Author Topic: Lurkers, fence-riders and those ready to go SLY...  (Read 5904 times)

Offline rabiddecoder

• Sly Guy in Training
Lurkers, fence-riders and those ready to go SLY...
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »
for the first time listen up, ‘cause this one’s for you! 

Like many of you out there contemplating about going SLY for the first time, I was very uncomfortable about my decision to willfully become a baldman.  Since I have never been completely bald, I was sure that as a cueball, I’d look freakishly odd with a hairless, smooth-skinned dome.  I was sure that at least temporarily, being bald would lower my self-confidence and the fire-storm of comments and relentless question from friends and family members about my choice to become a mellonhead would be far too overwhelming.  Simply stated, I was scared that I’d regret my headshaving decision immediately after it occurred.  However, I also decided that if something scared me, it probably meant that I should do it.   It was at that point roughly three weeks ago that no matter what, I decided that I would shave my head- BALD!

Two months ago I headed to the barbershop for what would be my last haircut, a close as you can get $10, down to the wood clipper cut.  Weeks had passes between that cut and my decision to go SLY so, I had a considerable “Sloppy Joe” crewcut to contend with prior to going SLY and although receding, I’m still probably just a no 2 on the baldness scale.  I had all the gear to take my crewcut down to the wood at home but thought that my first trip into SLY needed to be done by a professional.  I was lucky enough to find two barbers that would do a full-on, hot lather headshave in my area.  The first barbershop was in an upscale part of town that oozed expense, salon-type nuances and the second was in what I’d call a blue-collar, no-frills, down-on-its-luck area.  Of course, I opted for the salon type shop because I could use a good fingernail and eye brow treatment before going SLY.  Yea, like H - E double hockey sticks I chose that place!  It was the latter shop for this SLY guy!

This past week I <not yet bald> headed over to the barbershop for my headshave.  I had never been to this barbershop nor did I know where it was and as my mind was preoccupied with how I would look and feel roughly an hour later, the GPS navigation instructions came in handy.  There were 3 customers ahead of me so I had several minutes to wait before it was my turn to shine!  I sat in the barber’s chair and as every customer is, I was readied for a cut.  The barber asked this soon to be SLYguy, “what’ll it be?”  I confidently replied, “Take it all off!”.  The barber responded, “#1 butch all around?”  I answered, “No, I want it all off”.  The barbers said, “Burred down to the wood, right?”  I turned to the left and looked the barber directly in the eye I replied, “No, I want it all buzzed off and then shaved – BALD!”  His response was an enthusiastic, “Outstanding, you got it!”

A dozen or so passes with the clippers and about a minute later, I had a respectable zero guard buzzcut.  The barber then began to remove as much stubble as possible by scraping my scalp with another, much smaller set of clippers.  This second step towards SLY took a lot more time than I imagined that it would, about 5 minutes.  At this point, I was pleased with my decision to go SLY at a barbershop and not do it myself as I never would have paid such close attention to detail as the barber.  Up next came the pièce de résistance – the hot lather, straight edge shave. 

Hot lather was applied to my scalp in stages.  First up top and as the razor removed the stubble I could definitely feel the cool air on the now completely hairless top of my head.  As the barber worked his way around my dome I became transfixed on my own reflection.  A few moments and one healthy dose of bay-rum (ZEEOOWW!!!) later, my transformation to SLY was complete!  My initial reaction - I could not believe how good the cue looked and said so out loud!! WOW!!

The first thing I noticed about being a SLYguy is the number of stares a skinned dome garners…. and this was just on the 3 minute walk back to my car!!  This is probably due to the fact that it looks great and for me, baldering was an instant confidence builder!  Second thing - it’s really cold in winter and since I had no intention of going sly and then wearing a hat, I began to really feel the frigid temperature.   On the drive home I could not stop feeling my balded dome or stealing a glimpse of it in the rearview mirror.  I felt more confident about myself than I ever did before.  This, I decided, was the absolute best look for me - bar none!! 

I was under the impression that a straight razor shave would leave absolutely no trace of stubble.  Unfortunately for this SLYguy, that was not the case.  Although I had already purchased the headblade and have been a regular user of its shaving products for my daily facial shaves, I was not comfortable using the headblade - at least not yet.  I got out my old trusty Norelco and went to town annihilating what stubble was left by the straight razor.  This REshave took a considerable amount of time but the end result was fantastic!!  A completely hairless dome with absolutely no trace of stubble, NONE!  The reflection in the mirror was the newest SLYGuy and I sure did think that I looked great!!

