Author Topic: Greets Sly Guys  (Read 7207 times)

Offline ShineyLid

• Sly Guy in Training
Greets Sly Guys
« on: December 27, 2006, 05:52:28 AM »
Ok.  Well, I've been reading up on the forums for roughly two weeks now and still reading I suppose.

I'm the type of guy that enjoys both instant gratification and will gladly do things on a whim.  This is precisely what I had planned, though, I have every intention to use the HeadBlade.  The problem... of all the "dealers" listed on their website, only the Target had the HeadSlick, though no one had the Blade (in stock).  It would appear head shaving is a trend, though in my case, it's thinning.  I wear hats ALL the time and even after I noticed the thinning (and semi-normal hairline at the forehead) I still wore hats. 

However, as you know, there are times when a hat isn't necessarily "appropriate" such as nice dinners, etc.  And since I am thinning (have really thinned a great deal over the past 8 months oddly) so much, I've decided just to shave.

Unfortunately, since no one seems to have a HeadBlade, I sit here with my 8oz bottle of HeadSlick beginning to have some doubts about doing it.  Though, NOT because of the reasons you would think (initially).  Assuming my crown is not entirely distorted/lumpy (lol), I have no problems shaving it.

BUT.  My mustache grows nothing on the middle upper lip, the little valley portion, nadda.. no hair, ever.  I'm 32, so I believe any hair I'm going to grow (aside from the back, backside and ears which fortunately hasn't begun yet), I would have grown it... or is there something which can be done about this?  I've not really payed any attention to other guys, though the way my wife has made comments about it, it seems I'm a rarity.  Perhaps that is giving me a slight complex or maybe not.  But, no 'stache grows in the middle.  The rest of the goatee is fine thankfully.

I'll put a picture of myself in my profile before too long.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Greets Sly Guys
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:59:42 AM »
there is aways the soul patch. welcome to sbg. mine was thinning a little when i shaved, and i have a spot on the corner of my mouth that doesn't grow. you may have to play with some different looks until you find what works for you. everyone here will be glad to offer help/advice/answers. just ask. hope you enjoy.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 06:04:27 AM »
Welcome bro ... we're here to answer all your questions
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 07:01:48 AM »
Welcome bro

I thought _I_ was "bro" wp  :-[

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 07:07:55 AM »
Seriously...welcome, ShineyLid

I concur with Paul....experiment with "the look" and pay attention to other dudes (with hair or not) and see how they approach the facial hair.  Some have just a patch on their chin and that's it....some just do the area right under their lower lip and that's all they grow.....some have no 'stache but everything else is a full goatee.   Shoot, you might try that if yer 'stache doesn't grow in the middle of the upper lip, start it at the sides of yer mouth and exploit the other goatee areas....might be a cool look.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:09:48 AM by Robmeister »

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:27:12 AM »
Welcome! Glad you found us. I'll just tell you that I echo what pburke, wpruitt and Robmeister said. See what works for you, and check out what other folks are doing. They might give you some inspiration or an idea to build off of what they have done.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:48:34 AM »
Unfortunately, since no one seems to have a HeadBlade, I sit here with my 8oz bottle of HeadSlick beginning to have some doubts about doing it.  Though, NOT because of the reasons you would think (initially).  Assuming my crown is not entirely distorted/lumpy (lol), I have no problems shaving it.

I was in your same predicament. I found the Headslick and Headlube, but wanted the HB Sport. As I waited for my Sport to arrive, I took the plunge with my trusty friend Mach3 Turbo. Since he has been with me for many years, I thought it fitting to let him have the first go at it. After my Sport arrived, I only use the Mach3 for touch up around the ears. Don't let not having an HB stop ya.

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the neighborhood.

BaldRob

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 08:17:36 AM »
Hi and Welcome!

I was in the same boat as you... hair was thinning, wore hats everywhere!

Right after I moved into my house last spring, I found a box of hats (including my favorite cubbies hat) that I hadn't worn in over 2 years!!

When you're thinning, you try to either make it look like you have hair or cover it up... soon as you shave, buh-bye hats!!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »
Welcome to the group, ShineyLid! ;D
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 11:31:54 AM »
Welcome ShineyLid!!  I echo what some others have said and use your standard razor to shave your head while you wait for the HeadBlade to arrive.  Feel free to post for any other questions you may have.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 12:16:41 PM »
However, as you know, there are times when a hat isn't necessarily "appropriate" such as nice dinners, etc.  And since I am thinning (have really thinned a great deal over the past 8 months oddly) so much, I've decided just to shave.

First off, try the Gillete Fusion until you can get your hands on the Headblade.

Secondly, now that your thinking about shaving your head, you may want to keep a few hats. One baseball and one durby. The noggin still needs protection sometimes against the sun and cold. Welcome to slybaldguys!

Offline TeChNo2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »
welcome from another newbie  ;)

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »
 :)Greetings, ShineyLid, and welcome. You've found the best website focused on baldness and headshaving in existence. Do not let not having the Headblade stop you. I echo Johnny, try the Macho II Turbo, at least temporarily. Good shaving gel--Aveeno, for example--will make the shave easier. All best, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline ShineyLid

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 05:30:41 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome, its about the only thing warm around here... thats right gents, I took the first plunge.  I went to the local Navy exchange tonight and had it buzzed down to the skin, a "high and tight, without the high please".

I've got to say, I was scared as hell, only in that I thought I would have an ugly dome.  But, its not bad at all in my opinion and the wife agrees that "it doesn't look bad at all, you need some sun though".

I am indeed a Qtip at this point.  I'll be using some Aveeno ex-foliation cream, a HeadBlade (still slightly apprehensive about that - just looks odd) and some HeadSlick.  I'm hopeful I wont have any bumps issues with my head, though the HeadLube (matte) and ClearHead is on their way.

I still haven't gotten any pictures up, though I will.  I look entirely different, thats for sure.  Oddly enough.. I've got to say, for once in my life, I'm happy with my haircut.  Ironic.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 05:42:24 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome, its about the only thing warm around here... thats right gents, I took the first plunge.  I went to the local Navy exchange tonight and had it buzzed down to the skin, a "high and tight, without the high please".

I've got to say, I was scared as hell, only in that I thought I would have an ugly dome.  But, its not bad at all in my opinion and the wife agrees that "it doesn't look bad at all, you need some sun though".

I am indeed a Qtip at this point.  I'll be using some Aveeno ex-foliation cream, a HeadBlade (still slightly apprehensive about that - just looks odd) and some HeadSlick.  I'm hopeful I wont have any bumps issues with my head, though the HeadLube (matte) and ClearHead is on their way.

I still haven't gotten any pictures up, though I will.  I look entirely different, thats for sure.  Oddly enough.. I've got to say, for once in my life, I'm happy with my haircut.  Ironic.

Great to hear, ShineyLid -- your exuberance is refreshing.  Sounds like you really have a bounce in your step, man!!

I've been High and Tight, w/o the High for a while now....I am so ready to see how it feels to make it slick.