Author Topic: Headaches starting AGAIN!!DRATS!  (Read 3090 times)

Offline handlebar

• Sly
Headaches starting AGAIN!!DRATS!
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:42:20 PM »
Last year when i shaved the melon and went slyl,i started having headaches a month or so into it.I figured it was due to the colder weather and grew some hair back.Thought i would wait until the warmer stuff came 'round.
Well here it is.The hot weather is indeed here.And when i'm out in it,things are not too bad.But when i get into an air conditioned or cooler room,i develop a headache in an hour or two.This is really starting to irritate me as i hate headaches (who loves them?) and i don't enjoy taking aspirin every day.
I cannot wear a hat everywhere i go. Why do that when i want to be sly and cannot show it.Defeats the purpose of shaving.
This is frustrating.
I want to remain sly yet the pain of the headaches are killing me.

I have a feeling i might have to grow some hair back.It worked very well last time and the headaches stopped in a week or two even with a little fuzz up there.

AARRRGGGGHHH!!!

Ah what to do??

Jim

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Headaches starting AGAIN!!DRATS!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 08:31:58 PM »
Man, sorry to hear that acting up again Jim.   Have you ever consulted a neurologist?   All pain has a reason and it may just have something to do with a sinus problem or the like.   
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
Man, sorry to hear that acting up again Jim.   Have you ever consulted a neurologist?   All pain has a reason and it may just have something to do with a sinus problem or the like.   

The first time I shaved my head in the summertime, I would get headaches whenever my scalp would sweat.  I have bad sinuses, anyway.  It doesn't happen anymore; guess I just got used to it.  Maybe you're sweating in the heat, and the sudden change in temperature when you go indoors is the problem?  Maybe if you wipe your scalp before going indoors it might help? 

Offline handlebar

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:42:59 PM »
I thought it might be sinus issues but to be truthful,i have very rarely had a sinus problem my whole life.The doctor did say i have a rather thin scalp.Maybe thats why.And as for the sweating issue:I work inside most of the day in that air conditioned area.No way around that during the summer unless i find another job LOL
I have thought of maybe growing just a little bit,maybe a week's worth and seeing if that helps.If the headaches go away,i might have solved my problem.Then i just need to only shave once every two weeks and not every day.Keep that very thin layer of hair on top.I wouldn't be sly but close.

Jim

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:44:34 PM »
You weren't  having this problem when you first started shaving again and now it's just suddenly started up again.  Any idea what may have changed?

Offline handlebar

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:47:57 PM »
You weren't  having this problem when you first started shaving again and now it's just suddenly started up again.  Any idea what may have changed?

Not sure.The same procedure is used.Like last time,it was about 1-2 months into it that the headaches started.And it can't be the air conditioning itself as last fall/winter the unit was not running.I wonder if i have extra sensitive scalp reactions to cold? One friend who is sly says he gets them now and then  but it doesn't bother him.He takes some pain killers and thats it.
I have a bad liver and cannot take the medication just for a headache every day.So i'm at a loss.Will do more research though.

Hmmmmmm.

Jim

Offline Jdogs Better Half

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:49:16 PM »

Not sure.The same procedure is used.Like last time,it was about 1-2 months into it that the headaches started.And it can't be the air conditioning itself as last fall/winter the unit was not running.I wonder if i have extra sensitive scalp reactions to cold? One friend who is sly says he gets them now and then  but it doesn't bother him.He takes some pain killers and thats it.
I have a bad liver and cannot take the medication just for a headache every day.So i'm at a loss.Will do more research though.

Hmmmmmm.

Jim

In traditional Chinese Medicine headaches can relate to liver issues (depending on where the pain in specifically on the head/face - but it is very easy to treat - with acupuncture and traditional herbs   - I used to get really bad migraines and daily headaches - but have been getting acupuncture for years now and takes the herbs all the time.

Yet another cause of frontal headaches is a pathogenic Wind-Cold or Wind-Heat, usually brought on by seasonal or environmental factors. Acute onset of an occiptal headache (pain in the back of the head or neck) is also a sign of a pathogenic factor (such as a cold or flu).

Look it up online, read about it  - or call a practitioner - it can be very easy to treat - no more drugs and can keep head shaving.

Chinese Medicine has been around forever......

Something to consider!

Offline brian.cali

• Learning the way of Sly
  • I like pop tarts
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 02:52:53 AM »
Well, hair does act as an insulator, so it all makes perfect sense.  If the temperature changes from rapid warm or cold, probably mostly cold, you will feel the pressure a bit which will cause a headache.  For me, I live near the beach and the breeze coming off the water often makes my head feel so cold I have to cover it.  I use a "skull cap"...it's like wearing a hat but much more comfortable.

Just take a look at a few online by googling "skull cap"; I like the ones nike makes because they're low profile but fit well.

Offline handlebar

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »
I decided to go to work today with my Borsalino tweed cap on and see if that helps against the air conditioning.
Sure enough,i haven't had a headache so far.And i had one within an hour last yesterday,and the day before,etc,etc.
The insulation factor is the reason i think.
So unless i find something earth shattering,i will wear my cap indoors and such.But a small amount of hair will have to be regrown.I can't wear a hat or cap everywhere.Especially not at church!

The acupuncture and herb aspect sounds good but i don't have a lot of money to give to doctors and such.And hair is pretty cheap to grow  ;D

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Jim