Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605953 times)

Offline kapt_krunch

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #390 on: April 28, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
Hello everyone.  I read this entire thread yesterday.  Very valuable information here.  I had a consult today and all went very well.  According to the doctor, I will need YAG treatment like Common.  Sad thing was that their YAG laser was down and I couldn't get the complimentary treatment.  They quoted me $233 a treatment for 6 treatments.  Hopefully I can start next month once the laser is repaired. 

I've wanted laser hair removal for quite some time.  My wife likes the stubble and likes my growth at 4 or 5 days but I am ready to be smooth as a babies butt.  Talked her into letting me do it about a month ago and found this wonderful place of like minded individuals a few days ago.  I love the results of all of you pioneers.  I will be adding mine to the mix as well.  A big THANKS to all of you who have paved the way.

marty22

« Reply #391 on: April 28, 2010, 04:58:06 PM »
get two other quotes. good luck and welcome!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #392 on: April 28, 2010, 05:12:04 PM »
Suggest you look at Jason's experience--maybe PM him and get another view.

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=12412.msg205044#msg205044

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #393 on: April 28, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »
I went and got my second treatment today.  I decided to use the standard laser head for the whole thing instead of the Duet.  All I have to say is...OUCH!  Even with their 25% numbing cream, it hurt like a bitch.
Chrome domed for 20 years now.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #394 on: April 28, 2010, 09:21:31 PM »
It's your head  k-k but I would stick with a razor at least for 6 months make sure this is what you want. once you have it lasered off you can't change your mined. Whats the rush ?? :x!
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #395 on: April 29, 2010, 02:03:16 AM »

He could've at least said how many treatments did he got, and which type of laser was used.

BTW, I've never read in this thread, too, that someone has managed to completely remove all of the hair - it seems that the path is to minimise it as much as you can. If I understood correctly, neither Common or Marty22 don't have 100% removed hair, and they say they are content with results and they would do it again.

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #396 on: April 29, 2010, 11:39:45 PM »
That's true.  I'm definitely content with where I'm at, even as I continue treatments to get to 100% bald.

One big difference between me and Jason is that my post-laser head isn't patchy.  Even when the hair is coming back and I don't shave, it's not patchy.  It's a (much) thinner version of my horseshoe, but it's uniform.  In fact, since the thinner version of the horseshoe is close to the thinner hair on the top of my head, it gives the illusion that I have a full head of hair that I recently shaved.  People have started asking me again, "Why don't you just let it grow out?" and "Why do you shave your head?"

When I see some of the patchy jobs on this forum I think there's been an operator error from the technician.  A lot of these laser technicians probably just aren't that familiar with laser hair removal on the head.  I noticed that my technician looks carefully at my scalp with a light and then lasers any sign of hair.  Even if she has to overlap an earlier zap area.  Then she runs her hand over my scalp to see (by touch) if she missed anything and again lasers any sign of hair.  It's painful and a bit tedious, but I'm glad that she's so thorough.

Again, the only reasons not to do laser hair removal are (a) if you're not sure that you want to be bald, and (b) the pain.

He could've at least said how many treatments did he got, and which type of laser was used.

BTW, I've never read in this thread, too, that someone has managed to completely remove all of the hair - it seems that the path is to minimise it as much as you can. If I understood correctly, neither Common or Marty22 don't have 100% removed hair, and they say they are content with results and they would do it again.

marty22

« Reply #397 on: April 30, 2010, 05:35:10 AM »
just go for it! Common: keep up the good work.

Offline bhead1986

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Deesperado
« Reply #398 on: May 01, 2010, 12:32:36 AM »
That's true.  I'm definitely content with where I'm at, even as I continue treatments to get to 100% bald.

One big difference between me and Jason is that my post-laser head isn't patchy.  Even when the hair is coming back and I don't shave, it's not patchy.  It's a (much) thinner version of my horseshoe, but it's uniform.  In fact, since the thinner version of the horseshoe is close to the thinner hair on the top of my head, it gives the illusion that I have a full head of hair that I recently shaved.  People have started asking me again, "Why don't you just let it grow out?" and "Why do you shave your head?"

