Author Topic: How often should you work out?  (Read 18359 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: How often should you work out?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 12:50:59 PM »

For example, when bench pressing, if you bench press 150 pounds, use two 75 pound dumbells instead of the bar.

From my experience, I suspect this wouldn't quite work.  Just getting the dumbbells into place will take some effort, then, unless you've trained with dumbells for a while, they'd be difficult to control throughout the movement.

I guess what I'm saying is that just cuz you bench XXX pounds, don't assume you can half that for dumbells.

I just found this to be true doing the opposite.  I couldn't get to the dumbells I wanted so I went to the bench and loaded the weight that I usually do with combined dumbells.  This was too light so I had to add more weight.
For example, when bench pressing, if you bench press 150 pounds, use two 75 pound dumbells instead of the bar.

From my experience, I suspect this wouldn't quite work.  Just getting the dumbbells into place will take some effort, then, unless you've trained with dumbells for a while, they'd be difficult to control throughout the movement.

I guess what I'm saying is that just cuz you bench XXX pounds, don't assume you can half that for dumbells.

I just found this to be true doing the opposite.  I couldn't get to the dumbells I wanted so I went to the bench and loaded the weight that I usually do with combined dumbells.  This was too light so I had to add more weight.
So did you double the weight from 25lbs to 50lbs there Tyler? >:D

Yep, just like you doubled the Quote... !p
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 01:23:29 PM »
If you are into free weights more than machines as I am, try this little technique for better isolation of the muscle.  You may need to actually lower the weight for this and on bench, military press, curls with curl bar, etc you best have a partner.  When you grab the bar, have all five digits under the bar, rather than rapping the thumb around it.  This forces you to use the particular muscle group rather than putting a lot of arm into the exercise.  It may seem ackward at first but it really will give a better burn.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »
Good tip Paul!  I used to do this all the time, but I had completely forgotten about it :/O

Offline mezenga

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2007, 08:35:02 PM »
First off I don't mean how many days at the gym, I mean how often should a particular musclue group be worked out.

For instance biceps; I hear people say 3 times a week becuause it keeps the muscle active and fights the fatigue and sorness.

I hear others say do it only once a week because the muscle fibers need time to re-build and only then can the muscle grow.

So which is it? More frequent or less?

I am starting a revised routine for the new year to get ready for a special event and would like some advice.

Hi Noner. So, first of all, frequency is recovery dependent. It is dependet on your recovery capabilities ( which will indeed vary along your trainning..), and if you don't respect that, you're overtrainning. That's bad, whatever your goals are. We can say that by "rule", respecting a proper sets/reps ratio, a "twice a week" scheme is sufficient (every muscle, twice a week..). Professional bodybuilders and advanced powerlifters do it once a week! ( like if they killed a specific muscular group once a week.. lol)
 If you want a "boost" till the end of the month, try splitting your workout into A/B, and do each one twice a week, with an off day ( 2  on, 1 off, 2 on) where you could even try a HIIT - high intensity interval trainning).  Eat BIG! ( and health). good luck!

## actually i just noted this thread is from december (gee.. i just arrived, consider that..hehe).. it's more like to ask you if you did it in time... hope you did!!##
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:12:35 PM by mezenga »
I was born bald, toothless and naked. Hence, everything that comes along the life, is profit...