Author Topic: The Art of the Mix Tape  (Read 3265 times)

Offline timorousme

• Sly Jr.
    • I Make Music With Game Boys and Segas
The Art of the Mix Tape
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:13:57 PM »
Any of you guys ever made a girl a mix tape? Or have any of you girls received one?

I just finished this one for the girl I told you guys about in another thread so that I can give it to her tomorrow for her 18th. It's more work than I thought it would be. Picking and ordering songs, taking songs out that you love but just don't make the cut, listening, reordering, recutting, adding more, cutting more.

It really is an art, but I think I got it right.

"Tolovesomebody" - Billy Corgan
"I Will Be Grateful For This Day" - Bright Eyes
"Without You I'm Nothing" - Placebo
"Thinking About You" - Radiohead
"There is a Light That Never Goes Out" - The Smiths
"Lovesong" - The Cure
"Lily and Parrots" - Sun Kil Moon
"The Milkman of Human Kindness" - Billy Bragg
"The Other End of the Telescope" - Elvis Costello
"Beautiful" - The Smashing Pumpkins
""(None)" - Ted Leo

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: The Art of the Mix Tape
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »
You have some great songs in there...... I predict success!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

PE#1

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:15:43 PM »
Dude....You forgot "Love Song" from ICP.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just joking man.  Good job.  O0  Even though I probably would have thrown a little R&B in the mix.  Just because my wife, and I, like a little something from all genres. 

Offline timorousme

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 05:37:43 PM »
Yeah, I was going to put a Prince song in there, but I couldn't pick one (I love 'em all), and couldn't find a place where it would fit.

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:25:33 PM »
Good anthems man, the ones I know anyway. 
Alas I've never given anything like that to a girl , not complaining I've given other things   >:D

Know what u mean though about the technique involved, I had given up being a vinyl junkie a while back but now with all the digital stuff u can do, anyone can have go and mashup.  You'll have to mention what your using by the way.

Offline timorousme

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:52:54 PM »
I ripped the songs from various sources onto my computer, arranged the songs, and divided up into two playlists, one for each side. Then I used a cable that I have for recording from my guitar to my computer's input. It has a 1/8" plug on one side and a 1/4" on the other. I simply reversed the usual set-up and plugged the 1/8" into the headphone jack on my computer and the 1/4" into the stereo microphone jack of my Harman/Kardon hk200xm tape deck from the early 80's and recorded directly from the computer to the tape deck.

It took a while to balance it out right so that it sounded half-way decent. The quality is still kind of blah, but I kind of like it like that, it gives it that DIY feel to it and emphasizes that this is something I worked hard on making myself.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:54:34 PM »
I ripped the songs from various sources onto my computer, arranged the songs, and divided up into two playlists, one for each side. Then I used a cable that I have for recording from my guitar to my computer's input. It has a 1/8" plug on one side and a 1/4" on the other. I simply reversed the usual set-up and plugged the 1/8" into the headphone jack on my computer and the 1/4" into the stereo microphone jack of my Harman/Kardon hk200xm tape deck from the early 80's and recorded directly from the computer to the tape deck.

It took a while to balance it out right so that it sounded half-way decent. The quality is still kind of blah, but I kind of like it like that, it gives it that DIY feel to it and emphasizes that this is something I worked hard on making myself.

Why did you put all of this on a tape as opposed to burning it to a CD?

Offline timorousme

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »
I just didn't think that a mix CD has the same oomph as an actual tape. Anybody can throw songs on a CD. It takes more thought and time and love into making a tape.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 07:26:55 PM »
Hope she appreciates it.

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
I just didn't think that a mix CD has the same oomph as an actual tape. Anybody can throw songs on a CD. It takes more thought and time and love into making a tape.

Sounding like a true romantic, Sean.  She's gonna like it.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 05:12:53 AM »
Lovesong by The Cure is a great, timeless song. I've heard it twice recently on the non-commercial station I listen to.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Enter your email address: