Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605811 times)

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #360 on: March 12, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
    Yeah :: Common..You could be the poster child for Laser Hair Removal.......
   Looks Excellent  (avatar) .................          O0

Offline Jez

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2010, 09:43:25 AM »
I was just curious, but for the people who are having really good results from the treatments, like yourself common. What kind of technique do they use for your sessions, because mine seem to go the way of, the tech will keep increasing the strength of the laser for every new session but will only really go over the area once. But i was thinking that maybe it is better to have a slightly lower setting and go over the areas multiple times. ?

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
It's hard for me to speak too much about technique, since I don't watch the nurse during the procedure.  My sense is that to get complete coverage, the nurse overlaps the dots from each laser impact.  Beyond that, I don't think that she intentionally goes over the area more than once.  She lasers me with a YAG laser on setting 18.

When she finishes there is no hair/stubble on my head, no burns, and no scratches.  Everything hurts, but looks good.  Then she covers everything with a thick layer of aloe gel.

On a side note, I'm going in to try out a Duet laser tomorrow.  I'm a little worried about switching providers/lasers after hearing some of the horror stories here, but (a) I'd love to finish my treatments with less pain and (b) the Duet provider offered to match the price of my current treatment.  I'll report back on how things go.

I was just curious, but for the people who are having really good results from the treatments, like yourself common. What kind of technique do they use for your sessions, because mine seem to go the way of, the tech will keep increasing the strength of the laser for every new session but will only really go over the area once. But i was thinking that maybe it is better to have a slightly lower setting and go over the areas multiple times. ?

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #363 on: March 16, 2010, 03:55:37 PM »
I went in today to get a test patch done with a new laser called the Duet.  The Duet uses a suction/vacuum head to reduce the pain and cover a much larger area with each application.

I was very impressed.  There was no pain.  Just a strong suction cup sensation and a brief moment of heat.  The Duet's head is almost the size of my palm, so I would expect any session to take half the time or less of a traditional laser treatment.  There is the challenge of getting the head to "attach" to different parts of the head.  The therapist and I are going to play around with it next week, but that might be a problem.  Until then, I have to say that the Duet was a big, big improvement.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #364 on: March 16, 2010, 04:46:59 PM »
Yeah, that was my reaction too, Common.  I did test spots with the Duet all over my head, neck and face, and the pain was very manageable even without numbing cream.  By the way, on my head, there was no spot she couldn't do if she pulled the skin around it together.

I got a question for you, though.  In the spots that she tested for you, was the redness in the form of 3 lines like the picture I attached of one of my duet spots?  My technician said that the Duet should destroy all the hairs in the area that is vacuumed, but it seems to have only irritated the areas immediately below each of the 3 lasers in the Duet head.  The hairs in between the three lines seem to be growing normally.
Chrome domed for 20 years now.

marty22

« Reply #365 on: March 16, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »
Chromed for 20 years? jeez...u look under 30.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #366 on: March 16, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »
I wish.   Late 30's.   :XX

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
I had so little hair before Tuesday's pre-treatment that it's impossible to notice a real difference.  Certainly, I don't see a three line pattern.

Yeah, that was my reaction too, Common.  I did test spots with the Duet all over my head, neck and face, and the pain was very manageable even without numbing cream.  By the way, on my head, there was no spot she couldn't do if she pulled the skin around it together.

I got a question for you, though.  In the spots that she tested for you, was the redness in the form of 3 lines like the picture I attached of one of my duet spots?  My technician said that the Duet should destroy all the hairs in the area that is vacuumed, but it seems to have only irritated the areas immediately below each of the 3 lasers in the Duet head.  The hairs in between the three lines seem to be growing normally.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
I had so little hair before Tuesday's pre-treatment that it's impossible to notice a real difference.  Certainly, I don't see a three line pattern.

Yeah, I suppose the irritation is a result of the hairs being burnt, so if you don't have a lot of hair left or it's distributed irregularly, you would not see the pattern.  Thanks for answering, though.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #369 on: March 29, 2010, 03:48:08 PM »
So, I had my first full duet treatment today.  Since it was my first real laser treatment and I still have a full head of hair, I think my reaction is probably very different than Common's reaction, who was already near bald. 

Anyway, it was definitely less painful than a standard laser but not painless.  On areas where the hair is thin or less dense, you really don't feel much at all.  For example, on my neck, I could barely feel it at all.  But on areas with dense coarse hair, there is pain.  I'd say it's about 60% the pain of a standard laser.  It was definitely tolerable.  It didn't cause me to flinch at all, and I held a conversation with the cute nurse doing it the whole time.  It was so smooth, I no longer feel any apprehension about doing it multiple times.  Keep in mind that it also requires far fewer zaps to get it done.  She was able to finish my admittedly large skull in an hour.  The only areas she had trouble getting suction on was the sides of my head.  I had to help her by pushing the skin together as she zapped it.

I had her take pictures of my head immediately before and after the procedure.  I'll wait a while to see what kind of growth I get, and then post all three sets for you guys to see.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #370 on: March 30, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
Contgratulations, Mazzle!

Pls keep us updated!

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #371 on: March 30, 2010, 12:23:20 PM »
seeing how good the results are on the guys doing the laser  hair
removal I wish there was someplace here to have it done.
I'v looked but no luck in finding a place to get it done.
I'd find it hard to believe you couldn't find someone, especially since most dermatologists and plastic surgeons do it.  There are literally dozens in my area. 

Just doing a quick search, I found a bunch of listings:

4LaserHairRemoval Listings for Wisconsin

Hope that helps.

Offline baldfireguy25

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #372 on: March 30, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »
this is my first post but I am not new to the site.  this Blog gave the education and courage to go start my lazer treatments.  My first treatment was today!!  Let me tell you that it HURT LIKE HELL!!!  Nothing like the test spots they did a few weeks ago.  These are before pics and I will give you progress pics as I go!!  She said maybe 4 to 5 treatments???  I have dark hair so the pigment is perfect she said!!  Anyway...  Thanks to everyone who posted for all the great information!!![/img][/img]

Offline baldfireguy25

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #373 on: March 30, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
It's not letting me attach the pics.  It says the file is to large??  I will work on it!!

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #374 on: April 03, 2010, 02:24:03 AM »
It's not letting me attach the pics.  It says the file is to large??  I will work on it!!

You can put the pics somewhere else (like flickr.com, or www.skins.be), and then share the link.

Enter your email address: