Author Topic: Hobbies & How you spend your time  (Read 22686 times)

BaldRob

Re: Hobbies & How you spend your time
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 11:50:40 AM »
Welcome to GOLF Tyler!  I'm 35 years old and I have been playing since I was 12 and it is a great game.  It requires patience most of all because as long as I have been playing I can still go out and shoot close to 100!!!! LOL!!!!

Thanks Hawk!  I know what you mean about still shooting close to 100.  My dad has been playing for 5 or 6 years now.  There's been a couple times in the past year where I will go out with him and shoot better than he does...LOL!!  Then we'll go out the next day and I don't even come close!

I stopped keeping score in golf a long, long time ago... much more enjoyable that way!   ;D

Offline Hawk

• Sly
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 12:01:26 PM »
Welcome to GOLF Tyler!  I'm 35 years old and I have been playing since I was 12 and it is a great game.  It requires patience most of all because as long as I have been playing I can still go out and shoot close to 100!!!! LOL!!!!

Thanks Hawk!  I know what you mean about still shooting close to 100.  My dad has been playing for 5 or 6 years now.  There's been a couple times in the past year where I will go out with him and shoot better than he does...LOL!!  Then we'll go out the next day and I don't even come close!

You just have to remember when you are having a bad day on the course........It's just a game.  LOL!  I've shot as low as a 68 and then turned around the next day and shot in the mid 90's.  It's crazy.  I have a lot of respect for the pros that can consistantly shoot low.  I scratched one of my "life goals" off the list last year when me and one of my buddies went and played Pebble Beach in California.  Man that was awesome!  This picture is taken on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach.

Hawk
"I live life in the fast lane and my hair couldn't keep up"

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2007, 12:23:19 PM »
It's called "Golf" because F*CK was already taken.

I'm heading to Bandon Dunes in Oregon next Saturday. Looking forward to some dude time.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2007, 12:24:03 PM »
I alway keep score for golf.  On 18 I'm about a 12.

I'll be so happy when I can only lose a ball at every other hole. ;)
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 02:04:41 PM »
It's called "Golf" because F*CK was already taken.

:DLMAO!!!  Good one Schro. 

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 02:26:20 PM »
Thanks. Someone once said Golf also could stand for, Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. Personally, I prefer my definition.

Yeah, the cost of golf balls sure can add up. I can't understand people paying upwards of $50 a dozen for Pro V1's. I don't understand that. I have played them and the performance doesn't justify the cost.

By the way, I played my first round yesterday since becoming SLY....a smooth little 76 with a couple of holes where I hit the ball too far and went over the green. Maybe I'm the "anti-Sampson". Ya know, the story where the strong man lost all his strength when someone cut his hair.

'Scuse me while I flex.  :o
Schro

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »
For me it has to be rowing, there is nothing like getting a boat moving at real speed with eight guys working as hard as they can, even better at night when all you can hear is the woooosh as eight blades drive through the water.  I also love sports, watching football (or soccer for you guys).  Things are about to change with the impending first child in June, no idea what it is going to be yet, but one thing is for sure, it will be a Plymouth Argyle fan!!  So in anticipation of this I have started indoor rowing, got a rowing machine in my spare room, and race against guys all over the country. 
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline Hawk

• Sly
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 05:00:52 PM »
Thanks. Someone once said Golf also could stand for, Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. Personally, I prefer my definition.

Yeah, the cost of golf balls sure can add up. I can't understand people paying upwards of $50 a dozen for Pro V1's. I don't understand that. I have played them and the performance doesn't justify the cost.

By the way, I played my first round yesterday since becoming SLY....a smooth little 76 with a couple of holes where I hit the ball too far and went over the green. Maybe I'm the "anti-Sampson". Ya know, the story where the strong man lost all his strength when someone cut his hair.

'Scuse me while I flex.  :o
Schro

I buy all my golf balls from this place:  https://www.usedgolfballdeals.com

They have quality BALLS for cheap (MAN o MAN that doesn't sound good!! LOL!!!).

Seriously, they have great prices and I have always been satisfied with the quality.  I like Callaway golf balls and they are the cheapest I have found.  They are used, but you can't tell.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 05:02:41 PM by Chicken Hawk »
Hawk
"I live life in the fast lane and my hair couldn't keep up"

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2007, 05:15:37 PM »
Not sure they still have them, but Golfsmith was selling Maxfli Revolution Solids for $10/dz. I still have 5 or 6. Whenever I see my dad, he loads me up with NXT's. He lives on a golf course in Vega$ and is always ball hawking, especially after the course hosts a tournament. Usually, the tourneys are filled with drunken golfers that get a couple of dozen balls as tee prizes. Funny stuff.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2007, 07:17:16 PM »
I "won" a sleeve of Pro V1's in Palm Springs over Thanksgiving.  There was a guy setup at one of the par 3's that had a competition for charity.  You had to pay $5 and if you got the ball on the green you got a free sleeve.  If you got the ball within the length of the club you were using to the hole, then you won a Calloway Driver.  I was abou 3 in from winning the driver  ;D

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »
I "won" a sleeve of Pro V1's in Palm Springs over Thanksgiving.  There was a guy setup at one of the par 3's that had a competition for charity.  You had to pay $5 and if you got the ball on the green you got a free sleeve.  If you got the ball within the length of the club you were using to the hole, then you won a Calloway Driver.  I was abou 3 in from winning the driver  ;D

One swing?
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2007, 07:38:53 PM »
Yep, one swing.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2007, 07:42:36 PM »
Yep, one swing.
Sounds like a fishing story
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BigJeffrey

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2007, 08:14:19 PM »
Ah golf....the one activity that can drive even the most pious of men to profanity.  I love it. 

I decided a while back that golf is more fun when you have to try to hit it around the tree and pray it carries the water.  If it went where you wanted every time, where would the fun be.

It's also been said that there are two things in life you don't have to be good at to enjoy.  Golf is one of them....LOL

Outside of golf I dig movies.  DVD collection stands at around 300 and the folks at Hollywood Video know me by name.  I also enjoy watching boxing and MMA.  A couple of years ago I helped start a boxing website and I got to spend some time getting to know folks I've watched on TV for years.  I did some writing for Showtime too.  That was fun.  Haven't done anything journalistic in a while but I still enjoy watching the fights.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2007, 06:40:04 AM »

Ah golf....the one activity that can drive even the most pious of men to profanity.

LOL!!!  :D :D :D

Enter your email address: