Author Topic: Religon  (Read 55795 times)

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
Re: Religon
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
I was driving across Canada in Feb of 1974 from British Columbia to NY and got snowed in at Moosejaw....lol.....

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »
I believe in myself, I account to only myself, I deal with my problems and I don't need any deity for guidance or help. And the fundamental laws of nature, physics etc.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »
Episcopalian, born to a non-practicing Roman Catholic father and a Lutheran mother, baptised Lutheran, and confirmed as an Episcopalian in college after attending a Roman Catholic boarding schoorl.  Married a Roman Catholic, our girls went to Episcopalian schools, one just married in the Roman church, and the other professes to be an agnostic, but would be Jewish if she had to pick a religion.  Sort of a gumbo, and   that makes sense living in New Orleans!  The smartest and most moral man I ever worked with was a Muslim, and my friendship with him has led me to understand his religion from an outsider's point of view--and it isn't a bad religion at all in the sense that it can lead people to live a moral life fully respecting others.  All religions, and I mean all, have elements that are totally contrary to the purposes of their professed sects.  That behavior speaks to the man, not the religion in my opinion.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »
I believe in myself, I account to only myself, I deal with my problems and I don't need any deity for guidance or help. And the fundamental laws of nature, physics etc.

If that works for you..fantastic. Everyone has a deity they worship..even if its the one in the mirror.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

JohnMont

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »

to each his own?    ( ok )

Truth is Relative ?   ( NO )

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »
I am so glad that for the most part, this subject has been pretty peaceful and respectful.  While I do believe the truths of the Bible and am not ashamed of my faith in Jesus Christ, I do believe that God calls me to be respectful to all people.  While I don't believe that truth is relative, I do  believe that all have the right to believe in what they believe.  I believe in agreeing to disagree agreeably.  I do believe that for those of faith and those who don't, that is the proper way to behave!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »

then why was this thread of any interest to you at all; except to dismay the contributors with your lack of faith ?

easy john mont. that is not cool. you seem to be questioning his beleifs. noone has questioned the things you do or believe. just asking you to tread lightly here. shdwwlk has said nothing negative about anyone else on this thread and should get the same respect. we have kept this one cool so far. it seems to be about what each individual thinks. not questioning what someone else thinks. please just watch it guys.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

JohnMont

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2008, 01:10:41 AM »

shdwwlk  IS making a subtle slam on faith.   In a thread that asks about people's faith; he makes a point of saying he has none. 

I'm saying the same thing Marshall is saying; he's just a little bit more wordy.  But basically; Marshall is saying; like I am; that those who have not faith or belief in God are wrong  (truth is not relative)

to have faith is to deny the modern notion (around since the 18th century ) that "it's all about me."

Sorry if that is not "cool" .

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2008, 01:15:12 AM »
In a thread that asks about people's faith; he makes a point of saying he has none. 
I don't see why that's a problem.

JohnMont

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2008, 01:21:20 AM »
In a thread that asks about people's faith; he makes a point of saying he has none. 
I don't see why that's a problem.

what if it was a thread on "what's your favorite movie" and someone wrote;  "i don't watch movies; I don't need movies."   ...   yeah ; there's no  'problem'; but ; what's the point?

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2008, 02:37:21 AM »
what aout, "JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED"?  marsh did not say that shdwwlk was WRONG. he simply said he disagreed with him. the rules are inplace for a reason man. i as a moderator, i have opinions that differ from others, pretty often. but that just means we feel differently. that does not make me right or the other person wrong. all i was saying was DO NOT JUDGE HIM. HE IS NOT JUDGING YOU.  and in my (raised catholic incatholic schools. and does not go to church for personal reasons now) opinion, not judging your fellow man for disagreeing with you, is more christian than saying he is WRONG for not beleiving what i beleive. we can have debates for days on end about about who is right and wrong. but the truth of the matter is this. i have to answer for me and you have to answer for you. us arguing who is right won't cause anything but strife and tension. if you don't like the fact that you can't debate this, then stay away from this topic. i have until now. if anyone has questions, please PM me or the other mods. any of us will be glad to help. as for personal beliefs, ask that person in private. hell i will explain myself if you wanna know. just be respectful of others.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2008, 08:19:24 AM »
Somehow I knew it wouldn't last.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2008, 08:36:41 AM »
Ok guys...lets all just get along here. The idea is about "respecting" each others beliefs and opinions. Now I know the word "respect" is a wee little too big for some people to comprehend especially those with the "i'm right..your wrong" way of thinking. I have found that people who have a NEED to be right are that way usually because of their own lack of self confidence in themselves and what they claim to believe. Positive debate is one thing but if we allow ourselves to decend into avenues of judgement of each others beliefs or lifestyles what are we accomplishing? In short nothing. People have the right to believe what they want or not believe at all.  Either way we should each respect what others opinions and not tear each other down. There is already ENOUGH of that in the world.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2008, 11:42:26 AM »
This is why religion is the cause of so many battles. Some people just can't accept that others could possibly have different beliefs or non-beliefs. Just because you feel one way does not mean it's right, sorry... but there's a lot of varying opinions out there in the world and every one of them think they are right.

I'm a humanist but my wife and kids are catholic and believe in god... fine with me! :)

Have a Coke and a smile, then go shave...

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »
Somehow I knew it wouldn't last.

:) i agree.  fun while it lasted, tho.