Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 610890 times)

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #555 on: January 09, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »
This is my take on any kind of laser treatments...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:50:53 AM by Tyler »

Offline 4fit

• Super Sly
« Reply #556 on: January 09, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »
 ;D

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #557 on: January 12, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »
I haven't been on here for a while. So figured I'd give an update. It's been about a yr (Nov. 2010) since I started the laser hair removal. I have it done on both, head and face (besides goatee). I've had 8 sessions every 6-7 weeks with a touch-up session two week after every session. The touch-up hit spots she may have missed or are a bit more resilient.

So far, since the beginning, the face has had better results. I can go a while without having to shave and even when it does start to grow back, it's very thin. Almost like a teenagers beard prior to ever shaving.

The head is getting results, but a very noticeable difference from the face. There's still a lot that's growing back. It seems to be thinner and weaker then I started out with, and saving it is a lot easier,  But it is there. After a treatment, most of it is in shock, therefore there is a time period that there's very little growth. But after the 5 or so weeks, they start to wake up again and grow. For what ever reason, some are more resilient then others and it's no fault of the tech. I make sure the areas that may have been missed are re-zapped.

So at this point, I do get the spotty look if I let it grow in. Even right after treatment there will be a couple small spots that I'll notice. But again, I'm only on session 8. I knew coming into this that it would be a minimum of 12. YEAH, as expensive and painful as this is, I wished it was ONE, But I was warned by other guys of realistic results. My tech said "probably 8 sessions" YEAH RIGHT, you'll need more. But they are just trying to make their $$. Plus the head is something they normally don't do, and on some locations on the body it does only take 6-8 sessions.

The laser used on me is a Candela GentleYAG Laser. My last touch-up session was at 30 jolts. And it was a Bitc#...! I'm thinking of going back to 28... I think I was stated at 22, and up a couple hear and there. Not sure if that would make a difference, but I'm not sure if I want a full session at 30.

Since I started this, the gray hairs (I didn't know I had as much) are a lot more pronounced. As you know, they are not effected by the laser. So I started electrolysis also, mostly on the face, sideburns, and back or the neck. I also have a bunch on the sides of the head, but those I'll hit at a later time. TOO much to do at once. Electrolysis is also expensive and painful.  And it works on the same principal. The hair is weaken after each session coming back slightly thinner and thinner until it finally gives up. EACH hair has to be individually zapped 10-12 times also. Laser is able to zap a LOT more at a time so in the long run it's actually a lot cheaper.

I've tested it. Since I'm planning on doing my other sleeve (tattoos on arm) I figured I'll thin out the forearm hair a bit. So I Had it lasered, then when it grew back, electrolysis. Laser for one session (one arm) was about $200  and $150 if I paid for 4 sessions up-front and took less then 5 min.  Electrolysis (cheapest in my area) including a discount is $60 hr. and it took over 4 hrs not even hitting every hair. So over 4hrs of pain,  three visits, more then $240 and not as good coverage. So if the hairs are dark, laser is the way to go. I gave up on the are thing.. spending too much $$ on this...

I got a few PM's requesting pictures. The truth of the matter is that the pictures don't say anything. The picture cant pick up the fine hairs. Plus the actual results are not shown. The only picture that's actually worth seeing is of someone that hasn't had any treatment for two years. Hasn't shaven in a few weeks, and a close-up picture with a high definition camera. Other then that, what you'll see is not actual results.

Good Luck guys, Sorry for the long winded post....

Offline badmadt

• Sly Guy in Training
  • SLY FOR LIFE
« Reply #558 on: February 10, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »
Having laser treatments. Going well. Almost no growth at all anymore. Started with an almost full head of hair.
hi there!! can y give us more details about your removal treatment service/result?
thanks

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #559 on: February 15, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »
Sorry that I've been away for awhile.  Regarding pics, I think that I posted pics in the thread during the process.  You can find them there.

Jason66's experience is very similar to my own, except that I didn't have spotting after the first four or so treatments.  I had about 10 treatments total, but haven't been back for one in almost a year.  I still have a peach fuzz that becomes noticeable in 3-5 days.  Shaving it is very easy though.

