Author Topic: I hate cars!  (Read 2233 times)

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
I hate cars!
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:29:07 AM »
My wife has a Fiat Punto (I know, what was I thinking?)
It was in the garage yesterday for its MOT (annual safety check).  Whilst her car was getting sorted she was using my car.  Just before lunchtime I got a call.
"I've had a slight accident"
"That's OK hun.  Are you and the boys alright?"
"Yeah, we're all fine.  I think I've broken your car."
"OK, where are you and I'll come and sort it out"
"I'm in your work car park."
So I dashed out to check the car and re-assure her that I wasn't going to go completely ballistic.  She'd caught a kerb on a bend and has put a 3" slice in the sidewall of the tyre.  She wondered why it was pulling left and making lots of noise.  That's why she drove the half mile from where it happened to the office.
I sorted the spare out and she went back off home, via a tyre place to get a replacement fitted.  Unfortunately they didn't have one in stock and are having to order it in (hopefully to be fitted today).
The spare is a space saver labelled with a max speed of 80kmh.  I drove the car last night to get out training.  It pulls left a little.  Hopefully this is down to the dodgy wheel and when the real one is fitted it will be OK.  I'm going to get the tracking checked anyway.  The wheel rim looked OK so we may be lucky and have nothing expensive bent.

Later in the day I got a call about her car.  In true Fiat fashion it is suffering from corrosion.  The garage refused to carry out any work to correct it as it was too big a job for them.  Market value of the car is only about £600 with a valid ticket.  I suspect it may cost almost that to sort the holes as the worst area is around the fuel tank.  I suspect we will be looking to buy a replacement this weekend.
 :Xo!

Oh, and the dishwasher has fried itself as well. :(

GASlick

Re: I hate cars!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 03:12:44 AM »
Sometimes you just have to laugh ;D

We've all been there.  Hope everything works out well for you.  I know it is very aggravating though.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:23:55 AM »
At anytime did you let Magma touch your dishwasher?  She has a way with appliances, specifically hoovers.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »
Luckily she didn't bend the rim. Just go with the flow mate, we've all been there.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
Dave, I'm sure you know this already but FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tony. :px

Sorry to hear about your troubles, bro. Hang in there. O0
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:42:41 AM »
when it rains it pours

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »
I always thought Fiat stood for Fix It Again Tomorrow.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »
I always thought Fiat stood for Fix It Again Tomorrow.

That too! ;D
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 02:14:02 PM »
Girlfriend bought a brand new Mustang......man it looks cool, all black and smooth.  She ahs the car for 2 weeks and is hit by a car backing out of a parking spot in WALLY WORLD parking lot and the drivers air bag goes off. She has dazed but alright.  $2700 to replace airbag, fix sensor in front of car and replace a metal looking plastic piece on the front.  I want the good old days back, when a car could handle a little abuse and not cost you an arm and a NUT to get repaired.
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 02:43:33 PM »
The good old days:
Bang out the dents
Electro-mechanical points distributor
Fix anything with a screw driver, 2 spanners and a big hammer

Of course British made cars from those days rotted faster than a windfall apple, but they were easy to fix.

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 09:54:28 AM »
My car :  replacement tyre fitted, tracking checked £120
My wife's car : holes big enough to put a hand in, one in an area that will be very difficult to fix.

My wife went out to the dealer that we bought her car from and came back looking very pleased with herself.  We will be taking a 3 year old Fiat Punto in the next week and they offered her £450 for the heap that she currently has.

Dishwasher : definitely not getting fixed.  Once I've sorted out the money from the cars we'll look at getting a replacement.

Enter your email address: