Author Topic: Experienced Nurse Thinking of Joining  (Read 3158 times)

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
Experienced Nurse Thinking of Joining
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »
I'm a 29 y/o, experienced RN, BSN with 4 years of OR (I did everything including Neuro and CV) and 2 years of Interventional Radiology (like Cath Lab, but everything OTHER than the heart). I was also PV coordinator/charge for a year.

One of the reasons, I'm considering the military is the lack of clear-cut organization and code of conduct I see in civilian nursing. Backstabbing complaining; I don't participate, but being in that environment can wear on a person's nerves after awhile ;D This is why I went to another department as a staff nurse. I'm hoping that the military is better about this?

I am considering the AF, just because my Dad was an SS in it in the 70's and I don't hear much about the AF Nurses. Maybe there's a reason?

How would my pre-military experience be delt with? I've not really worked the floor, so some of those skills have been replaced by others. I can refresh, but gosh, I worked in those areas for a reason.

Also, pay. I make between $40 and 50 grand right now with benefits. I don't really want to take a pay cut, especially if I'd be losing my seniority as well. I really view this more as joining another hospital rather than some lofty serve my country ideal. That's there too, but I'm not an idealistic 17 y/o. I have a family!

I welcome and appreciate any advice or counsel. Thanks.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
Re: Experienced Nurse Thinking of Joining
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
I've been thinking pretty seriously about "joining" too. (the Canadian Navy)

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:37:10 AM »

Ahhhhh.....  our great and illustrious Canadian Navy!!!

In all seriousness though, I can relate to you on the backstabbing, complaining and all that...  I've got it where I work too.  I asked for similar advice here a while back, about taking a desk job at Headquarters.  There are a lot of things to consider, but what made me stay was a combination of things; Seniority, moving/starting over in a new city, time I have in going down the drain, the fact that nowadays where ever you go you're going to get those same problems to some extent or another.

I'm not in the military nor was I ever, but I think the same things apply to the things you have to consider....

Best of luck though with whatever you do decide!

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:57:22 PM »

Ahhhhh.....  our great and illustrious Canadian Navy!!!

In all seriousness though, I can relate to you on the backstabbing, complaining and all that...  I've got it where I work too.  I asked for similar advice here a while back, about taking a desk job at Headquarters.  There are a lot of things to consider, but what made me stay was a combination of things; Seniority, moving/starting over in a new city, time I have in going down the drain, the fact that nowadays where ever you go you're going to get those same problems to some extent or another.

I'm not in the military nor was I ever, but I think the same things apply to the things you have to consider....

Best of luck though with whatever you do decide!

He's just out duck hunting  O0

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »
If you already have your BSN you'll qualify for Officer, so pay should be about the same.  Down side of being an Officer is you get a big share of politics.  I personally thing the military is one of the best starting spots for medical professional.  No one else can offer what the military does when it comes to opportunity to practice medicine - esp if you're looking for ER.  With that said you are not starting out so...

My best advice is going in talk to your local recruiter.  Take everything in with a grain of salt.  and weight out the options.   If you have some follow on questions just post.

and oh yeah most branches are cutting back already in light of the new leadership changes.  :-\

hope this helps.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

BaldRob

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »
Think about the Navy also...  My sister has been a navy nurse for close to 20 years now.

As far as pay goes, don't just look at the base pay, because you'll also get an allowance (non-taxable) for housing and food...

Enter your email address: