Author Topic: Carpool to the convention?  (Read 5867 times)

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Carpool to the convention?
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:46:28 AM »
So I was talking to Paul a short while ago about getting to the convention.  I was wondering if anyone who is going is from Ontario or Michigan and wanted to carpool?

My route will basically take me from my house to the Sarnia/Port Huron MI border, Flint, Lansing, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph in Michigan, then to Michigan City and Gary Indiana, then up through Chicago to Gurnee.

So, if anyone is on that route or slightly off it and wants to save some gas money, let me know to see about carpooling.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Carpool to the convention?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »
I wish there was someone from down this way going up that I could carpool with.  My route will be taking me up along the western state line up HWY 41 straight to Chicago.  I will be passing thru Terre Haute and then all points north.  Or I could take 65 NW out of Indy and go that way...so if there is anyone out there along those routes...even if there is someone on the eastern side of IL that wants to drive over to 41 in Indiana...I could pick them up along the way.

Timmay

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:47:51 PM »
Flint

Ah Flint. My once residence! I miss that certain feel of the Ghetto. Even Little Rock cannot compare
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
When driving through Flint in the mid 90's someone threw a brick threw the back window of our station wagon.

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:14:35 AM »
When driving through Flint in the mid 90's someone threw a brick threw the back window of our station wagon.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say I'll be doing a good 140 to 150 through there...

BaldRob

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:50:26 AM »

Good call!!

Wait... 140 - 150 MPH or KPH?  Big difference!!   :D

Offline Jer

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:11:53 AM »

Good call!!

Wait... 140 - 150 MPH or KPH?  Big difference!!   :D

;D  KPH!  I guess I should elaborate a bit more on some things...

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 07:38:39 PM »

Cmon! Its not that bad!
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline Jer

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »
Alright, so I know it's still a month away, but I haven't heard from anyone in the Michigan/Southern Ontario area going that would want to carpool.  Since I've got a truck it would be costing me about $350 to $400 to drive.  I'm trying to make things as cost effective as possible, so I was looking at the Amtrak.  I can take it easily from Port Huron to Chicago and back and it'd only be about $126 round trip.  The thing with that though would be to see if there is any easy way, city buses or some other method of easily getting up to Gurnee and then back to Union Station to catch the return train for 3pm on the Sunday.

Anyway, these are just thoughts, but any input from those in the Chicago area would be greatly appreciated.  I'm just exploring the different options now.

BaldRob

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »
Here's the train schedule from Union Station to Fox Lake (which is close for me to pick you up):

http://metrarail.com/Sched/md_n/mdn_wko.shtml

You catch the Metra at Union Station, which is where the Amtrak comes in at...

Offline Jer

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 04:08:51 PM »
Here's the train schedule from Union Station to Fox Lake (which is close for me to pick you up):

http://metrarail.com/Sched/md_n/mdn_wko.shtml

You catch the Metra at Union Station, which is where the Amtrak comes in at...

Cool, thanks for the info.  Like I said, it's still just an idea, but when I see that I'll be saving at least $200 it makes it a very tempting one.  Warhawk said that he would be able to pick me up and take me back to Union Station but it's always nice to see all options cause I don't want to be too much of a burden.

I'm still looking for a place to stay and seeing if anyone is interested in splitting on a hotel.

Enter your email address: