Author Topic: First Guys You Knew With Shaved Heads  (Read 19839 times)

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
Re: First Guys You Knew With Shaved Heads
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »
AH, it had to be the hare krishna people at the airport, probably mid 70's.  ;D

That would be it for me. But, unfortunately, I certainly saw a plethora of "comb overs" long before I saw my first Sly Guy!
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

marty22

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 06:18:01 PM »
two different guys growing up in NYC in 1973. Saw them in W Greenwich Village.

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 12:54:07 AM »
A neighbor called Roberto,19 years old. He lost a bet and his curls...the end result was very shiny and smooth head,with almost no hint of shadow,lucky bastard haha.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »
I can safely say that I have not known anyone really well who shaved his head, before I started. That may be a factor in why it took me so long to feel comfortable either clipper or razor shaving...no real, everyday role models.  Plus, I was in a conservative profession at a conservative firm, that felt restrictive, and which I left 10 years ago. At the time, I was pushing the envelope with a buzzcut.  Whatever role models I had came from this site. Sometimes I now see former colleagues, still in that firm at conferences, professionally, etc.  Clipper and razor shaved haircuts are much more common and accepted at that firm now. All for the better. In my age group (mid-60s), I still see more combovers than shaved heads.  I see more clipper and razor shaved heads in younger men of all ages though. And I think that my shaved head makes me appear younger to many people who don't know my age, which is helpful.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »
Actually the first person i knew with shaved head was myself. back in the 70's.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 04:00:12 PM »
My old man was the first sly guy I knew. He shaved on a bet in the 70's and like the way it looked. My whole life he had a shaved head.

Its weird to look at his technique now. He shaved with a bic disposable against the grain, with just soap for lather!! No cream! He had zero irriation or bumps.

I now have him using a  electric like I use
I remember my dad shaving his head when I was in grade school. I only ever saw him with hair from old pics in his high school yearbooks. HE also used those plastic BICs with the orange guard and white handle and never complained about nicks or bumps.

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »
The first guy I knew who really shaved it was my brother in law. I've know lots of guys with tight buzzes, but as he started dating my sister when I was 15, he was the first sly one. My grandpa uses to buzz his head without a guard, but never used a razor. Since I've started shaving, I know several other guys who have followed suit.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 04:22:59 PM »
My old man was the first sly guy I knew. He shaved on a bet in the 70's and like the way it looked. My whole life he had a shaved head.

Its weird to look at his technique now. He shaved with a bic disposable against the grain, with just soap for lather!! No cream! He had zero irriation or bumps.

I now have him using a  electric like I use
I remember my dad shaving his head when I was in grade school. I only ever saw him with hair from old pics in his high school yearbooks. HE also used those plastic BICs with the orange guard and white handle and never complained about nicks or bumps.
my granddad and uncle were also in the same boat. how ironic is it that as a kid, I never imagined myself in the same situation?!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »
I remember in sixth grade back in 1983-84 two guys showed up to school with heads gleaming and bic'd...it even showed in the yearbook pictures back in spring 1984....I shaved my own head for the first time two years later in Spring of 1986....
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 10:28:45 AM »
A few guys where I worked shaved before I did.
SlyBeard

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »
Myself. We used to buzz our head down with a 0 in the beginning of the summer because it was so hot where I grew up. Though, the first person I met with a wet razor shaved head was one of my father's former teachers that visited us when I was a kid.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 01:51:25 PM »
First person I really knew with a shaved head was a co-worker in Sales. He said he decided to shave his head so clients would always remember the bald guy.

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 02:10:12 PM »
A few guys where I worked shaved before I did.

What reactions they had when you appeared at work completely smooth?

Offline Ty1963

• Sly Jr.
  • Hi I'm Ty
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2019, 12:34:58 PM »
I use a Braun  Series for my evening shave, but some days that's all I use I get a great  Shave with that thing!
Hi I'm Ty I'm 55 years old my hair started thinning in my late 20s and really started thinning quickly in my late 40s I've worn a hair system for the last year and I've just decided to shave my head for 30 days and give it a try so far I like it I feel confident with my bald head. Feels great!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2019, 01:47:53 PM »
When I lived in Florida about 8 years ago, my neighbor/friend was the first person I knew that shaved. He was retired military. I only saw him with a slight horseshoe shadow one time, so he obviously shaved daily.

One evening my gf and I, and he and his wife were sitting around his patio, and the subject of his shaved head came up. His wife said she dated him because he had a shaved head, as she loved them. I told my gf maybe I should shave my head, and she said NOOOOOO!

I never even considered shaving my head until 6 years ago. I was the last guy you would ever think would go sly. Then one summer I was considering a buzzcut, and my next door neighbor shaved his head every couple weeks. One evening I was chatting with him, and he had a great looking fresh bald head, and that was when I thought about trying it. Early the next morning I got up and shaved it all off. You know the rest of the story!
Bald by choice, and loving it!