Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605740 times)

Offline TheSlyKang

• Sly Jr.
  • Don't blame me. I voted for the old guy & hot chic
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #330 on: February 28, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »
??? Where's the problem in letting the guys do what they want without insulting them?

I agree!   O0  If I'm not mistaken the intent of this group is to provide support for one another. There are a lot of different views represented here. I've been sly now for over 10yrs but still have thick dark hair in a horseshoe shape. I'm looking for low maintenance to keep the good looking sly look. I prefer the laser option but realize that others may not. I've offered information on my experience for those considering laser in order to support them as they make their decision. But that's all it is... my opinion and my experience. Remember guys.... "we all got em and they all stink". Lets continue to support one another in our different opinions and try to get along as one big happy SLY family.
Don't blame me. I voted for the old guy and the hot chick!

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #331 on: February 28, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
Everyone is entitles to their own opinion so why would we chew eachother out about what our decisions were? Personally I made the decision because I never want to buy razors again. A new pack of 12 Mach 3 Razors goes for about $35 now a days. Buying in bulk is definitely the way to go.

So the reason I chose to laser my head was because I have......had.....very thick dark black hair. So I was literally using a razor to shave my head and face 2 times without getting razor burn. I also shaved it daily to prevent shadow as much as possible.

When I did the math each razor was costing roughly $3....Going through roughly 175-180 razors a year... 15 packs of 12 a year....$530 a year on razors...I figure my treatments will end up costing me 3k total.....so after 6 years it fully pays for itself. It was a no brainer for me

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #332 on: February 28, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »

I wouldn't subject myself to this personally but anyone that does and goes threw it my hat goes off to them, The Internet can be difficult and complicated environment so I could see reading what I posted as an insult as well as abrasive on the forum versus all of us having this discussion on the street but calling me a Troll or Pale Skin Nazi-Type is not in anyway better....So Slykang, K-2 or any of my friends on the board I'm apologizing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:32:39 AM by ShadowSide »

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #333 on: February 28, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
YIKES.... the back of my head never looks that bad.. but it definitely has some chaffing and bumps.. usually gone within 7-10 days... that one does look painful and almost like open sores.... poor guy

Offline Jez

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2010, 12:10:04 AM »
Ye that one did hurt :(, it went away after a couple of days though, looks normal again now. I was just curious, for anyone else that is having this done, what number of treatments are you going to go up to ? Because i would like as many as it takes to get to where i want to be, ive had 6 treatments so far. But now i'm a bit worried that if i have too many the hair will start to grow back.

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2010, 05:14:44 AM »
I also have had 6... I think im gonna use the Duet for 7 and 8 just to try it out.

From my understanding..... as long as you keep on track the hair will not grow back. It mainly happens when people take LONG periods of time off between sessions. Marty had like 12 sessions if I remember correctly to FULLY get it done... Most of those last ones are just tiny spots to make sure it is completely gone.

I would not worry about it growing back. Personally... I do not even see how it could grow back. That seems like malarky to me. You are frying your folicle and killing it. How can something regrow out of a dead folicle? Im not a rocket scientist but it does not make sense to me.

Offline Jez

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #336 on: March 01, 2010, 01:15:21 PM »
Ye, it doesnt really make sense to me either. The tech did mention a term that basically means when the body realizes that its losing hair it can start to regrow it again. But its like you said, to me it doesnt make sense as the hair follicle is supposed to be getting destroyed.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #337 on: March 04, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »
Yeah, that sounds like nonsense to me.  If you could make hair grow by having too many laser treatments, then I think you just came up with an alternative form of hair restoration, or at least an avenue of research.

Anyway, a few hours ago, I had my first Duet experience, so I thought you guys might like to hear about it.  It was only a consult, but I did get zapped about 8 times with it on various parts of my head to see if it would work.  She had to pull the surrounding skin a bit to get suction on certain parts, but all areas of my head worked and was WAY WAY WAY less painful than a standard laser treatment.  The first zap on my neck, I didn't even feel!  The more sensitive parts had a bit of pain, but I'd say that the worst zaps felt as bad as the least painful zaps on a standard machine.  (All of this was with no numbing cream.)  btw, the laser head is huge, about the size of an ipod nano, so they need far fewer zaps to cover an area.

As for the post-zap reaction, the areas are way less red and swollen than it was on the standard laser.  If it will remove hair just as well as the standard procedure, I'm going to be pretty stoked.  I have my first full treatment next Wednesday.   I'll let you know more then.
Chrome domed for 20 years now.

Offline Jez

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2010, 11:44:04 PM »
Brilliant :), i may try it myself for my next few treatments, depending on whether or not the guy doing my hair removal will let me go past 6 treatments. Definitely good news though. Thanks for the update Mazz

marty22

« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2010, 06:44:27 AM »
kkep us informed please as to your results.

Offline tooyoung

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #340 on: March 06, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
Any updates w/pics on the guys doing it in this thread?

Had one session, recovery time was much longer than expected ~3 weeks and still have signs of where they zapped me (discoloration after shaving, but then fades). Used IPL it hurt but it's over before you know it (40 minutes). With a day plus of growth, you can see where the hair is not growing. One of the zaps got infected and a Derm gave me cream for it, I think the hair was too long in the area. Back of the head hurt the most. My head didn't look as bad as the post a few replies ago, but was very, very red.

I really want to continue, but I don't know how I can swing it with work.

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2010, 09:58:59 PM »
I really want to continue, but I don't know how I can swing it with work.

I don't think you really have a choice now dude... Already did it once so you're gonna start looking like a Cheetah if it ever grows out.. Once you make the commitment you are pretty much stuck finishing unless you want to have a weird looking regrowth pattern. Good Luck though.

Offline tooyoung

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »
Never growing it out... Can't tell with it shaved. Still planning on doing the treatments, just got figure out how

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #343 on: March 09, 2010, 08:23:25 AM »
Your symptoms sound very unusual.  Perhaps you should try another provider and/or a different laser.  There are a lot of laser hair removal places that don't seem to know what they're doing.  I think that some of the scary pictures on this board come from poorly performed procedures.

(Things are good with me.  I'd like to upload some pics, but can't even get the site to update my avatar.  I'm not computer illiterate, so I don't know what the problem is...)

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #344 on: March 09, 2010, 08:31:01 AM »
Your symptoms sound very unusual.  Perhaps you should try another provider and/or a different laser.  There are a lot of laser hair removal places that don't seem to know what they're doing.  I think that some of the scary pictures on this board come from poorly performed procedures.

(Things are good with me.  I'd like to upload some pics, but can't even get the site to update my avatar.  I'm not computer illiterate, so I don't know what the problem is...)

Common, put them somewhere else, and then link to it.