Author Topic: Soreness/rash/razor burn after the first shave  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
Soreness/rash/razor burn after the first shave
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:12:06 PM »
Hey gang,  day 2 after my first shave and things are nice and smoooooooth!  After a hot shower and Apricot Scrub, I am laying down some baby oil followed by Headlube.  Using a new Gillette dipped in alcohol. I am shaving with the grain then against.  The actual shave is great! I follow the shave with Witch Hazel, Tea Tree and Head Matte. Then some hydrocortizone... because I have a bit of a rash on the back side of the dome.  Is this natural? Will it go away?  Anyone have some recommendations on treating razor burn other than what I am doing?  @c3   

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
Re: Soreness/rash/razor burn after the first shave
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:28:07 PM »
Could be you're using too much pressure on the back of your head due to the awkward angle. Try your best to use zero pressure and just let the razor do the work.

Make sure you rinse  with COLD water as that does help with razor burn as well as closing the pores. There are some very good products on the market for soothing the skin after shaving,  including some very good Nivea products.

Personally my favorite after shave is good old fashioned Bay Rum. It does sting when you first put it on but I've never had any rash or bumps when I've used it.

One final note, aloe is fantastic for any type of  burn including razor rash.
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »
A good strong aftershave will close up those pores fast.

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 03:54:10 PM »
ICE CUBE RUB!!! That's my recommendation
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

buuckkweet

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 04:08:03 PM »
Could be you're using too much pressure on the back of your head due to the awkward angle. Try your best to use zero pressure and just let the razor do the work.

Make sure you rinse  with COLD water as that does help with razor burn as well as closing the pores. There are some very good products on the market for soothing the skin after shaving,  including some very good Nivea products.

Personally my favorite after shave is good old fashioned Bay Rum. It does sting when you first put it on but I've never had any rash or bumps when I've used it.

One final note, aloe is fantastic for any type of  burn including razor rash.

Hi Michael!

The only thing I can add to Trucker's wisdom, is to keep the aloe vera gel in the fridge.  It just feels great cold!!! O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »
10% Benzole Peroxide gel works for me.

Offline Shadrach

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:10:49 PM »
Good ol' Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol will make a man out of ya!  I use it after shaving and it really thghtens things up and after it dries doesn't leave and scent.  Feel the Burn!!

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 01:32:25 AM »
LOL!  Thanks, I'll experiment with all your suggestions and see what works.  Feel the burn... you crack me up! ;D
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 06:55:34 AM »
Try checking out the Body Shop, they have a line of products for men.  They have one there that is called 'Razor Relief' and I find it works great.

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
It's normal for your head to be tender when you first start to shave it, it will toughen up.
Try to avoid shaving against the grain until then.
For irritation try witch hazel, you can put it in the fridge if you want.

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »
 O:O Hey Brothers, I am doing all the above!  Loving the burn of the alcohol!  I splash on the Bay Rum (Kinda like Old Spice but with a pair of hueblos! Thanks Trucker!)  Using the fresh-from-the-yard Aloe Vera at night before bed.  Got myself a Sport Headblade... it's doing me great! May change the blades to the Gillettes though.  Fun times!  Hoping some sun this weekend will put some color on my white flesh wig. Yes Buuuchkwheet, I will use SPF! O0