Even after the expense and all that pain, I'm pretty satisfied.  I remember a time that I was always shaving and worrying about shadow.  It's honestly not something that I think about anymore.

Hey common could you post some photos of your treatment's progress (if you still have them..)?

If you don't, I would ask you if you could post a recent photo of you, so I can see the final results.

Really appreciate if any other guy would like to show off your dome after the treatment ;)

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
« Reply #560 on: February 16, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »
still considering this, common nice dome!

Offline devonlad

• Sly
« Reply #561 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »
Does  anyone know if there is anywhere in the uk that will do it. Considering having it done if I could find somewhere do it.

Offline Leah

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #562 on: March 06, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »
 :-[

Hey Guys! I was hoping you could help me out and calm me down....

I'm actually a female who went in for laser removal of my sun spots a week ago. During the session, which was done with Gentlase, my dermatologist SLIPPED and removed about a half dollar portion of my hairline. HOLY CR*P. I have very dark hair on white skin (awesome).

It's now a week later, and the little stubble is falling out. I know from having actual WANTED hair removal on my underarms a few years back that this happens.  I also know that laser only kills the hair in the anagen phase, but unlike other parts of the body up to 90% of head hair is in this phase.....OMG. So, am I going to be bald here permanently????

I'm curious to hear how much hair regrowth you guys had after one session. Please, talk me down from the ledge! Baldness is lovely on men, but I'm a lady, and I want my hair back.  :(

And if, fingers crossed, it does grow back, how much will return and how long will I have to wait?

Thank you so much.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #563 on: March 06, 2012, 06:09:07 PM »
Hey leah,
I'm on my 10th session... and a yr & 1/2 doing this. Though there's a lot of variables that have to be considered, with only one zap, I think you'll be fine. It takes multiple Zaps (8-12 on the head) to kill it off. Each one making it a bit thinner and weaker, but if left alone it should be back to normal in a cycles or 2. (2-3 mths). Sucks for now, but you'll be as good as new before you know it... good luck... DON"T ZAP THAT SPOT AGAIN...lol..
good luck...   

Offline Leah

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:14 AM »
OMG... thank you Jason. I was up all night freaking out.... looking into follicular unit transplants around 4 am in the morning. Uhg.
 :D

Even if just 25% of the spot grows back in I'll be happy.... I just want to fill in the area with a bit of shading.

Offline Baldnbald

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #565 on: April 02, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »
Jason66,

You mentioned that posting pics would be worthless unless it had been years.  I disagree man, one of the main reasons it seems like people are on here is to get rid of the shadow.  So pics of your dome would let us all see what your shadow looks like.  It is the exact thing we are all wondering about.  I have spent the last two days reading through this forum and I have to say with the rare exception its like the first time you look into hair transplants and you get all excited but then you start to realize its all angles and styling and the procedures actually suck.  I have been surprised at the lack of pictures on here.  Granted I haven't had it done but I guess I am hoping to see what I'm gonna be buying.  If its all the same to all of you and its not an embarressment in any way... please just post some freaking pictures.  In the end its why we are all here and reading and hoping to see postive results.

Thanks in advance.
It is what it is

BaldnBald

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #566 on: April 04, 2012, 05:18:48 PM »
I hear ya man.. lol...

I just tried taking a cpl with my camera phone but they sucked can't really see anything.... I'll try and get my wife to take a cpl for me with a real camera then post them up in a day or two.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #567 on: April 05, 2012, 02:31:09 AM »
Be good if it worked devonlad , id be up for it meself , permanently  bald without shaving would be great . I inquired some years about , theyare happy to take your money , 2-3 k but no guarantees , there was a place in London  . Id wanna see proper published evidence that it works before spending , also be verywary about some these folk do they really know whatthey are doin?

Offline devonlad

• Sly
« Reply #568 on: April 05, 2012, 04:44:27 AM »
Its not that I mind shaving. Would just love to loose the shadow.

Offline Baldnbald

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #569 on: April 07, 2012, 12:28:20 AM »
Jason66,

I appreciate it.  That was my first post and I came off kinda like a prick, sorry.  I was hours into my 2nd day of reading all the posts and different threads and was frustrated by the lack of pictures despite the seemingly dozen or more people that have taken the leap. 

JRod
It is what it is

BaldnBald