Author Topic: Deciding to give it a go-  (Read 15687 times)

BaldRob

Re: Deciding to give it a go-
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 06:29:33 AM »
If it's bottom of the ninth in game seven she can wait.    There are some things more important than relationship stuff at times.    No way i'm discussing that at that time.

It's clear you're not married, David.  ;)

Even if I was married, there are times and places for that.    What do you think your wife would say if you talked during her favorite sitcom?   Shut up, go in the other room, I'm watching my show.    No different here.   

I would politely say, I am watching the ninth inning of the final game of the World Series, when this ends, we can discuss whatever you want to discuss.   

I don't want to discourage you from getting married because it's much better than being single.  But, good luck with that!  Women don't think that way.  We would never talk to them about anything important when they are watching a sitcom.  But, when they want to talk to us about something important, in their mind, it's MORE important than ANYTHING you could be doing at that time.  Even the 9th inning of game 7.

I wouldn't go as far as saying being married is better than being single... each has it's obvious advantages and disadvantages.  Which is better is a personal opinion.   :P

However, I will whole heartedly agree... when they want to talk, it's time to talk, no matter what's on, what time it is, where you are, etc!  When I was married a long, long time ago... she used to want to talk as I was falling asleep!  It's a different mindset than the way we think... Like you said, "We would never talk to them about anything important when they are watching a sitcom" because we would look at it as "hey, that's there favorite show, I'll wait til it's over to talk to her."

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 06:43:48 AM »
Well, to summarize what we are all saying .... it's on her timetable and not ours!  The worst for me was a chick who choose Atlanta rush hour traffic to say "we need to talk".  The most I could do was say "uh huh" ... or wreck!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 07:19:49 AM »
I do agree that when she wanyts to talk we should talk.  but why do they sit quiet for hours and wait until the worst time( at least for us) to decide to talk. i just want to understand the reasoning for the timing.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

BaldRob

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 07:47:33 AM »
I do agree that when she wanyts to talk we should talk.  but why do they sit quiet for hours and wait until the worst time( at least for us) to decide to talk. i just want to understand the reasoning for the timing.

That's the universal unanswered question...  ???

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 08:43:28 AM »
maybe one day??!!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 12:39:11 PM »
Two things here;
First, Chris Rock has a pretty good routine on his Never Scared show about marriage.  He basically puts in to, “You’re either married and bored, or single and lonely.  There ain’t no happy about it.” (that may be a couple words off since I quoted from memory)
Second, simple fix: DVD-R.

In any rate it is just baseball, it's not like an important sport. ;)
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2006, 01:13:47 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as saying being married is better than being single... each has it's obvious advantages and disadvantages.  Which is better is a personal opinion.   :P

Can you tell I'm still in the honeymoon phase?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2006, 01:33:34 PM »

Can you tell I'm still in the honeymoon phase?

Yep!   ;)

spaceape48

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2006, 03:42:29 PM »
Two things here;
First, Chris Rock has a pretty good routine on his Never Scared show about marriage.  He basically puts in to, “You’re either married and bored, or single and lonely.  There ain’t no happy about it.” (that may be a couple words off since I quoted from memory)
Second, simple fix: DVD-R.

In any rate it is just baseball, it's not like an important sport. ;)

At least when your married you get some once in a while- when your single there's always the dreaded dry spells. One of the other problems I have with being single is all of my friends are married or engaged, so when they invite me out with them and "some friends", it usually means couples and me,lol.

But like they say, the grass always appears greener on the other side.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2006, 08:05:42 PM »
Yeah, but according to some of my married friends, it starts drying up after the honeymoon phase and a full blown drought hits after a couple of kids.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

spaceape48

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2006, 08:24:17 PM »
Being married should constitute at least once every two weeks. If it dries up all together then the woman isn't getting enough out of the effort to make it worth her while. You have to put in some extra effort when it gets to that point, or trade her in for a newer model.  ;D

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2006, 03:04:02 AM »
Being married should constitute at least once every two weeks. If it dries up all together then the woman isn't getting enough out of the effort to make it worth her while. You have to put in some extra effort when it gets to that point, or trade her in for a newer model.  ;D

Yeah. but trading her in would be a very expensive proposition. When you're single, it's "Hey, give me back my CDs and my jacket" and you're done.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2006, 03:55:32 AM »
Tyler's right, David: Being married is much better than being single.

However, as far as sitcoms are concerned, well, they're an odd phenomenon.
I'd be talking to my ex while she was watching her show, and she'd say "Yes, dear" and "Mm-hm" and nod. But I knew she wasn't listening at all - she would switch her vocal system in her mind on autopilot while assigning all available attention units to the show. And this automatic mechanism would talk to me - and oftentimes the responses would even made sense. What an amazing machine the human mind is...

And later that same day I'd approach her and say:
"hey, what about your promise?!".
"What promise?"
"What we discussed earlier today at noon time"
"No, I think you're mistaken. I was watching the show then, don't remember talking
to you..."

Anyway, it's a funny thing. Something to laugh about over a beer with friends, since we all have this in common. :) It's certainly nothing very serious, nothing that can lead to serious problems, I'm sure.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 03:58:52 AM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2006, 06:14:08 AM »
...it starts drying up after the honeymoon phase and a full blown drought hits after a couple of kids.

Only if you let it

trade her in for a newer model.  ;D

That could go both ways....WE could be traded in for a newer model.....and deserve it!!

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2006, 12:01:42 PM »
First off,  I never said marriage isn't better than single life.   I know it is.    Second, marriage or any relationship is about give/take/compromise.   Or the smile/nod look if you prefer  ;D

And lastly, i'm fairly sure that by the time this would occur in an important relationship of mine, the ground rules on both sides would have been set and we know when to not disturb each other.
bald for life