Author Topic: LDR's... everyone has an opinion,  (Read 14543 times)

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
LDR's... everyone has an opinion,
« on: July 12, 2008, 11:18:55 AM »
so what's yours? Do you think they can work? If not, why not?
Have you ever had one/known someone who has been involved in one/ or would you ever have one?
Was it successful?
am really interested in knowing what you guys think on this matter  :)

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
Re: LDR's... everyone has an opinion,
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »
Well I've been involved in just one in my life. So therefore I have an opinion. I will tell you that maintaining a successful LDR is as tough as kicking nicotine. IMO. And now I'm about to kick nicotine...

Although my LDR lasted for nearly a year, in the end is was not successful. Though I agree that absence makes the heart grow fonder,  :@` extended absences are detrimental to a successful relationship. :x! IMO mainly due to the fact that you don't get to share mutual experiences during the absence. It is difficult when you each are living your life day to day separately without the ability to really share the events of eachothers day.

This may all sound like a big pile of horse sh!t. But then again it is just MY opinion.
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:54:49 PM »
Well I've been involved in just one in my life. So therefore I have an opinion. I will tell you that maintaining a successful LDR is as tough as kicking nicotine. IMO. And now I'm about to kick nicotine...

Although my LDR lasted for nearly a year, in the end is was not successful. Though I agree that absence makes the heart grow fonder,  :@` extended absences are detrimental to a successful relationship. :x! IMO mainly due to the fact that you don't get to share mutual experiences during the absence. It is difficult when you each are living your life day to day separately without the ability to really share the events of eachothers day.

This may all sound like a big pile of horse sh!t. But then again it is just MY opinion.

it was what I asked for, so thanks fr8, I value your opinion  :)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »
I think it's working just fine, Magma, don't you?   :@` :@`

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »

eh? you been drinking Razor?!!  ???  :D

BaldRob

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 03:03:54 PM »
I think it's working just fine, Magma, don't you?   :@` :@`

Hmmmmmm... Razor and Magma?  Somehow, I don't see that...  :/O

Now BaldRob and Magma... that's a match made in heaven!!   :@` :@` How YOU doin'?  O:O

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »

It's OK ... you don't have to pretend ... they'll be cool with it.  ;)

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 03:08:40 PM »

It's OK ... you don't have to pretend ... they'll be cool with it.  ;)

deeeeee! deeeeee! deeeeeeeee!  :D

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »
Magma,

I've never had an LDR but I have been married for 36 years.  Exclusive commitment to your partner is what makes a relationship work.  If both parties are working toward always putting the other person first, in good times and in bad, (commitment) then both receive more than they could have ever demanded or even hoped for.  This is what keeps the relationship fresh and growing.

I can see an LDR being a phase of the relationship but it's impossible to meet each others physical, emotional and spiritual needs LD!  O:O

I dunno if that helps to answer your question or not.

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

JohnMont

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »

MB,
I agree with Srgt.  LD can be a 'phase ' in a relationship; a necessary evil (i.e. of one person just CAN't give up a job while the other MUST move away to a new one);  but one that has to end eventually.  I don't thing there can be any such thing as a permanent LDR -- but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking.

PS ....   what was that whole thing with RazorX ? ? ?

John

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 04:20:40 PM »
I guess I have never had one of those either..I had to read a few post in here to figure out what the hell LDR even stood for lol.   What fr8train posted really threw me off because I thought he was talking about abstaining from having sex...sex all together...either with some one or alone..lol

maybe its a good thing I have never had  LDR because I wouldnt know how to go about doing it. lol

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »
I wouldnt know how to go about doing it. lol

Well with the right or left hand ther Timmay! :*))
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »
I'm a trucker so I don't know of any other kind :D
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????

PhilFromFR

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
MagmaBabe, you post is a real puzzler to me!
I did a little google searches and found : "LDR Industries - Always the Leader in Quality Plumbing Products" and then :
Office of Information and Public Affairs - March 4, 2008 Release #08-205
"LDR Industries Recalls Gas Connectors Due to Fire and Explosion Hazards"
 Aaah- Aaah... Could be it !

MB : "so what's yours? Do you think they can work? If not, why not?"
So MB got one of those gas connectors and wants to know if she can use it safely despite the recall.
So far, so good.
fr8train : "Although my LDR lasted for nearly a year, in the end is was not successful"
RazorX : "I think it's working just fine"

Two confirmations. I'm on track!

But then there is BaldRob post I cannot relate to my theory.
On the other hand, BalbRob could have a defective gas connector; massively leaking gas behind his back, explaining his post somewhat off topic!

sgt. Pate : "I can see an LDR being a phase of the relationship but it's impossible to meet each others physical"
But that's just the point of a gas connector : set a relation between two physical equipements. Unless, OF COURSE, it is defective !

So in the end, MB, my advice is  : get rid of your LDR at once : it is dangerous!

A little story from my past:
Once I had a colleague who was dating a nice girl living 100 km away. Everything was going well, they used their LDR gas connector once in a while and were very happy. Then they decided to use their connector more often and they got married, living together only the week-ends because of work. A year after, he moved to live permanently with his wife. I was invited for a week-end a few months later. A real nightmare : Their LDR connector was damaged beyond repair !
That's the problem with some LDR : they are fine for occasional use. But when you decide to use them permanently they sometimes tend to degrade rapidly. My friend got a divorce a few months  later...

No gas connector for me : I use induction cooking !

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »
Baldrob my love... do you have a defective gas connector?  :D