Author Topic: "Shave Secret" is awesome, BUT......  (Read 13933 times)

Offline SonOfKrypton

• Sly
"Shave Secret" is awesome, BUT......
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:44:54 PM »
After using it with my headblade (with a Gilette Sensor 2 blade) for a couple days now, I am now fairly certain that it degrades blades faster than using Headblade Headslick.  My theory as to why this is so is that Shave Secret is an oil.  Oils and water are immiscible in one another.  You can clean out most of the gunk in the blade after using Shave Secret, but not as much as you can after using Headslick (which is, for the better part, water soluble).  This shave secret residue, combined with leftover residue from your skin oils and such, leads to blade degradation a lot faster than normal.  Anyone else notice this?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: "Shave Secret" is awesome, BUT......
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:12:13 AM »
I've noticed this also, that's why I prefer to use Pacific Shaving Oil.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:01:51 AM »
I've had the opposite experience. I've been using the Shave Secret for a few months now. What I've found is that I have to give the razor a really good rinse to de-gunk and then I used a technique that somebody else on the forum wrote about (Was it Warhawk? I think so.) which involves spraying the blades with rubbing alcohol between passes. It seems that if there is any oil from the SS left on the blades that the alcohol kills any bacteria that might be residing in it. I was told once that the bacteria is what actually causes damage to the blades. I have had the same HB Triple in my Sport for the last 2.5-3 weeks shaving every other day. So that's 10 or 11 complete shaves without feeling the need to change carts. I think the alky is the secret.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:09:17 AM »
I've had the opposite experience. I've been using the Shave Secret for a few months now. What I've found is that I have to give the razor a really good rinse to de-gunk and then I used a technique that somebody else on the forum wrote about (Was it Warhawk? I think so.) which involves spraying the blades with rubbing alcohol between passes. It seems that if there is any oil from the SS left on the blades that the alcohol kills any bacteria that might be residing in it. I was told once that the bacteria is what actually causes damage to the blades. I have had the same HB Triple in my Sport for the last 2.5-3 weeks shaving every other day. So that's 10 or 11 complete shaves without feeling the need to change carts. I think the alky is the secret.
hey buddha:  yep...it's me that mentioned about the rubbing alcohol.  U guys need 2 try it out.  it decreases irritation & increases the life of your razors. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline handlebar

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:42:16 AM »
While i agree that the oil does gum up the razors a bit,i still get 5-7 shaves out of each Bic Sensor razor.Thats pretty good for both my face and scalp. And a 6pk of razors at Walgreens sets me back $3.99.So i figure $5 a month for razors and headslick,etc.Not too shabby.

I'm seriously considering the Panasonic 8077 Linear shaver though.After watching that demo of it,i would like to try it out.

Jim

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:05:22 AM »
While i agree that the oil does gum up the razors a bit,i still get 5-7 shaves out of each Bic Sensor razor.Thats pretty good for both my face and scalp. And a 6pk of razors at Walgreens sets me back $3.99.So i figure $5 a month for razors and headslick,etc.Not too shabby.

I'm seriously considering the Panasonic 8077 Linear shaver though.After watching that demo of it,i would like to try it out.

Jim

Jim,

In have used that Panasonic and the techniques used in that video with the oil and everything. It sux! It gave me hella razor burn and irritation. My Braun 360 complete is way more gentle and gives 0 irritation. That Panasonic has a motor that runs so dang fast. It really chewed my skin up.
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline handlebar

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:12:45 AM »
Thanks for the info Nick.I posted another thread asking others for their results as well.

Jim

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »

Hey Tyler, does this oil have any fragrance?

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »

Hey Tyler, does this oil have any fragrance?

Red

It's a very light citrus smell.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
I use Shave Secret on the road--small easy to pack, and baby oil at home--I use more but then very cheap.  I've never had a "clogging" problem, and with the alcohol spritz idea that Warhawk brought to the table, it gives a great lasting shave.

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »

I received the bottle of Pacific Shaving Oil that I ordered.  Tried it out this morning with my Panasonic shaver.  It worked well enough, but I believe my Anthony Pre-Shave Oil works just a bit better.  The Anthony Oil is more like a 5W30 Synthetic that can handle the high RPMs of the Panasonic.  ^-^  I'll certainly use the Pacific Oil when I shave my face.  It does have a very faint, but pleasant fragrance.  I'd recommend it.
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline tazdog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 04:09:30 PM »
I see there are a few who are considering trying the panasonic 8077 linear. I picked one up last year and use it to shave my head. It works great too!! Can be used wet or try. Me I wet my head and start shaving. Every 2 or 3 days. Takes it close as a blade without cutting yourself. Cleanup is easy too. It does take a few weeks to get use to. I do save money as compared to using a blade and shaving cream.

Tazdog

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
Hey Tazdog,

Since you're a fan of electric razors (and the Panasonic in particular) go to this link and support Team Vortex.

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=5925.0

Cheers,

Red

Offline tazdog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
Hey Red;
   I did cast my vote for Team Vortex. Like you said........no cuts!!

Tazdog

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
I went to Wal Mart a few days ago browsing for shave oil. (I was looking for American Crew and expecting to pay around $10-$15) the only shave oil I found there was Shave Secret and it was only like $3. I figured since it was so cheap it might not be any good, but I figured for $3 is was worth a try. I was going to try this out with my Panasonic 8078S when I get it. Will that be ok to do and will I have to clean the razor any particular way after using it with oil?
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.