Author Topic: Editing posts, and reputation.  (Read 12996 times)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Editing posts, and reputation.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 05:09:49 AM »
You know I think we all know everyones reputation around here. I dont think we need to have a lil game like that. Everyone here has a great rep to me and I cant wait to meet some of yall!

Nick nails it!!!!!!!!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

GASlick

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 06:26:57 AM »
This is the only forum I'm part of  as well and understand the concept of reputation.  I think we all know what we're about for the most part.  At least the ones that actively participate.
We are earning our reps the old fashioned way - honest discussion and interaction.  We don't always agree, but who agrees all the time?  We just accept and move on!  Love my SLY Brothers!

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »
This is a losing battle on my side... and I'm not even trying to win...
Please understand I am NOT trying to win a conversation or crowd into my thinking - but at this point I just want everyone to have a clear idea of what I posted.

I feel as though many of the responses to this post (the ones opposing reputation) have done so in a negative fashion without having a balanced understanding of why it is used.

In this forum, I can see how reputation is not a needed necessity. Although, I can see how it could have it's benefits too!

Having reputation DOES NOT create cliques, create bad attitudes, or even "devolve into board politics". If this is your opinion on reputation, please take a moment to read the following to help you understand how rep works.

In every board that I have been in the past - and currently contribute to, reputation (which is just another word for kudos) is a fun way to slap a bud (or a complete stranger) on the back and say - great point, good call, or good post. 

So, to better feel that I am getting my thoughts across, I will give a brief synopsis of how reputation would work - on this board.

My first day to the forums, I had just gone sly, was lurking the net for new techniques and came across this site. I wasn't even sure if I liked myself sly yet.
Right after I submitted my first post, I had MANY of you come out and tell me how much better I looked, and gave me motivational information to help me feel more at home sly.

Of the many responders, BaldAndre seemed to hit home the most with his comments. Now sure, I could respond in that thread to him stating that I REALLY appreciate his encouragement - but then only the few of you that read that particular thread would know that I thanked him.

If we had reputation - I could have clicked the small icon by his avatar designated for reputation, and boom, just like that I would have added to his reputation. He didn't ask for it.

Keep in mind that reputation hunting (asking others or starting a thread devoted to reputation - or others giving you reputation) is a bad offense. So - nobody would do it.

Also - reputation is only a positive feedback tool. I could not take reputation from someone - only give.

Another place I would have given rep would have been Nick912, I found his product review on shave creams to be extensive and very helpful in my hunt for a good shaving cream. Whether there was rep on this forum or not - he would have still submitted that review - and it would be nice to give him rep for it - and again - if I just said "great thread" after his post - only those that saw that particular thread would know that I ever said anything.

So now I hope you see how it is used in a positive, constructive way.

Another perspective with rep.....
After hearing this, let's say Tyler got a wild hair and decided to add rep - and some of you were opposed - you could simply disable your rep for others to see. This would allow others to give you rep, but nobody else could see if you had, or did not have any rep.

Bottom line.

I am not promoting rep. I am not endorsing it. I am not pushing for this forum to have rep.

The only started this thread to inquire on why rep was not an option on this forum.

Whether rep is here or not, I will stay here - and I'm sure not having rep is not going to make anyone decide not to stay... I just see some benefits of the tool, and was curious why it was not being used here.

Stay sly!

BB
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

www.myspace.com/hascoline

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »
  I thought about adding reputation when I first started the boards and I found mixed emotions on it from several forum owners. 
:/O :/O :/O For those of the Sly Guys who aren't IT types, would someone please explain what you're talking about, in very plain English?  I'm having flash backs to the Manual's that came w/ the first VCR's :D :D :D :D.

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »
  I thought about adding reputation when I first started the boards and I found mixed emotions on it from several forum owners. 
:/O :/O :/O For those of the Sly Guys who aren't IT types, would someone please explain what you're talking about, in very plain English?  I'm having flash backs to the Manual's that came w/ the first VCR's :D :D :D :D.

I can almost see myself looking at one of those manuals wondering how the hell you hook the cords up!!!!

Please see my post above yours, if it doesn't help, I apologize - I tried to make it understandable, but it's like describing a foot to someone who has never seen one.....

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

jusbnme

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »
Man.  I clicked on this thread and half way through my head is spinning.   ;D ;D ;D

BALDANDRE

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »
First bro thanks for the props! O0

Very nice to say that and I appreciate it!

