Author Topic: RVs  (Read 1996 times)

GASlick

RVs
« on: May 14, 2008, 06:39:49 AM »
Good morning fellas:

My wife and I have been camping in tents for years, but with kids and our ever growing collection of camping stuff we have decided to buy a RV.  We have done some research and visited some dealers, but it's a lot like going to a car lot.  I HATE dealing with aggresive personalities if you know what I mean.  No offense to the salesmen on here as I too am in sales.

Do any of you have an RV?

We know we want bunks for the kids and a queen bed for the Mrs. and myself.  This is our first RV so I don't want anything longer than 30'. I have been searching the used rv market via the internet and have learned some things.  Any of you guys have any input? Questions I should ask? Features and standard equipment I should look for?

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: RVs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »
YES...just promise us one thing....Dont be a Robin Williams!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
//
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »
GASlick-

We bought our first RV last August.... and it is very much like buying a car. Be sure to negotiate that price down... just like a car deal. Ask for throw ins.... all they can do is say no.

I bought a brand new but leftover 2007 model. they were anxious to move it. List price was $23,600 and i bought it for $16,300.
Take into account that you will need to also purchase the hitch, trailer brake package..... don't cheap out on this. A good package should cost about $880 or so. There are cheaper ones but you get what you pay for in this case.

We started out looking at used but for the difference in price it wasn't worth it. A caution about used RVs.... be wary of cigarette smoke. Sniff everything to see if it embedded with smoke. A friend of mine actually cautioned me on this and I laughed... but he was correct.

i bought a 27 foot with two bunks, a huge dining/living room slide out, and a queen bed in a separate room. Here's a link to get an idea:

http://www.campingworldofcharleston.com/Home/InventorySearchResults/InventoryDetails/tabid/3843/invid/7244/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:44:45 AM by Mikekoz13 »
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline flattop peterbilt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »
you are about to have fun...a double slide gives more room....there are so many packages out there...30 foot is a big camper...you going to get a fifth wheel or a pull behind....if you buy i suggest new..used could have damage or leaky slides.....i can say this don't get one loaded cause you can always fix it up the way you want it...
Life hands you four Aces bet high...life hands you four duces...call

GASlick

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 01:35:39 AM »
I won't be getting a fifth wheel.  I don't have anything to haul it with.  I have a Silverado Z71 and can tow 7000lbs with it.  It has a reese hitch and the light plug on it.

I kind of have the idea that new is going to be better because I don't know what's been done to a used one.  Thanks for all the input.  My in-laws have a fifth wheel with Corian counters and tile floors.  I don't want all of that stuff.  I have small children, I just want something to get up off the ground.

I also know I don't want anything longer than 30ft.  Thanks guys for the input.  If you think of anything else, just post it up.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 08:01:23 AM »
We will probably be buying an RV in a year or two...but we're always unofficially window shopping.

One major factor we're keeping in mind is that--as nice as the fifth wheels and other trailers are--the whole family (me, my wife and two kids) want to ENJOY the RV while traveling...while on the road.

So that cuts out trailers of all sorts as it is illegal to ride in the trailer.   

Growing up we had an RV and it was AWESOME...but my parents opted for the Class "C" type where you can move around inside while on the road.  I can't imagine pulling a big ol' trailer for hours and hours and sitting in the truck or SUV the whole time......PEE STOPS....meal stops?...everyone but the driver can gather comfortably round the table in the back with the cab-connected ones.

I dunno....makes a big difference to us.

There was a time (back when I was a kid) where it was legal to ride in a trailer if you had reliable two-way communication (walkie-talkies in those days).  Not no more.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 08:05:04 AM by Robmeister »