Author Topic: Forum Suggestion  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Thunderbroom

• Sly Jr.
Forum Suggestion
« on: May 04, 2008, 10:13:30 PM »
Not that you guys want me to hang around, but I'd be more inclined to if there weren't so many boards/subboards.  It's crazy to me to have so many (33 if I'm counting correctly) on such a small (meaning active members) forum.

How about two or three:

On Topic
Off Topic

FAQ
On Topic
Off Topic

I'm a moderator on a forum with 1,000,000 posts since a reset occurred about two years ago.  We have a boatload of posts daily and only have one board.  We mix the on-topic and off-topic posts together.  It works for us but may not necessarily work here.

Just a suggestion, but I can certainly respect Tyler for running it the way he sees fit.
 :)

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Forum Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 11:12:43 PM »
I think this forum is very well run and managed efficiently. The topics and sub boards are all very easy to navigate and relate to specific topics.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:16:23 PM »
Just hit "show unread posts since last visit" and they all get lumped together in date and time order just like you said anyways..

The best of both worlds?!? O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:25:19 PM »
Not that you guys want me to hang around, but I'd be more inclined to if there weren't so many boards/subboards.  It's crazy to me to have so many (33 if I'm counting correctly) on such a small (meaning active members) forum.

How about two or three:

On Topic
Off Topic

FAQ
On Topic
Off Topic

I'm a moderator on a forum with 1,000,000 posts since a reset occurred about two years ago.  We have a boatload of posts daily and only have one board.  We mix the on-topic and off-topic posts together.  It works for us but may not necessarily work here.

Just a suggestion, but I can certainly respect Tyler for running it the way he sees fit.
 :)

I'm not sure why we wouldn't want you hangin' around bro!?  The more the merrier.

As for the board layout, I did a lot of research on the way many successful boards were setup before setting up this one.  That's why you see the one area that is designated to head shaving and hair loss and the other area that is for "off topic" subjects.  This way people can spend time in the areas that they like and ignore the others.  It also helps with new people that come in so that they can easily navigate to the topic that they are interested in.   Also, many of the boards were not here when I started the site, but were added as the same category of topics became popular on the general boards. 

With that said, I'm always interested in learning how other successful boards are setup.  If you want to post a link the the forum you're referring to or PM me with that link, I'll go check it out so that I can see how it's organized and possibly implement some of the successful things here.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 12:22:06 AM »
Just hit "show unread posts since last visit" and they all get lumped together in date and time order just like you said anyways..

The best of both worlds?!? O0

That's the way I always do it.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 04:33:38 AM »
Not that you guys want me to hang around, but I'd be more inclined to if there weren't so many boards/subboards
thunderbroom:  like tyler said the more the merrier... hope U stay an active member of the best site on the internet.  i love the current set-up of the forum as of now but i hope U remain active with us.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 05:11:09 AM »
I like the way the Forum is set up and I think it's easy to navigate........... but I think you should still hang around!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields