Author Topic: New to shaving and I'm miserable...  (Read 10979 times)

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: New to shaving and I'm miserable...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »
We do have strong opinions about products / razors on this forum.  I don't know why fr8train won't just accept my opinions as the right ones.  :*))

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Fclef!!! As the guys have said... give it some time. You'll eventually find the routine and products that work best for you.

Again..... WELCOME!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
You do shave against the grain right?

Offline FClef

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Who are they? Why are they eating my brain?
    • My Band
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 04:08:49 PM »
You do shave against the grain right?

Yes. I have read with the grain, against the grain etc. but yes, against the grain.

Heck, I would shave with actual grain if I thought it would help.
"Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid"
Dean Koontz - Seize The Night

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »
First, welcome to SBG!

As far as shaving goes and those trouble spots...  There are several things you can try.  Throughout the forum there are many different thoughts on the best way to shave.

Some of the highlights... shave in the shower (which helps "soften" the hair), shave first with the grain and then against the grain, shave every other day or every couple days, etc.

As far as what you use to shave your head, again, everyone here has different things... I personally shave in the shower using the headblade with the Gillette Atra, St. Ives Apricot Scrub, HeadSlick or Shave Secret shave oil, followed by Bald Guyz Moisture Gel.

Again, welcome to SBG!

Raaaaawr!! ya just got a whole shave routine from a love god!  :D

Hello FClef, welcome to the forum  :)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 04:55:56 PM »
Give one those Extreme 3's a try. I have similar flat spots on my head and the Extreme 3's were the only ones that ever stayed on my head at those contours. I now use a HeadBlade though and it gets those spots perfectly.

Now that's the razor!  Don't make me challenge you to a HeadShave Throwdown at SlyBaldCon 2009 between the Schick Xtreme 3 and the HeadBlade !  >:(  You're not as intimidating as Nomad and BaldRob.  :*))

Red

Now how do you know? I'm twice the size of NOMAD! O0 And I make BaldRob look like Vern Troyer!! :*))

BTW that's my shoe in his hand!!! ;D

Oh b'jesus!  :XX
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

GASlick

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 07:42:59 PM »
Welcome to the board FClef.  My hair grows in a circle on the back of my head.  I have to take the razor and make a circle with it to get a clean smooth shave back there.  You have to find your "pattern" I guess.

The hair on the back of head toward my neck actually grows across my head, so I have to shave accordingly there.  Point is, no two heads are alike.  give it some time and after you shave, run your hand over it with some aloe and feel which way things feel smooth and rough. Obviously, if it feels smooth one way and rough the other, shave across the rough area.   Did that make sense?

Anyway, welcome!

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 09:41:24 PM »
Welcome to the neighborhood brother O0

As far as shaving, you will just have to go by trial and error for a while till you get to know your dome. I can tell you, I have those divits and weird grains to my dome as well just keep working them in different directions and quit going over them till you raw, ease up on the preasure a bit bro'. You'll get it soon enough it is a process.

Train, if your twice my size you've got big problems bro' :*))

Offline FClef

• Sly Guy in Training
    • My Band
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 09:57:51 PM »
First, welcome to SBG!

As far as shaving goes and those trouble spots...  There are several things you can try.  Throughout the forum there are many different thoughts on the best way to shave.

Some of the highlights... shave in the shower (which helps "soften" the hair), shave first with the grain and then against the grain, shave every other day or every couple days, etc.

As far as what you use to shave your head, again, everyone here has different things... I personally shave in the shower using the headblade with the Gillette Atra, St. Ives Apricot Scrub, HeadSlick or Shave Secret shave oil, followed by Bald Guyz Moisture Gel.

Again, welcome to SBG!

Rats... and here I thought the "Raaaaawr!!" was for me. $@y

::sigh::
"Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid"

Offline FClef

• Sly Guy in Training
    • My Band
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 10:04:01 PM »
Welcome to the board FClef.  My hair grows in a circle on the back of my head.  I have to take the razor and make a circle with it to get a clean smooth shave back there.  You have to find your "pattern" I guess.

The hair on the back of head toward my neck actually grows across my head, so I have to shave accordingly there.  Point is, no two heads are alike.  give it some time and after you shave, run your hand over it with some aloe and feel which way things feel smooth and rough. Obviously, if it feels smooth one way and rough the other, shave across the rough area.   Did that make sense?

Anyway, welcome!

Yes, it did make sense. In fact, I believe that my hair grows in a similar pattern and it is why I am having the difficulty I am having now.

I know that I have to let the blade do the work, I just have to find the right razor to get those trouble spots.

Unfortunately sometimes I am one of those people that jump into something and then read the instructions later... it is my only character flaw. ::) ;D

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 01:00:58 AM »
First, welcome to SBG!

Again, welcome to SBG!

Rats... and here I thought the "Raaaaawr!!" was for me. $@y

::sigh::

I don't just give out my Raaaaawr's to just anyone ya know...!  but okay, you can have
one too...

Raaaaawr!!   ;D

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 09:29:16 AM »
FClef, you just got a proper welcome from MB  O0

;D
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 03:42:28 PM »

;D

ahahahaha!! I think I just scared him off!  ;D

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »

;D

ahahahaha!! I think I just scared him off!  ;D

I think he just fainted :*))

BALDANDRE

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 10:14:50 PM »
Welcome bro...

stick with the shave,,,,it'll come with time.

The bald head works for ya! O0