Author Topic: Yoga  (Read 13561 times)

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Yoga
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »
I picked up an instructional DVD and it's just OK. There's also a few selections on the Comcast On Demand offerings on cable. Can anyone suggest a good, all-around Yoga DVD for beginning-moderate level?

Offline JustColorado

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 06:13:25 PM »
Cool, I was planning on starting a yoga class this week.  As a compliment, not a substitute to my regular routine. 

Lately, I have been experimenting with some videos I found,   there is a bunch of instructional videos on my YouTube favorites.  http://www.youtube.com/user/coloradostark 

they are at the bottom of the page.   

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »
Gonna start doing the Power 90 program...which incorporates some yoga.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 05:20:17 PM »
Gonna start doing the Power 90 program...which incorporates some yoga.

Are you referring to the P90X system? That looks pretty hardcore. A buddy sent me all their videos.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »
I ran across a yoga system called "YRG" (Yoga for Regular Guys) which features Diamond Dallas Page (former WCW wrestler) - what little they show on their website (especially the 10 second push up) looks pretty tough!

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 03:26:18 PM »
Are you referring to the P90X system? That looks pretty hardcore. A buddy sent me all their videos.
P90 is also known as Power 90. Its the less intense version of P90X.  (its also about half the price :) )
Its still pretty dang hard....at least for me. Its a very quick pace of Cardio/Weight Lifting...about 40 minutes per session. There is some Yoga in it and a lot of stretching. I would not recommend P90X unless you are in really good shape already.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:30:28 PM by Robmeister »
Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 11:32:05 PM »
P90 is also known as Power 90. Its the less intense version of P90X.  (its also about half the price :) )
Its still pretty dang hard....at least for me. Its a very quick pace of Cardio/Weight Lifting...about 40 minutes per session. There is some Yoga in it and a lot of stretching. I would not recommend P90X unless you are in really good shape already.

Yep.....gonna do Power 90 (Nov, Dec, Jan) then move on to P90X (Feb, Mar, Apr)

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
I've been doing Yoga for the last 4 years.  I do it everyday.  30mins on work days and an hour or more on weekends and my day off.  Now that the sun stays out later (daylight savings) I'm thinking of an hour a day.  Anyway, you will definitely gain in flexibility and strength.  You won't look artificial like gym rats or bodybuilders, but you will be fitter and leaner than couch potatoes, i.e. you'll look like a healthy, real person. I recommend Rodney Yee's videos.  There's a bare minimum of "inspirational" stuff for the most part it's more like, "Here's some yoga.  Let's do it."  The Power Yoga series is especially good, but you might prefer to start with Yoga for Beginners and progress to the Power Series.  Or dive right in.  Just don't try to compete with Rod.  If he goes into forward bend and clasps his wrists behind his ankles with his head touching his shins, don't try to do that.  It will come with time.  Just give yourself a good stretch and hold the pose as long as you can.  Remember to breathe.  Yoga is something that takes time and you will plateau in certain things. Just keep working and the results will come.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:03:25 PM by honestjohnny »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »
I tried yogo in high school, I was the least flexible person in the group and I passed out twice. And that was when I was when I was in my prime so to speak. No yoga for me. ;)

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »
"Least flexible of the group"  means you were competing with others, which is a no-no.  You just have to do what you can do and not push too hard, but set small goals.  Give it another try.  You WILL gain flexibility with regular practice.  Go to yogajournal.com, there are a list of poses and modifications.  Try them when you're just sitting around watching TV.  It just takes time.

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 03:09:39 AM »
My roommate does Yoga like 3 times a week and she is TONED and flexible.

Did I mention she's a stripper too?

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 08:58:52 AM »
I been doin' yoga as part of the P90X program. 

Hated it at first being a big ol' 240 lb lug....but I'm learning the benefit of it all.

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »
My roommate does Yoga like 3 times a week and she is TONED and flexible.

Did I mention she's a stripper too?

Wow! That's awesome on so many different levels! Yoga and stripping, she's probably more fit than most marathon runners!  Also, you live with a stripper.

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »

Hated it at first being a big ol' 240 lb lug....but I'm learning the benefit of it all.

I've seen a little of that infomercial on TV.  They always show the Warrior Poses  ::) They are pretty cool looking, though.  Is there just one routine or are there variations?

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 02:27:11 PM »

I've seen a little of that infomercial on TV.  They always show the Warrior Poses  ::) They are pretty cool looking, though.  Is there just one routine or are there variations?

Don't know enough about Yoga to know many variations.....

But the Yoga workout is 90 minutes of all kinds of different stuff....

From what I'm learning, he pulls from Power Yoga and Namaste Yoga....not sure if that's the same thing or not.

I am sure of the fact that it's BRUTAL !*!rat3
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:29:08 PM by Robmeister »

Enter your email address: