the
 Scalp. I shaved my head against the grain and I didn't on my neck. I said that to say it didn't hurt at all on my head. It was so simple and easy to be honest. She did all 3 areas with 15% overlap with in about 45 minutes. I took the Motrin and didn't use any topical creams. Next session will be a good test to see if the higher setting makes any difference on the scalp as far as pain is concerned. There was no pain afterwards and no visible marks. I really don't feel like anything has been done. Again with the lower setting this could be different next time. I will make a point to shave against the grain under my neck to get a much close shave and see if that makes a difference as far as pain. If all the session go this smooth I will be very happy. I hope my experience helps someone else out.

Congratulations on your first session! Tell us how it goes after 2-3 weeks when the hair is supposed to fall...

marty22

« Reply #497 on: March 04, 2011, 03:39:57 PM »
go for it; but be warned...its not a perfect science.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #498 on: March 04, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »

In terms of pain?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #499 on: March 04, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

In terms of pain?

In terms of results.  Rarely does it result in 100% hair loss.  Whatever hair proves to be resistant to the laser is usually not cosmetically acceptable because it tends to be very patchy.  That means that you are left with no choice but to shave daily.  No getting lazy and skipping the odd day.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #500 on: March 05, 2011, 01:46:07 AM »

If it's done correctly, then it can't be patched in the long run. Patchy hairloss is a result of poor tehnician and/or settings of the laser.
If 1 of your hair is not resistant to laser, then it means that all hair is not resistant, too.
Unless they are white/grey.

marty22

« Reply #501 on: March 05, 2011, 10:52:11 AM »
correct..in terms of success. thats why I have advised people (privately via e-mail) not to consider lasering the entire scalp without knowing that you still may have to shave periodically.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #502 on: March 05, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »
correct..in terms of success. thats why I have advised people (privately via e-mail) not to consider lasering the entire scalp without knowing that you still may have to shave periodically.

Considering the fact that greys will also remain, you would have to shave in each case scenario... along with occasional peach fuzz.

But the fact that the dark shadow is gone or diminished to minimum, makes the money worth of it, in my opinion.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #503 on: March 05, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »

Considering the fact that greys will also remain, you would have to shave in each case scenario... along with occasional peach fuzz.

But the fact that the dark shadow is gone or diminished to minimum, makes the money worth of it, in my opinion.

It's not just the greys.  A lot of people have more than one hair color.  The hair can be mostly dark but there can be a lot of blond or red hairs mixed in.  Those can be more resistant to the laser.  And that may or may not be a significant amount of hair, depending on the person. Also, no matter what they tell you, some of the hair does grow back eventually.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #504 on: March 05, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »

It's not just the greys.  A lot of people have more than one hair color.  The hair can be mostly dark but there can be a lot of blond or red hairs mixed in.  Those can be more resistant to the laser.  And that may or may not be a significant amount of hair, depending on the person. Also, no matter what they tell you, some of the hair does grow back eventually.

I agree with the non-black hair statement - I forgot about it. Razor, how many treatments have you had?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #505 on: March 05, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »
I haven't had it done on my scalp.  I had my back, shoulders and chest done about four years ago.  I had way too much hair on my chest -- a combination of black, red, blond and some scattered greys.  The laser took care of the really dark hairs, and gave me about an 80% reduction, which is about what I'd been told to expect.

For a long time afterwards, the remaining hair had an odd pattern -- you could easily see the "lines" from the laser.  That wasn't a problem on the chest, but I'd have been very unhappy if I'd had that on my head.  Some of the hair has grown back and it looks more natural now.  No one would ever be able to tell that I'd had it done, except if they compared some before and after photos.

It was worth having done, because I was never comfortable with that overabundance of chest hair -- which was very wiry and prickly.  But I never got 100% hair free, which I would have liked to have done.  I can only assume that scalp hair, which is generally thicker than body hair, would be more difficult to remove.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #506 on: March 05, 2011, 03:56:24 PM »
I haven't had it done on my scalp.  I had my back, shoulders and chest done about four years ago.  I had way too much hair on my chest -- a combination of black, red, blond and some scattered greys.  The laser took care of the really dark hairs, and gave me about an 80% reduction, which is about what I'd been told to expect.

For a long time afterwards, the remaining hair had an odd pattern -- you could easily see the "lines" from the laser.  That wasn't a problem on the chest, but I'd have been very unhappy if I'd had that on my head.  Some of the hair has grown back and it looks more natural now.  No one would ever be able to tell that I'd had it done, except if they compared some before and after photos.

It was worth having done, because I was never comfortable with that overabundance of chest hair -- which was very wiry and prickly.  But I never got 100% hair free, which I would have liked to have done.  I can only assume that scalp hair, which is generally thicker than body hair, would be more difficult to remove.

But how many sessions have you had on your chest? If it was only one, or 2-3, it's impossible to get hair-free state.
Also, around 8-10 is an average number of sessions that is needed for substantial results, maybe even 2-3 more for some people.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #507 on: March 05, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »

But how many sessions have you done on chest? If it was only one, or 2-3, it's impossible to get hair-free state.
Also, around 8-10 is an average number of sessions that is needed for substantial results, maybe even 2-3 more for some people.

It was about 7 or 8 sessions; I don't remember exactly.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #508 on: March 05, 2011, 04:08:49 PM »

But how many sessions have you done on chest? If it was only one, or 2-3, it's impossible to get hair-free state.

It was about 7 or 8 sessions; I don't remember exactly.

Well, if you have had an 80% reduction on your chest, like you said, I think it's actually substantial improvement.

Also, the fact that hair on the head is coarser, doesn't have to mean that it's more difficult to remove, actualy it can be opposite - because dark area is larger, and the laser targets it more easily. However, it is significantly denser than body hair, and that's when problems (and number of sessions) start. So far, Common and Jason66 have been the most succesfull cases here, at least based on their own reports.

Offline JAT1980

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #509 on: March 05, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »
I just joined the site today after viewing this topic and others for quite some time.  I really love this site.  I have some of the same problems/questions that many others have.  Just some background...  I am 30 and have been losing my hair since I was 17ish.  I have been shaving for about 7 years now and love it.  i wish I would have just done this when I first starting losing.  Instead I got HT done at 21.  I now have a scar to deal with as well.  I actually did talk to a plastic surgeon (referred to me by a doctor friend) to see what could be done about the scar.  He basically said that there wasn't anything that could be done to the actual scar.  Mine is basically as flat as you can get it so dermabrasion won't do anything.  And its not think enough to have it restiitched.  So he actually said that I might want to try getting the laser hair removal done to minimize the appearance.  I was wondering as well from Marty how the scar looks with the Laser Hair Removal.  I am hoping that this is a good solution for me.  I am newly self employed and as such have not been making the boat loads of cash I was hoping to make yet.  So I don't have the money for the treatments yet.  I bought a epilator and tried tweezing........Yeah that's not going to happen.  It hurt and didn't really do anything.  Well anyways, that is my story and two cents.  Marty I would love to hear your thoughts on the scar area after the LHR.  Thanks!!!! 

Enter your email address: