Author Topic: How often should you work out?  (Read 18401 times)

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: How often should you work out?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 05:41:03 PM »
 hard  work, and beer. fits nicely.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 05:55:21 PM »
Come to think of it, the same thing happens when we build fence...hhhmmmmm...I'm starting to see a trend here.

I never really had to moved hay (only a bit for my parents' two horses).  I did have to build a fence and that is tough work. 
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 08:52:16 PM »
I'd rather move a few bales than buck the new ones in the field about ten high on the trailer
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 01:58:51 PM »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 02:09:59 PM »
Interesting article on exercising TOO MUCH:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitness/12/22/fitness.overtraining.ap/index.html
[/quote

That guy was running 80 miles a week!  I don't think I've run that in a lifetime...LOL
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 04:17:28 PM »
I use to be a distance runner, but got wise when my knee were all jacked up and shin splints barely allowed me to walk. :'( it still hurt to think of.  I knew some guys that hit high eighties.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »
No thanks...that's all I have to say
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline FateWillWin

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 08:26:26 PM »
I wrestled for 5 years and played football for 10.

The best workout that i found for me is as follows...

Monday - Bench (The weights I am using are for examples, find a good starting weight to where you can complete the sets as follows and move along)

130 x 10 times   ----
135 x 8 times     _____  This is the first week <--- Every week try to add 5 lbs
140 x 6 times     ----

Curls w/ bench bar - 3 x 10 (bar weighs 45) Start with 10 lbs heavier than you end with

3 x 10  - 65
3 x 10  - 60
3 x  - 55

After that Free Weigt Curls

3  x 10 all same weight

After arms and chest, I move to triceps

If you dont have  a tricep pushdown machine at your gym, do skull crushers with free weights

3 x 10 leave same weight

Then I do back and shoulders, Pull down machines are good for this, same with rowing machines

3 x 10 same weight

I then will hit ab machines (you can do sit ups) followed by Leg Press

3 x 10  Heavy
3 x 8 Heavier
3 x 6 Heaviest

After that is done, and i am all sore, I will run 1 mile followed by jump rope for about 20 minutes more cardio....

This has worked tremendously for me, and should help anyone looking to get into tip top shape.

If your too sore, you can do bench M and F and skip wednesdays

__________________________-

I recommend taking supplements to go the extra yard

1. No2 (around 40-60$ at GNC, check ebay for better deals)
2. Ce2 (Same as no2, you should take together)
3. 100% Whey Protein
4. Multivitamin at gnc

After about 2 months if you stick to it, youll notice a huge difference, I just started getting back into my routine..

Hope that helped!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 09:41:56 PM »
That looks like a great routine Fate.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
My girlfriend is a fitness instructor and certainly when we have worked out we always used to alternate muscle groups on each day, so we would start with legs, then biceps and chest and abs, then triceps, and back.  This meant that a) we didnt get bored and b) when we were feeling keen and exercising several days in a row that we had time for DOMS (Delayed onset of muscle soreness) to take effect and go away. 

We usually accompanied this with atleast half an hour CV, and some days only did CV for about an hour. 

The main benefit however was that workouts lasted around an hour which was a manageable time within our schedule. 

Also significant is the way that you train, whether or not you weight train to failure or do a set number of reps.  Most fitness trainers in this country say 2 lots of 12 reps, but that is mainly cos they are bored and lazy!!  The key is variety.  So perhaps start with 2 lots of 12 then after six weeks when your body is used to it do a weight for 12 that you struggle on the 12th, quick break up the weight and do the same for 10, then 8, then 6, then 4, then do the same in reverse, so 4 then 6, 8 etc. 

If you work out in a gym use free weights or cable machines as much as poss, as they are much better than fixed machines with a prescribed plane of movement.  For instance the ab crunch machine is a waste of time bcause most people lift too much and exercise their hips and shoulders. 

Finally and I know i have gone off topic, dont lift too much at the expense of technique.  The big boys in gyms are the worst at this, proving they can do just another ten kilos, perhaps they can but they are no longer exercising the correct muscle group and will have severe back pain later on!!!  So for instance on bicep curl stand with one foot a littl back from the other to make sure your back stays straight, the same applies when exercising your triceps or your lats. 

Not sure if that is any use but if you have any questions, i will try and prime her for advice. 

A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 12:46:15 PM »
Thanks Argyle!

I've also learned from my trainer I had in the past that dumbells are better to use than using a weight bar.  For example, when bench pressing, if you bench press 150 pounds, use two 75 pound dumbells instead of the bar.

Offline DeathTyrant

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »
For example, when bench pressing, if you bench press 150 pounds, use two 75 pound dumbells instead of the bar.

Yeah, that's the principle that 'dinosaur training' uses. If you have to balance the weights, it uses more muscles, especially your wrist ones for grip. It takes more effort to lift a 100Kg sandbag than a 100Kg barbell, that's for sure.  :D

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 12:20:44 PM »
For example, when bench pressing, if you bench press 150 pounds, use two 75 pound dumbells instead of the bar.

From my experience, I suspect this wouldn't quite work.  Just getting the dumbbells into place will take some effort, then, unless you've trained with dumbells for a while, they'd be difficult to control throughout the movement.

I guess what I'm saying is that just cuz you bench XXX pounds, don't assume you can half that for dumbells.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 12:44:38 PM »

From my experience, I suspect this wouldn't quite work.  Just getting the dumbbells into place will take some effort, then, unless you've trained with dumbells for a while, they'd be difficult to control throughout the movement.

I guess what I'm saying is that just cuz you bench XXX pounds, don't assume you can half that for dumbells.

I just found this to be true doing the opposite.  I couldn't get to the dumbells I wanted so I went to the bench and loaded the weight that I usually do with combined dumbells.  This was too light so I had to add more weight.

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 12:48:08 PM »

I just found this to be true doing the opposite.  I couldn't get to the dumbells I wanted so I went to the bench and loaded the weight that I usually do with combined dumbells.  This was too light so I had to add more weight.

So did you double the weight from 25lbs to 50lbs there Tyler? >:D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 12:49:48 PM by The Original Canadian HeadBlader! »
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Enter your email address: