Author Topic: Restaurant lays off waitress who shaved head for cancer charity  (Read 8815 times)

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
Re: Restaurant lays off waitress who shaved head for cancer charity
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 11:54:36 PM »
Good find Max... that place deserves to go bankrupt.  The fact that the woman raised that kind of money for such a worthy cause and then was treated in such a rude manner by her employer makes me sick.  As a future restaurant owner, I'd have given her a raise!  The restaurant could have gotten some positive publicity by simply supporting her actions instead of acting in the way he did.  I understand that employers have a right to designate their own policies regarding dress codes but this guy needs to wake up and take a look around - the world is changing and people need to deal with those changes.  I would even have encouraged other employees to match or best her fundraising efforts and made a big deal out of how selfless she is... totally disgusting!  She definitely has a case if any current or past male employee had a buzzcut of any length - just completed a course in Hospitality Mgmt & Supervision and we studied all kinds of lawsuits such as this... sorry to rant but this makes me want to go up there and tell the guy off!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 06:39:54 AM »
Makes me want to go find this place and stand out in front of the restaurant with my clippers and razors  and WITH HER.   We all could go up there and make a statement.  Set up a headshaving booth right across the street from that restaurant.  Anyone willing to move the convention to Canada??  I have my passport...im ready!

marty22

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 09:23:42 AM »
Legal cases arent free sometimes and for what $$$$$$$$$$$$$ amount in wages. May cost her 1/3 for let's say $4,000 in wages. It's a lose lose for all.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 10:44:37 AM »
Legal cases arent free sometimes and for what $$$$$$$$$$$$$ amount in wages. May cost her 1/3 for let's say $4,000 in wages. It's a lose lose for all.

On the other hand, the publicity may help her to find a better job.  Someone might read about this and hire her. Let's hope so.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
yea Im sure she will draw alot of media attention. I hope she can use it in her favor
==SLY SERGEANT==

buuckkweet

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »
Her boss is a weak little wiener!  I hope she gets a good lawyer and drops the hammer on that stuffy place!!

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 03:09:24 PM »
Makes me want to go find this place and stand out in front of the restaurant with my clippers and razors  and WITH HER.   We all could go up there and make a statement.  Set up a headshaving booth right across the street from that restaurant.  Anyone willing to move the convention to Canada??  I have my passport...im ready!

Well, It may be a bit too late to change the convention here, but the town is only about 2 and a half to 3 hours away from me, and since I'm off all of August, if any of you are wanting to come up here for a weekend we could all go there for a day sporting our shiny domes raise absolute hell!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »
HHHhhhhhmmmmm....

I may be in one of my dissenting moods.  But there might be other angles to consider. 

I wonder if this young lady asked/forewarned her boss ahead of time.  Or if she just walked in and shocked the hell outa everyone.  If the latter, she may have approached it in a more responsible manner.

In other words, just because someone engages in a good....no, GREAT cause, doesn't automatically grant carte blanche, unchallengeable exploits in the workplace.

What if a valuable employee in some other business just up and took off a week or two of work, without calling in or any prior discussion or "arrangements", to do an out-of-town, out-of-state mega marathon fund raiser for AIDS, CANCER, SAVE THE WHALES, or whatever.

I'm not sure this employee--no matter how good the cause--could claim IMMUNITY.

I realize this illustration doesn't EXACTLY match......it's the principle.

That's a courageous great thing that girl did...but maybe it could have been done more responsibly as related to employment standards ...we don't know the details.

It would be a courageous and wonderful thing if for every facial tattoo, nose and eye brow piercing I recieved, a sizeable donation was made to cure AIDS....but I'd have some thinking to do as to how that might affect my career path.....and at least run it by my boss before just showing for my next appointment with Martha and Merle to consult them on their retirement plan.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:00:24 PM by Robmeister »

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 08:58:21 PM »
HHHhhhhhmmmmm....

I may be in one of my dissenting moods.  But there might be other angles to consider. 

I wonder if this young lady asked/forewarned her boss ahead of time.  Or if she just walked in and shocked the hell outa everyone.  If the latter, she may have approached it in a more responsible manner.

Well, I've been to Owen Sound many times, and I know it's not a big city.  I also know from when I shaved my head for COPS For Cancer fund raisers in the past, that word gets out well before you do it to everyone because you collect pledges to shave your head.  So there is no question to the fact that her employers knew full well what she was doing.  They could have advised her prior to doing it what their views were however they didn't.  Therefore I still say we get a group of Sly brothers together and show up there!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 09:10:22 PM »
....there is no question to the fact that her employers knew full well what she was doing.

If this is unequivocally the case....then...YES...YES

....let's burn the devil's den of an establishment and string up Satan's minions by their testicles!  I'm on the next flight to Owen Sound, man.
:x! >:( :Xo!   b0x3r W#p
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:16:07 PM by Robmeister »

Offline Jer

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 09:16:25 PM »
....there is no question to the fact that her employers knew full well what she was doing.

If this is unequivocally the case....then...YES...YES

....let's burn the devil's den of an establishment and string up Satan's minions by their testicles.
:x! >:( :Xo!  W#p

Well, I would have to say peaceful protest, as I'm bound by my job, even off duty...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 09:20:37 PM »

Well, I've been to Owen Sound many times, and I know it's not a big city.  I also know from when I shaved my head for COPS For Cancer fund raisers in the past, that word gets out well before you do it to everyone because you collect pledges to shave your head. 

Besides, her head was not even shaved.  The photo in the paper looked like it was a #2 buzz cut.  Perhaps not the most flattering haircut for her, but it certainly was not extreme in any way.  There are plenty of women out there with hair just as short or shorter.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 09:22:14 PM »
Of course, and I am playing devil's advocate, there could be other factors in her losing the job.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Of course, and I am playing devil's advocate, there could be other factors in her losing the job.

They pretty much admitted it was the haircut when they told her to take time off.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »

Well, I've been to Owen Sound many times, and I know it's not a big city.  I also know from when I shaved my head for COPS For Cancer fund raisers in the past, that word gets out well before you do it to everyone because you collect pledges to shave your head. 

Besides, her head was not even shaved.  The photo in the paper looked like it was a #2 buzz cut.  Perhaps not the most flattering haircut for her, but it certainly was not extreme in any way.  There are plenty of women out there with hair just as short or shorter.

Details be damned.... ;)  (and i mean that in friendly sort of way)

I guess what has stuck in my craw is the possibility that as long as it's for a good cause....some level of license or immunity is demanded in the work place....that's all. 

Hey, her boss could be the biggest jerk on the planet....and she's one step behind mother teresa.  We just don't know the details to flesh that out.

There could be the possibility that she just SHOWED UP like that and expected the "Good Cause" card would grant her carte blanche immunity.

As far-fetched as my illustrations may be above...I think they make a fair point.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:38:38 PM by Robmeister »