You have a great enthusiasm and are a good fit for this board, so don't take everyone's hesitation to "new" as against you...most (we) feel this is a very well run, organized board and I think we like to protect it...like a fierce mama and her cubs...so know that's where most of our bald brothers are coming from...

You explained it well and thanks for taking the time to do that..maybe it'll happen one day..

if not just hang out , post and enjoy yourself bro! O0

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
like a fierce mama and her cubs

I noticed! lol.

I have only been part of this forum for about a week - and I can say that this group of people that are part of this forum are like no place else! So - if rep was an option - I'd be giving the love to LOTS of you!!!  This is part of the reason that I wondered why this feature was not an option is because I would be using it like crazy.

Like I said before - whether we have it or not is really insignificant - I am just glad to be part of what you all have here.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 04:04:45 PM »
I think its a great idea Biker, but in my experience these things get abused tremendously as the site grows beyond where everyone kinda knows everyone (like we have here).

I run a pretty large forum (mainly through my work as in my line of business I am some sort of Guru / O.G.) but because there are so many members and they are mostly males between the ages of 12 - 30 we see all sorts of issues arise due to post count, trader ratings, join dates, etc. there is a constant battle for who is most elite (or l33t) and people become obsessed with it. sometimes it seems they are more concerned with their stats as a use than the actual board topics etc. So these ratings end up being a symbol of who has spent more time "upping " their stats and not who is really the most knowledgeable or helpful.

I am just saying thats my experience with the whole thing.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 09:32:47 PM »
It doesnt matter to me either way really.  But I will add that by having reps, what would be the use?  So you want to congratulate someone on a comment or post so others can see you did a good deed in telling that person how great of a person he is?  Well in my book we are all equal in here and we all get along.  By having reps one will see well this person is getting more reps than me....or well why did he get that rep because I have said that before....to me it would divide some people in a strange way.  Like I said before...if it aint broke...why fix it.  We all have each others back in here, im happy, everyone is happy...so?? 

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »
It doesnt matter to me either way really.  But I will add that by having reps, what would be the use?  So you want to congratulate someone on a comment or post so others can see you did a good deed in telling that person how great of a person he is?  Well in my book we are all equal in here and we all get along.  By having reps one will see well this person is getting more reps than me....or well why did he get that rep because I have said that before....to me it would divide some people in a strange way.  Like I said before...if it aint broke...why fix it.  We all have each others back in here, im happy, everyone is happy...so?? 

If I gave you rep - nobody but YOU could see that I gave it to you.

It's just like a high five or a pat on the back.. Its not a necessity, but just a fun perk.

So does this site NEED it? No.. but, I really don't see how it could possibly be construed as a BAD thing to a forum of adults - who all get along so well to begin with...

Do you NEED an avatar - no, but it's cool to have one.. same as your member number, it's not needed, but cool because it's there.

Rep would be the same way - something that very few payed actual attention to, just something to toy with while searching the threads.

Please understand I'm not "pitching" the rep thing, just trying to clarify what it is - and the stance that it was brought to the table.  ;)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
So drop it then.......simple as that

jusbnme

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 10:03:02 PM »
Let's not let this topic get out of hand fellas.  I've seen first hand, and unfortunately have been involved in, how something so innocent can turn nasty.  Tim bro...you know we love you to death man but I think baldbiker had dropped it.  You sorta lit the fire again.  Don't take offense bro.  I'm just trying to ease the tension I can see building.

baldbiker, thanks for joining bro.  You seem like you are a very positive person with a lot to offer this site.  Like others have said before, we are all like family here and when something new is thrown out there you are going to get some different reactions to it.  Since everything has always gone well here without the "rep" thing of course you're going to get some of the old school guys around here knocking it.  I'm sure you understand this from the comments I've read from you.  That's why I think you fit right in here.  Because you can take criticism without getting an immature attitude about it.  So if this topic keeps going and going please don't let it discourage you away from this site.  It's good to have new ideas thrown out there from time to time.  That's what keeps things interesting.  Some may work better on some forums than others.  Again, welcome to the family.   O0

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »
my apologies... :-X

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »
I for one dont see a need for it(Reputation) but BaldBiker, your post that explained it did answer a lot of questions I had about it so thanks for it.

BaldAndre is a BBC icon and 14 year long headshaver, he was amongst the first to welcome me on another headshaving forum that we used to both be members of.