Author Topic: fast food joints.  (Read 22327 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: fast food joints.
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 03:12:31 PM »
I said(heaven as far as FAST FOOD goes).   Nice mexican restaurants are not fast food.    Never will be, either.

I forgot that you're just out of college.  Any place that doesn't have a drive-thru is a nice restaurant at that stage.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 03:14:14 PM »
I'm just giving you crap.

I was referring to the whole in the wall Mexican places they have in Texas.  I consider those fast food, but they aren't fast food chains.

whole in the wall?    ;D

You were reading the pre-modified version...
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2006, 03:16:10 PM »
I said(heaven as far as FAST FOOD goes).   Nice mexican restaurants are not fast food.    Never will be, either.

I forgot that you're just out of college.  Any place that doesn't have a drive-thru is a nice restaurant at that stage.

I live with my family, so yes, i'm bound by whatever they wish to do for dinner.    But it also means I get my mom's cooking  :)
bald for life

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2006, 03:17:29 PM »

I was referring to the whole in the wall Mexican places they have in Texas.  I consider those fast food, but they aren't fast food chains.

whole in the wall?    ;D

You were reading the pre-modified version...

I see.....  just kidding.   
bald for life

BaldRob

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 03:22:46 PM »

whole in the wall?    ;D

And yes, I like mexican food.    My family doesn't really like to venture to hole in the walls though, so we go to a place called los cucos, and if you want the best fajitas in town, Pappasitos is the place(despite being a chain/owned by a non mexican family)

For the best queso, called jose's dip(queso with seasoned ground beef in it, I'd go to molina's.

I enjoy enchiladas verdes, good charro beans, fajitas, mexican grilled fish, flautas among other things.   Plus our red/green salsas.

Now if you want to really discuss texas food, chili is the state dish.   And chili is not texas chili if it has beans in it.

And don't even bring up that crap they pass off as "chili" in ohio.   

But alas young David, you being from Texas think that if it's not the Texas way, it's crap... however, there are many other states in the Union that have outstanding food.  Chicago Style Pizza is #1 (in Chicago, not the crap that Uno tries to pass off)... Maryland Crabcakes are freakin' awesome... In-N-Out Burger is heaven sent... Pappasito's is great (I like the seafood enchiladas)... St. Louis BBQ Ribs are just amazing.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 03:25:35 PM »
can't forget authentic CAJUN food. not that crap that texas and everyone else tries to pass off as cajun.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

BaldRob

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 03:26:38 PM »
can't forget authentic CAJUN food. not that crap that texas and everyone else tries to pass off as cajun.

Or a true NOLA Shrimp PoBoy???  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2006, 03:29:15 PM »
Don't forget Brats from Wisconsin, Clam Chowder from Mass, and Rock Mountain Oysters from CO.

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »

whole in the wall?    ;D

And yes, I like mexican food.    My family doesn't really like to venture to hole in the walls though, so we go to a place called los cucos, and if you want the best fajitas in town, Pappasitos is the place(despite being a chain/owned by a non mexican family)

For the best queso, called jose's dip(queso with seasoned ground beef in it, I'd go to molina's.

I enjoy enchiladas verdes, good charro beans, fajitas, mexican grilled fish, flautas among other things.   Plus our red/green salsas.

Now if you want to really discuss texas food, chili is the state dish.   And chili is not texas chili if it has beans in it.

And don't even bring up that crap they pass off as "chili" in ohio.   

But alas young David, you being from Texas think that if it's not the Texas way, it's crap... however, there are many other states in the Union that have outstanding food.  Chicago Style Pizza is #1 (in Chicago, not the crap that Uno tries to pass off)... Maryland Crabcakes are freakin' awesome... In-N-Out Burger is heaven sent... Pappasito's is great (I like the seafood enchiladas)... St. Louis BBQ Ribs are just amazing.

Not true though, fine sir.   As far as chili goes, yes, but it's our state dish.   Same for BBQ compared to many other states and mexican/tex mex food compared to most states.   I love deep dish pizza and I know the best is in chicago.  Same with maryland crabcakes and I haven't had the pleasure of in-out burger or midwestern BBQ.   Our in-out is whataburger basically.    

Edit: same goes for cajun food, or if you want new york style pizza, or northeastern italian, etc.    

I have been to chicago once when I was a kid, and I ate a deep dish pizza and it was heaven for pizza.    That also happened to be the week in the mid 90's when the massive heat wave struck the midwest.   And yes, I went to wrigley for a game while I was there.   I'm an astros fan, but i'm also a fan of seeing different parks.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:32:08 PM by David »
bald for life

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2006, 03:32:48 PM »
You gotta love Whataburger for being open 24 hours.  It's a great stop after a night of drinking.

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2006, 03:33:27 PM »

My favorite cajun food:  a bowl of shrimp gumbo, and then for dinner red beans and rice.
bald for life

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2006, 03:35:06 PM »
You gotta love Whataburger for being open 24 hours.  It's a great stop after a night of drinking.

True, though the wait to get the food in the drive thru can be annoying.   However, I like how mustard is their condiment of choice, so I don't have to say mustard no mayo like I do everywhere else.
bald for life

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2006, 04:59:44 PM »
I love true Cajun food.  I eat at Popeye's all the time. ;)

Yes, Paul I'm kidding.  I do love some good 'ol Cajun eats.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2006, 05:09:59 PM »
You guys are making me hungry, I didn't have any lunch...I'm starvin now
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2006, 12:55:09 AM »

Or a true NOLA Shrimp PoBoy???  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

And if you are in Georgia - two great Meccas of Barbecue; Sprayberry's  (the original) down in Newnan and Harold's (over by the Atlanta Pen). 

As for fast food ... The Varsity over on North Avenue in Atlanta.  Chili Dogs, Naked Dogs, Pimento Cheese Burgers, Frosted Oranges, Co-Cola's, Onion Rings and Fried Pies.  It's like dying and going to fast-food heaven!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt