Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605726 times)

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2009, 06:54:52 PM »
Ya so far I am happy. I did not think it would be this far after only two treatments. I cannot wait to finish... which will take 8 im guessing. The hair is definitely thinner now too. So it is a lot easier to shave it.

Slyatlast - once it is gone.... its gone... no more coming back ever. So it will last forever.

Antimidas - I waited also and I do not recommend it. If you start growing grey or white hairs it does not kill them. I would get it done before that happens. The splotches are ongoing until it is complete. Each time less and less should grow in. If you keep it shaved while getting the treatments you cannot tell it is splotchy. No maintenance once it is complete.

Offline petree dish

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2009, 11:19:22 PM »
wow. no maintenance. Pretty crazy to think about it. just crazy to think about not having ANY hair ever again. how old are you k2? i cant wait to see the progression up to treatment 8. Make sure to post a 4-5 day growth like this after every treatment so we can log it and see the differences. I personally find this really cool.
Watch the stars turn into nothing

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2009, 05:09:42 AM »
I am 27. Have been shaving since 5th grade. Let it grow out a few time for a few months since then but that is about it. Like I said I have my third treatment next Thursday but I will not be able to post pictures for a few months. I am in the Army and I will be deployed until the new year. I plan on getting my 4th treatment within the first week of being back so I will have to remember to take pics before then.

marty22

« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2009, 05:38:28 AM »
any reason u shaved it at age 12 or so in the 5th grade?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:55:45 AM by marty22 »

Offline BuzzKC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2009, 07:14:05 AM »
Looks like you're getting pretty good results.  Once all those round patches converge you'll be totally bald.

Offline petree dish

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »
what are you doing with your sideburns???
Watch the stars turn into nothing

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »
I am 27. Have been shaving since 5th grade. Let it grow out a few time for a few months since then but that is about it. Like I said I have my third treatment next Thursday but I will not be able to post pictures for a few months. I am in the Army and I will be deployed until the new year. I plan on getting my 4th treatment within the first week of being back so I will have to remember to take pics before then.
5th grade?  5th freaking grade?  Wow, that's pretty damn impressive.  I was 10 in the 5th grade.  I hate it when people ask me "why do you shave your head" as if liking the style is something you have to justify, but I've gotta ask: what made you start shaving your head in the 5th grade?  And are we talking a real shave or a buzz cut?

In the 5th grade my parents were lucky to get me to comb my hair before leaving the house so I couldn't imagine dedicating myself to shaving back then.

As for the laser treatments, that blotchiness seems more like it's more of a result of the technology or the technician than your scalp's response to the laser.  Why else would this cluster of hairs decide to die while the next cluster decides to grow normally?  It seems to me that the laser ought to kill all the black growing hairs in one treatment and then subsequent treatments would only get the hairs that have begun their growth cycle after the prior treatment.  I don't understand why any black hairs should survive a treatment.

I'm really getting interested in trying the shadowless look, but as my hair's been going gray since highschool I'm sure this wouldn't work anyway.  I am considering tweezing, but I don't know if I want to waste 12 hours on that first tweeze.
You don't know me, but I know you.

marty22

« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »
But if u can get rid of a lot of black/other color hairs; u may be able to get close to a shiny dome.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
Marty is correct.  It would diminsh the amount that you need to tweeze and would reduce the agony of that initial process.  As long as there is some color, they should be able to zap it.  I checked the ad on here for American Laser Centers (or whatever one it is) and they state that it will work on even blonde hairs - just not gray.  But I guess it would all boil down to a cost benefit ratio.  I kinda like the feeling of shaving.  It is about the only time I pamper myself.  I am also fortunate that my hair commits suicide before it ever turns gray so it buys me some time.

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »
I had a nasty infection on my scalp when I was in 5th grade and that's what made me start shaving it. I just kept up the trend ever since then. Sideburns and facial hair I am keeping. I am in the military but when I get out I do plan on growing the facial hair out completely.

The blotchyness is normal from what I understand and that is why I will need touch up treatments up to 8 total. From what the lady told me she was surprised that I even had patches missing so far. She said I shouldn't start to see a difference until after the 3rd because of the 2 cycles of hair growth.

I understand what some of you are saying about the ritual of shaving and the cost effectiveness. Shaving to me is nothing that I will miss. It is just longer I have to stay in the shower if you ask me. Because I do grow thick facial hair and I shave my head pretty much daily I did some math and figured I spend $40-50 a month on razors. With the cost of 8 treatments at $350 each I figure it would take 4-5 years of buying razors and that would cover the cost of the treatments. So I spend the 4-5 years in advance or I buy razors for another 60-70 years....Easy choice for me. I can use my electric on my face and NEVER buy razors again. Except to shave my butt!   HEHEHE

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
I can use my electric on my face and NEVER buy razors again. Except to shave my butt!   HEHEHE

You can get that lasered as well from what my doctor tells me.  :)  Watch out for pilonidal cysts AKA "Jeep seat".  I can tell you from first hand experience that surgery for that is a real bitch!   :o

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2009, 09:50:03 PM »
I have been thinking about doing this more and more because I have a spot about 4" square at the base of my neck that I can never get smooth and it gets irritated. I plan on keeping the Sly look for good, I noticed the other day when I was out of razors that my hairline is starting to go back.
 What was the pain like compared to a tattoo?

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »
I have been thinking about doing this more and more because I have a spot about 4" square at the base of my neck that I can never get smooth and it gets irritated.

Is it red or a different color than the rest of your scalp and beneath the fold on the back of your head?  I have the same problem the closer to my neck I get.  I noticed the "splotch" after the first shave and it has not changed color or shape, so I don't think it is irritation.

I've been reading up on laser and from the best research I can gather, it is just a tingle and mild discomfort as the follicles are being burned out rather quickly.  Is that accurate?  If that is all it is, I might consider the same thing.  Just wanna find out what it is like in a Minnesota winter first.  Still riding the fence.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »
Its always in the same general area and it becomes really red when I try to get it smooth, I have to go sideways  and all that.

It probably wouldnt save me much money becuase I go through a pack of blades a month (~$10) and a bottle of headslick every 4-5 months (~$7) so not much cost for me. But I get tired of shaving and when I am at the lake place or camping or something its hard to shave. For me it would be convenience and maybe the cost in like 40 years, lol.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2009, 10:10:44 PM »
Well, we blow money on convenience for everything else.  Why not this?  I have not tracked my expenditures yet, but over my first month, I have bought a ton of stuff to see what works best.  At this rate, I could make my money back in a couple of years.