Author Topic: DOES your dad have mpb, combover, thinning hair, or headful of hair?  (Read 21181 times)

Offline phuzzphree

• To each his own.
  • Sly Jr.
Re: DOES your dad have mpb, combover, thinning hair, or headful of hair?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
My dad and his brothers all had the same pattern of baldness.  My grandfather on my mom's side had a full head of hair until he passed, so I know where I got it from.
(BaldGuyz gel + Gillette Fusion) - hair = a beautiful thing!

Offline slyzed_t

• Sly Jr.
  • gettin' SLYzed
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 01:03:47 AM »
yea my dad has mpb...i lost a lot of hair and im only 22 , so i said whatever, shave the sh*t off ..

my brother shaves his head  too (my influence), but he has no sign of receding hairline whatsoever ... i guess im the lucky one with the hairloss.. yay to me .. :Xo! :D

Will

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 04:50:15 AM »
Mine does.  The way mine thins looks exactly like his.  I know we've all heard that it doesn't really come from your dad but I have to disagree.  In my case anyway.  Because we're way too similar in the way our hair thins out.  He lets it go naturally though but keeps it trimmed.  It's like a little goose egg at the crown and kinda like a little island at the very front of the hair line if you know what I'm saying.  Mine does the exact same thing. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:54:38 PM by Lance »

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »
I don't think there is a true rule to where the gene comes from. My dad (almost 70) still has a full head of thick hair. But my cousins, whose father is totally bald, were both almost complete fringes in their early 20's.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 04:56:46 PM »
My dad (aged 73) has thick wiry curly hair: no sign of mpb.  My mom's uncles all had the same hairline as me: very high at the temples.  So I guess I got this from my mom's side rather than my dads.

(|8-)

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 06:12:03 PM »
From my mom's side, not my dad's.  My grandfather on my mom's side prepared me from the time I was very young, "Grass doesn't grow on a busy street," etc.

My cousin on my mom's side who's six months older than me always has a hat on.  We know what that means.

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 12:27:05 AM »
Well i was always told it comes from your Mums Father....which yes he was bald, & yes my Dad is also bald & so was his Dad...so it was always going to happen  :)
My Dad has the classic 'Horseshoe' look,but for some bizarre reason he has decided to grow it,so at the moment he looks like a Freak!!!
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline phuzzphree

• To each his own.
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 04:24:14 AM »
I heard or read somewhere about a study that said you get MPB from either parent, but not both.  Anyone else heard something like this? B@n%
(BaldGuyz gel + Gillette Fusion) - hair = a beautiful thing!

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »
My Dad is 50, and I am 22
he has been thin for almost as long as I can remember, he also now has a pretty sizeable crown in the back... and his hairline has receded as well.

My hairline is pretty much intact but my hair is getting real thin real fast, or so it feels. I think when I am 50 I will have less hair than my dad has now... actually I know I will, cuz I have already starting using the sly look and he refuses to do it.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »
My father died last year at 95, thining hair and thin since the 70's.  He started buzzing his own hair when Mr. Lee, his barber for years, died in the 70's.  I always went w/ my Father to Mr. Lee on Saturday, and Dad got the full treatment, towels, haircut, shave--I still remember the sound of the razor on the leather strap, the sound of a razor on his beard, the smells, the total barber thing.  Dad and his brothers, there were 11 in the family boys and girls, and my uncle the last surviving sybling, now 91, remarked when I was visiting, "You're getting thin like your Dad and I!"  Well my uncle's two boys, my cousins, haven't lost a shred, heavy strong hair.  Whereas my other cousin and I are both sly by choice having been presented w/ the MPB genes.  Go figure! 
The last time I was with my father I had buzzed, and gotten rid of the high forehead that my maternal grandfather had.  My cousins on my mother's side both have very thin hair and buzz it. But other than one cousin, no one else has gone sly, but we are two, and maybe, just maybe there will be a "growing" trend!  Life goes on, I wonder if I'll still have to shave if I reach my genetically probable nineties?  Most importantly, if my wife is still living will she have learned to live with it?

Offline ChefMartin812

• Sly Chef
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 08:54:01 PM »
My Dad did the Comb Over thing for years, it was one of the reasons I decided to go sly instead, boy his Comb Over did not look good.
My wife had made a joke about the next time she caught him sleeping that she was going to cut off "The Bridge" and within a week he had the Comb Over taken off, He still sports a Horseshoe but at least the Comb Over is gone.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 04:46:39 AM »
Dad uses clippers with no guard
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 08:28:41 AM »
My father died in '94.  As long as I can remember he had thinning hair.  As the years went by, he started shaving the noggin.  Lucky him. he had the right head for the sly look.  Oddly enough, as the time approched, Due to congestive heart failure, he for some reason also shaved his eyebrows.  I never could understand that move?  Perhaps the meds had something to do with it.
There were five brothers who didn't have the horseshoe but thinned all over.  My mother's father was an American Indian with the thickest most beautiful hair you ever saw.  All his sons had the same type of hair until they died.  I don't know where this leaves me in the gene pool?  As of right now, 63 years old, I still have thick hair but the very top is thinning.  Any Ideas as to my path?
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Wil87

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Low Lie The Fields of Athenry
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 09:10:51 AM »
My Dad has the typical Horse shoe type thing, I have mentioned to him about shaving but he is not keen!! He lost his hair pretty early on, but he is confident in who he is....so fair play to the man!!

Enter your email address: