Head Shaving, Grooming & Care > Miscellaneous

Laser hair removal on your scalp

(1/214) > >>

Tyler:
I've been researching laser hair removal for your scalp and there really isn't much out there on the web.  The only thing that I could find is that it will take several treatments that will be very expensive.

Have any of you ever looked into it?  What have you found?  Would you do it?

happyharry:
I researched it myself a few months ago - not so much because I wanted to do it but more out
of curiosity.

I've read a few reports from people who did it. And according to them, yes, it does often require
several treatments. The end result is either no hair growing back at all, or very fine hair growing back
(like babies' or old people's hair) that isn't as visible as your normal hair and that you can easily shave off
whenever it grows. 

The risks (eg possibility of permanent burn marks on your skull) are minimal, so it's considered a safe, albeit expensive choice.

Personally, I find the idea appealing. But on the other hand, I enjoy shaving my head - it's a ritual to me - even though
there are times where I find it annoying and wished I wouldn't have to go through the routine of shaving.
Plus, if you have a girlfriend (or a new girlfriend), they usually ask you if they could shave you. And I find that
quite appealing and erotic.

On the other hand, if you are permanently bald, I feel that being bald looses some of its appeal. You're no longer
an active, meaning shaving, member of the bald community - you're no longer shaving, no longer involved in buying razors and creams and
giving advice to newcomers etc - you're now a retired bald man.
There's nothing to do, no shaving, no checking out new products and discussing them with your fellow bald people.

Yeah, it feels a little like retirement. ;)

Noner:
Body hair is one thing, but aiming a lazer at my scalp is another. If ordinary sun can cause cancer, what about lazering your whole head. There isn't enough research on how it can effect the brain. That is just the easy way out for us bald guys. I say to anyone comtemplating that, "you are crazy!" Just shave your head, it's not worth frying your egg. MMMMM, eggs.

gearhedguy:
I'm still not 100% sure about how safe laser hair removal really is. . . who knows what they'll discover that it has caused years from now?? A neighbor of my parents died a few years ago from face cancer. Pool woman. Imagine. They think it was caused from ultraviolet treatments she had received many years ago for treatment of her acne when she was a teen. . . they didn't realized it eventually caused cancer. As my Mom still says till this day, "don't fool with Mother nature." A few years back I did inquire about having laser removal of the hair on my back. They said it would take 4 to 5 treatments at about $500 a pop!. . . $2000 to $2500 total!! No joke! I figured I could buy a lifetime of Nair for that kind of money and still have A LOT of change left over.

Pyronius:
I've checked into laser and electrolosys..

Electrolosys seems the way to go between the two, less chance of scaring and its chemical/electrical based as apposed to getting shot with a friggen laser beam..

Although if I were offered either at a reasonable price, I would say "Sure I'll guinea pig it"

I can understand loosing the luster for some people, but for me I like the bald look... and my skin doesn't take well to shaving sometimes. 

If I can find a good place in the Minneapolis area that does it, who knows I may have first hand experience to report after xmas (seems like a good place for the bonus to go..)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version