When I see some of the patchy jobs on this forum I think there's been an operator error from the technician.  A lot of these laser technicians probably just aren't that familiar with laser hair removal on the head.  I noticed that my technician looks carefully at my scalp with a light and then lasers any sign of hair.  Even if she has to overlap an earlier zap area.  Then she runs her hand over my scalp to see (by touch) if she missed anything and again lasers any sign of hair.  It's painful and a bit tedious, but I'm glad that she's so thorough.

Again, the only reasons not to do laser hair removal are (a) if you're not sure that you want to be bald, and (b) the pain.

Hey Common, I am planning on going for my first Appointment on the 10th. I also cant stand the site of my horse shoe especially on the back of my head. I just have some questions for you seeing that you are having much success in your journey and hope you have more as you go. I hope mine goes as well as yours as well.

I wonder if you have any advice i could get from you for me so that it could go as smoothly as possible and to get the best results. Also any advice to give my "doctor" that will be running the laser machine so that it may be as well as yours. Just so i dont get cheaped out and have to keep going and going back because they want more money and just drag it out. I chose a good place with a real doctor so hopefully its not one of those kinds of places. Its also a little more expensive than other places i always say you get what you pay for. Hopefully it reigns true.

Also what treatment are you on? and is your horseshoe at all noticeable when you shave and for how long til you actually notice it?

Thanks Common if you can help me out.

Your Friend, Bradey

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #399 on: May 01, 2010, 03:20:40 AM »
just go for it! Common: keep up the good work.

Marty, is that your recent pic in the avatar?? Looks like you didn't laser-remove your hair at all...  :-\

marty22

« Reply #400 on: May 01, 2010, 05:53:04 AM »
Its 6-12 mos old. The whole top was lasered off. I cant do it all cause I have a lot of gray/white hair. Ahhh.....if I were 25 again, Id have done every strand. LOL Of course B Dangerous still doesnt have a pic up.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:35:08 PM by marty22 »

Offline B.Dangerous

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #401 on: May 01, 2010, 07:26:25 PM »
Thanks Mazzle for being able to read and understand English.  I notice that anytime anybody has a problem or questions the laser process, they are quickly dismissed around here or just told GO GO GO GO GO FOR IT!  Just do it!  Marty says so!  I was actually inspired by Marty and his black and white pic that looked like he was totally bald or at least very close to it.  Now I see, he's not even close to totally bald.  He has a perfect crown.  So he's the number one cheerleader on here for completely lasering your head, but he's never nor can he experience it himself.  I'm not saying weather this is a good procedure or not, just saying don't base your decision at all on the stuff you get on here.  The only true success story I've heard is Common, so unless you're dark skinned and have African American hair type, there is nothing here to convince you.  I'll deal with my own stuff from now on.  Marty, you're a crock!

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #402 on: May 01, 2010, 07:34:22 PM »
Glad to help out, Bradey.  General advice:

(a) Take 3-4 Advils 45 minutes before your treatment
(b) Loofah your head every time you shower 3-15 days after your treatment
(c) Use LOTS of moisturizer or aloe gel and keep out of the sun
(d) Make sure they laser your eyebrows, ears, and nose while you're there--AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE

Advice for your technician:  Be thorough.  Don't be afraid to cause me pain.

Regarding your concerns about "cheaping out..."  My technician (a registered nurse) is probably also the cheapest in town.  Going to an expensive aesthetics doctors office is NO GUARANTEE of quality.  You want someone who has had experience lasering men's heads.  Again, that's experience lasering HEADS.  That's probably not going to be a high end place.  My advice: save your money.

What treatment am I on?  My 8th.  I took my avatar pic after my 3rd visit.

Horseshoe visibility.  Horseshoe is pretty invisible for 5-7 days after shaving for 6-8 weeks after each treatment.

Good luck!

Hey Common, I am planning on going for my first Appointment on the 10th. I also cant stand the site of my horse shoe especially on the back of my head. I just have some questions for you seeing that you are having much success in your journey and hope you have more as you go. I hope mine goes as well as yours as well.

I wonder if you have any advice i could get from you for me so that it could go as smoothly as possible and to get the best results. Also any advice to give my "doctor" that will be running the laser machine so that it may be as well as yours. Just so i dont get cheaped out and have to keep going and going back because they want more money and just drag it out. I chose a good place with a real doctor so hopefully its not one of those kinds of places. Its also a little more expensive than other places i always say you get what you pay for. Hopefully it reigns true.