Forty minutes later, it was time for this SLYguy to show off his gleaming, bald melon to the world!!  Around here, the best place to be seen is at the mall in the affluent part of town and it just so happens that this SLY needed a cell phone upgrade and the cell phone stores are located in the mall.  What an odd coincidence, huh?   Let me state that for the record, you don’t notice the vast number of SLYguys roaming the world until you are one.  Which one of you SLYguys sent out the APB that there was a new baldman in town ready to show off his new’d melon?  The place was absolutely teaming with cueballs all of whom gave a strongly affirmative nod to this newSLY!  What a great welcome!!  As if things could not get any better, this newSLY could not help but notice the number of ladies stealing a glimpse of the dome and once I made eye-contact with them, an embarrassed, spirited smile was returned.  Talk about another confidence builder, huh?

It’s time to discuss reactions from friends and family.  Overwhelmingly, their reaction stated at full-volume is, “YOU SHAVED YOUR HEAD!!!”  Upon hearing this remark I thought, “Wow!! Nothing gets by you.  Absolutely remarkable!!”  Thankfully, no one that I know is a detective and therefore, expected to see things that aren’t in plain sight.  Once the initial shock of seeing this SLYguy for the first time is over, everyone has been complimentary.  I’ve been told that I look younger, far better looking and the best remark, “you look really, really good and more confident that I’ve ever seen you look before.  The bald head really suits you.”  It doesn’t get much better than that SLYguys, does it?  I have not had one negative comment on my hairless dome, not one.  Am I devilishly handsome?  Of course I am but, no better looking than you are and I owe it all to this bald, SLY. hairless dome that prominently sits atop my shoulders. 

In closing, my decision to go SLY was the best thing that I have done for myself in the last six months.  Do I wish I had shaved sooner?  Absolutely not, because last week was the right time for this guy to go SLY.  If you’re out there thinking about joining the ranks of us SLYguys, stop thinking.  Take charge and just do it.   Will you regret it?  Will you love it?  You will only know once it’s done!  It's your life. Decide now!

-Owen

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Lurkers, fence-riders and those ready to go SLY...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »
What a great story, Owen! As you said ... you took charge, and just did it. Congratulations mate!  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »
Awesome post!  Thanks for sharing that with us!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »
Nice story! Thank you for sharing.
Welcome in the SLY world.
Go on enjoying the new life  O0

J

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »
Owen - - -That was a great post - - -you are so correct in saying that once- SLY  - -you notice all the other  smooth melons - -and others notice our smooth  domes  as well - -   and there are alot of us out there - -I see at least   4-5 SLY guys every day - - -Thanks again - -Wonderful story  - -Richard
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:22:17 AM by mangosink12572 »

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »
Owen - - -get a picture in when you get a chance  - -want to see that good looking BALD DOME of yours - - - - -Richard

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
Fantastic post Owen.  Welcome to the Sly world.  Isn't it wonderful?  In church yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to see at least six Sly men that I hadn't noticed before.  Each one nodded and smiled as we passed each other.  A sign of affirmation of the good life.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline geoguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:16:35 PM »
Excellent post man!!  Its true,  once your sly, your eyes seem to open to a new world.  I think this has to do with you loving and accepting who you are. 

And hey! Lets see a pic...
If I should wake up tomorrow morning, and all my hair grew back; I'd still shave it all off!!  Thank God I'm Bald!!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »
Overwhelmingly, their reaction stated at full-volume is, “YOU SHAVED YOUR HEAD!!!”  Upon hearing this remark I thought, “Wow!! Nothing gets by you.  Absolutely remarkable!!” 

Great post O0, and love that line--one of the classics! O:O

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Excellent post.   O0

Offline rabiddecoder

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:26 PM »
As you said ... you took charge, and just did it.

You bet I did, bro!  It's been excellent so far being a SLYguy!   !i#t

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 09:20:35 PM »
Owen - welcome to the brotherhood.   Its amazing how many sly guys are out there.   I went to Home Depot yesterday and I swear there were more shave heads than heads with hair.    Great great story!

Offline rabiddecoder

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 09:29:48 PM »
Owen - - -you are so correct in saying that once- SLY - -others notice our smooth domes  as well - -  and there are alot of us out there -

I know that right!  Part of the brotherhood and ain't it grand!!

Offline rabiddecoder

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »
Excellent post man!!  Its true,  once your sly, your eyes seem to open to a new world.  I think this has to do with you loving and accepting who you are. 

And hey! Lets see a pic...

Well said, Geoguy!   I’ll post a photo this weekend and if it turns out that the picture of the dome isn’t fair to the other melons out there well, I’m blamin’ you and Rich.   O0

-Owen

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 06:30:50 AM »
A bit late reading this post, but I gotta add to what the other guys said: it's a fantastic post, and would have sure encouraged me to go SLY if I wasnt already.  It's a great feeling to be in the SLY brotherhood, and to be a part of it when you're out and about at the shops etc.  Glad you feel the liberation!

Looking forward to seeing the results! 8)