Author Topic: How to play the "Tax Game"  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
How to play the "Tax Game"
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:28:04 PM »
Hey guys, check out my latest post on why the rich get more taxes than others and how to play the "tax game."

http://www.slybaldguys.com/serendipity/archives/186-The-Tax-Game-Why-The-Rich-Get-More-Taxes-Back-Than-You-Do.html

I know we have a lot of CPAs here, so it would be good to hear what they have to say.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline yak

• Sly Jr.
Re: How to play the "Tax Game"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »
Tyle good blog. My wife actual just started 2 contracting jobs (Trivia DJ and Avon Rep) ..She is a stay at home wife, typically be we found great advantages to having her do these jobs that have minimal time requirements.

Trivia we can deduct the price of her laptop, milage, and other cost
Avon we can deduct marketing items, milage, internet access, and the list goes on ...

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:36:52 AM »
Yeah, my wife and I tend to have at least one or two active businesses going on each year.  This allows us the tax benefits along with the extra income.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:26:18 PM »
You can only deduct that part that is actually used for business, correct.?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:32:36 PM »
You can only deduct that part that is actually used for business, correct.?

Correct.  But some things like a cell phone and internet can be fully deducted according to my accountant.  Then again, I'm on SBG everyday, so I use it every day. 

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »
OK...I was under the impression, for instance, that you would have to use your cell phone just for business in order to deduct it all. I like his way better.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 01:33:48 PM »
If I remember correctly, for such home based businesses you must show a net profit in 3 of the first 5 years of operation or it's considered a hobby (i.e., no profits, no deductions, ho business).

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 01:45:43 PM »
If I remember correctly, for such home based businesses you must show a net profit in 3 of the first 5 years of operation or it's considered a hobby (i.e., no profits, no deductions, ho business).

It's been a while since I've been up to date on tax stuff, but that sounds about right.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 12:36:03 AM »

Yes, this is correct, but does not prevent you from deducting expenses the first couple of years if you lose money.  You just need to makes you make money the last three years.

By all means, if you're going to play the game, do it to make money, not for tax purposes, but to make real money. 

Enter your email address: