Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 610870 times)

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #435 on: July 05, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
I'm only about half-way through my appointments, but here's my reaction for what it's worth.

1) For everyone that has done it have any of you completed your treatments over a year ago and have you been completely hair-free since? (Meaning no shaving and not having to go back due to a seasonal growth cycle, etc...)

N/A

2) Do any of you regret it or have had a negative experience with it?

It was way more painful than I expected.  I have to do three 2-2.5 hour appointments to  cover my whole head, 2 for the scalp and 1 for the face/neck.  The sides and top/back part of the scalp hurt significantly more than the face.  I'm also one of the unlucky few that gets hyper-pigmentation, which is darkening of the skin in certain seemingly random areas that are zapped, but that's already faded a lot.

My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.  I'm not sure if it's coincidence or the stress of the zapping process, but I'm getting a TON of hairs going gray since I started.  I wish I had done it before that was a possibility.  I also wish I had started in the fall.  Having to wear a hat and tons of sunscreen during the summer really puts a damper on my favorite season.

3) Have you only done your scalp or have any of you also done your face, or parts of your face?

I'm doing everything above my shoulders except my goatee.  She's even doing the edges of the goatee and soul patch area to make it cleaner and more "geometric".

4) Do you feel your expense has paid off?

Even if I don't get 100% hair loss or completely permanent removal, I'm extremely happy that I chose to do this.  Shaving is ridiculously fast and easy now.  I'm now always clean shaven, which was impossible before due to my sensitive skin, and never have that Fred Flintsone darkness in my bearded areas any more.  I'd say that I have 70% hair loss in my face and about 50% on my scalp.  While I originally went in there focused on lasering my scalp, it's the clean face that's turned out to be the best thing about my experience.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:39:09 PM by Mazzle »
Chrome domed for 20 years now.

marty22

« Reply #436 on: July 05, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »
it does work but it also has strict boundaries. White/gray doesnt work. It takes many appointments to get it all. We are here to help.

Offline johnnyo

• Sly
« Reply #437 on: July 05, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
For youall that want to do the lazer, that's up to you, but, for me, when I got rid of the rug and decided to go natural, I guess I also feel that shaving is the natural way to go. Thanks Maz for the good information, that's what this site is all about. Sometimes it gets to be like the kid in the candy shop, there is so much different information and ideas, you sort of get confused.  :D

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #438 on: July 05, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »
No problem guys.  I enjoy sharing my experiences.

Offline markc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #439 on: September 04, 2010, 02:33:08 PM »
hey guys. Interesting thread. Im booked in for laser hair removal tomorrow, 1st session. Not ipl but hair removal with the gentelase system (alexandrite laser) the clinic says. They have said to shave the night before then come in next morning and that it should take about 15 minutes for the whole head. 6 sessions will cost $1170 (australian dollars) each one 6 weeks apart.  Its going to be painful but worth it i reckon.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #440 on: September 04, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »
15 min?  Wow.  The first time I went, we had to split it up into two session, each 2 hours long.  Going a small spot at a time, especially the first time when it's really painful, takes forever.

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #441 on: September 04, 2010, 03:02:05 PM »
IMHO, I think I'd rather shave it every day or every other day. Most of it is cost issues, but then it takes away the fun of shaving my head. :D
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline markc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #442 on: September 04, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »
yeah mazzle, thats what they said, 15 mins. The laser sprays cooling fluid onto your head prior to the laser firing so hopefully wont be too red. Im expecting the pain though!

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #443 on: September 05, 2010, 08:26:46 AM »
Wow, I don't think my nurse could cover my head in 15 min, even if she took out the part where she actually zaps it.  :)  Please do post after you get back and tell us how it goes.

(And you're right to expect pain.  My place applies 30% numbing cream, which is 4x stronger than what you can get via common prescriptions, and it still hurts like a bitch.)

Offline markc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #444 on: September 05, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »
  Just got back from first laser hair removal session. Head is not red and doesnt hurt right now, just a little discomfort like mild sunburn. The staff were great and said they have a lot of guys coming for hair removal on the head.
 The therapist was brilliant. I asked about her qualifications prior to treatment (she said she hardly ever gets asked that but said it was a good question). Id researched the level of qualification needed for this procedure in australia prior to attending so knew what was accpetable training.
  She marked my head with a white pencil to get good even coverage then started. I put on the goggles. I didnt use any numbing cream.
  The laser was a candela gentlase, it fires a shot of cooling liquid onto the area then fires the laser. Back and top of head, pain was like 3/10, easy. The sides stung like a bitch (pain 6/10) for about 1 second everytime the laser fired but quickly subsided. Took 20 minutes for my whole head, next session booked for 6 weeks time. Gotta stay out the sun in between treatments (not easy in australia!) so lots of sunscreen and caps on head

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #445 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:44 PM »
Wow, 20 min?  How big an area does each zap cover?

marty22

« Reply #446 on: September 06, 2010, 07:10:14 PM »
to mr australia: keep us up to date...

Offline markc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #447 on: September 06, 2010, 07:30:21 PM »
Each zap covers the size of a 20 cent coin (aussie coin) about 18-20mm circle. It was quick and stung but not too bad. Little bit red at base of my neck but thats where i had the problem with shaving anyway so i was expecting it. Doesnt hurt today at all. will keep you posted guys, so far so good. be nice to get rid of the shadow and have a smooth head!

Offline markc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #448 on: September 09, 2010, 04:25:38 AM »
3 days after first laser treatment. Had spots on the back of my head for a few days (a common reaction to laser hair removal the clinic says). Now cleared up. No pain post treatment, hair growth slowed loads. Head feels like bristles on a brush at present but she assures me that it  will start to drop out in next 2 weeks and the bristle feeling is the lasered hair. All good so far

Offline DeviantMagick

• DeviantMagick
  • Learning the way of Sly
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #449 on: September 09, 2010, 06:10:15 AM »
@Mr. Australia- Definitely following your progress, thanks for the update.