Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 611059 times)

marty22

Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »
My touch-up will be done in Sept. You need 30 days after going in the sun; and then need to let your scalp rest for another 21 before going back into the sun. Hey BUZZ

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2009, 04:39:28 PM »
Hey guys,

New here and just wanted to give my thoughts on the laser hair removal.

I actually just got back from my first session less than an hour ago. It is not fun at all. I think I had to ask her to take a break probably 40-50 times in the 1hr it took to completely finish. I highly recommend that you find some kind of numbing gel or lotion and let it soak in before your sessions if you decide to do it. I have my next session July 25th.

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2009, 12:20:17 PM »
Figured I would give you guys another update as to what it is like. It has now been 4 days since My first laser hair removal treatment on my nugget. It is not very tender anymore. However, I did decide to try working out again today and the sweat started to burn. So I had to cut my workout short. I did try and shave it yesterday and I think that might be why it is aggravated. Cannot wait until I am fully done.

I have not started to see the hairs falling out like everyone says. But I did notice that they had said roughly nine days. Something I am looking forward to.

marty22

« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
been there; done that. Wait 10 days or so to shave. Soreness could last up to 10 days also. Depends how much u had done and what areas. around the sides is a killer. Feel free to write me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:41:54 PM by marty22 »

Offline Thebaldnation

• wanting to bring our Bald community closer together
  • Sly
    • ThebaldNation
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »
Although i agree that laser would save you alot of money in the long run, i think that i would miss the art of shaving in the long run, plus, shaving represents my independence on a daily basis. So i would have to say no to that
<!-- Facebook Badge START --><a href="http://www.facebook.com/people/Baldguy-Thebaldnationsbest/1827707468" title="Baldguy Thebaldnationsbest" target="_TOP" style="font-family: &quot;lucida grande&quot;,tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-
[url=http

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2009, 05:00:50 PM »
I'm am going to have to say not having to shave my head anymore will save my independence from the razor :)

benmcd

« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »
Hey there K2.
I was wondering if you found it difficult to find a laser hair removal place that actually did scalp procedures. Were they in any way hesitant to go ahead and do this for you. Online you don't see them offering the scalp as a body part that they remove hair from. Perhaps it could be good to put a list of establishments who actually offer this service. Would be interested to hear what their reaction was to your request.

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »
Living in Colorado, I had it done at this place: www.laserrn.com.  The cost is $150/session or pre-pay eight sessions for $1,050.  An added bonus is that they catch little random hairs (ear, nose, some neck, between the eyebrows) for free.

In terms of having your scalp done, the folks at this place all seemed pretty comfortable providing this service.  They'd done it before and have been entirely professional.  The one drawback is since they're all female, none of them have experienced laser hair removal on the scalp first-hand.  So, they can empathize with my pain, but don't completely understand it.

hey common:  thanks 4 the update.  that dome is looking smooooooth.  where & approximately how much did ya spend 4 each treatment? 

WARHAWK O0

marty22

« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »
and why did u go the laser route?

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2009, 08:19:04 AM »

Hey Will,
     I did have to call a few places around here. I called Ideal Image which is supposedly a huge company nationwide and they refused to do it. I called a few dermatology offices and some would and some wouldn't do it. What I did find though which seemed kind of interesting and some good knowledge to have is.......... Beauty salons/Spas that do laser hair removal all seemed willing to do it. It might be a little more pricey. The Derm offices quoted me at roughly $300 per session but they were over an hour away. Glow Savannah quoted me at $500 per session but I got them down to $350 and they are about 2 miles from me.

So really to answer your question. Only ideal image gave me any kind of reason that they wouldn't do it. They said it was because there had not been enough research done on that particular area.

marty22

« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2009, 09:50:28 AM »
times have changed. when I started getting treatments in the Fall of 2004; nobody ever had this done that I know of. Even my laser tech, who works for a well-known dermatology firm on LI, only had 1 person, who had inquired. I was her lst case. And looking back, it really was no big deal having my hair lasered off the top to make it look better.

Offline DaDi

• Sly
  • The 1st sly member in SBG from Greece!
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2009, 04:26:51 AM »
i asked for laser removal here in greece
they told me that for the total removal (sly forever) needs 8 sessions

The total cost is 3.000 euro (4.197 dollars)
Yea, right...

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »
The skin on the scalp is filled with extra blood vessels for the purpose of feeding the hair follicles.  This additional blood will affect the color of the scalp.  I don't know if this is a big enough factor for those with darker skin tones, but in white guys one of the reasons that scars are stand out on a shaved white scalp is due to the lack of blood vessels in the skin due to the absence of hair follicles.  So have any of you laser-baldies noticed a gradual difference in the color of your scalp over time?  I would imagine that a lot of blood vessels would atrophy and vanish since they'd no longer be needed.

The biggest thing that keeps me away from laser hair removal is that it can't kill all the hairs.  I worry about getting so lazy with my shaving that I'd eventually walk around with dozens of 6" fine white hairs growing randomly out of my scalp. 

I'n a couple weeks it will be 10 years for me, so this look isn't a passing whim for me,  I shave at night so I always have the sandpaper feel during the bulk of the day and a rough sandpaper feel if I skip a day.

Unfortunately a lot of my hair is white (20%?) and discovered this when I had to let it grow for about a week due to an injury, so it would be impossible for me to get a smooth scalp anyway.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »
BTW, on this forum (and this thread) I see people mentioning a photo they've attached but I usually don't see any sign of a photo.  Why is that?  I'd really love to see the ones on this thread because I'd like to see the strange lines and spots some have mentioned during their intermediate stages.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2009, 04:38:44 AM »
Hey guys,

Just thought id give another update. I am currently in Spain on vacation (ran with the bulls) and hotel internet is sparse so I have not been able to say anything.

Once I got passed the rough head stage that looks like in grown hairs all over the place I was relieved. It itches a lot but I did not want to scratch it. Now that my head is fully healed from the first treatment I am very happy.

The hair already does not grow in as fast and is more soft than it used to be. I know it doesn't seem like much of a difference but I have noticed that it now takes a little over 2 days to get to the point that it used to get to in 1 day. So when I get my next treatment on the 25th I hope it slows down even more :)

Stay Sly