Also what treatment are you on? and is your horseshoe at all noticeable when you shave and for how long til you actually notice it?

Thanks Common if you can help me out.

Your Friend, Bradey
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:00:10 AM by Common »

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #403 on: May 01, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
The pain is a huge issue.  Most people will probably have a hard time making the 7-10 sessions that are necessary.  It hurts a lot, but gets better as you have less hair.

I went and got my second treatment today.  I decided to use the standard laser head for the whole thing instead of the Duet.  All I have to say is...OUCH!  Even with their 25% numbing cream, it hurt like a bitch.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #404 on: May 01, 2010, 10:07:59 PM »
Thanks Mazzle for being able to read and understand English.  I notice that anytime anybody has a problem or questions the laser process, they are quickly dismissed around here or just told GO GO GO GO GO FOR IT!  Just do it!  Marty says so!  I was actually inspired by Marty and his black and white pic that looked like he was totally bald or at least very close to it.  Now I see, he's not even close to totally bald.  He has a perfect crown.  So he's the number one cheerleader on here for completely lasering your head, but he's never nor can he experience it himself.  I'm not saying weather this is a good procedure or not, just saying don't base your decision at all on the stuff you get on here.  The only true success story I've heard is Common, so unless you're dark skinned and have African American hair type, there is nothing here to convince you.  I'll deal with my own stuff from now on.  Marty, you're a crock!

I think the lack of success stories has more to do with the small sample size than anything else.  I wouldn't be so pessimistic about it.  I don't think there's anything qualitatively different about the head other than the density of the hair and large surface area, which means it requires a good deal of time and pain to cover the head thoroughly.  My nurse, who actually trains others nationwide to do laser procedures, took over 2.5 hours to do my admittedly large head.  (If they take a lot less time, they're probably not covering your head thoroughly, which results in patchiness.)

And, as I understand it, African-Americans actually have a much harder time achieving success than lighter skinned people.  The laser excites the molecules in melanin, so it doesn't just hit your hair.  Therefore, darker folks who have more melanin in their skin must use a lower laser setting to avoid burning the skin.  If you are light skinned, you can get much better results.  I'm a medium complexion, but even I've seen really good results with only a few treatments.  Here's a pict six weeks after my first partial treatment (which was aborted mid-way).  The areas done had almost no hair growth.

So, I'd agree with Common.  If you understand the risks and are truly committed to a chrome dome for life, go for it.  IMO, the caveats are:

• Very painful.  Worse than a tattoo.  You won't be able to stop yourself from flinching in certain areas.  Sessions will be long and mentally exhausting.
  • Will look really bad after treatments.  Some people recover fast, but some take weeks.  (I'm one that takes weeks.  >:()
  • Possible hyper-pigmentation (darkening of the skin), slight burns and even blisters.  The first item is seemingly random and depends on your skin, while the latter two items depend on the aggressiveness of your technician.  A good tech will do some conservative tests and see how you react.  Hyper-pigmentation is rare, but will eventually go away.  (Unfortunately, my skin has gotten some in certain spots.)
  • May take many sessions to achieve good results.  Some people can take eight session to achieve 90-100% hair loss.  I think 6 is the median amount.  Each session needs to be at least 4 weeks apart, so you're looking at months of funky head.
  • You need to stay completely out of the son (darker skin will lead to more burning, so lower settings) or wear tons of sunscreen.

The hard part, as Common said, is finding a good technician.  I don't think there's any easy way to figure out how good they are beforehand.  The only thing I'd suggest is (a) avoid Laser Treatment Centers of America (or something like that) and other laser franchise type deals since they're notorious for having shoddy training, being sued and closing down suddenly, (b) find somewhere that has strong numbing cream that they don't charge extra for and (c) visit as many places as you can and get test patches.  I'd say that you should be willing to drive 60-90 minutes away, if that's what it takes.  It's only once ever four weeks and the results are going to affect you for the rest of your life.  It's worth a few drives if you find a quality place.

(If you really do need to save money, try looking for a place with a LightSheer Duet.  Even though I wouldn't recommend the Duet head for the scalp, many of the places that have invested in the new machine have dropped their prices since sessions to common body areas with the Duet head now take half the time that they did with the standard laser head.)
Chrome domed for 20 years now.