Author Topic: Wildlife  (Read 3197 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Wildlife
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 09:13:55 PM »
rabbits, ducks, frogs, lizards

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 03:53:14 AM »
lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 10:18:18 PM »
Our place backs on to a National Park that has abundant wildlife:

Birds:Cockatoos,Kookaburras,Rainbow Larrakeets,Golahs(a type of large parrot),Magpies,Crows,Currawongs,Cockatiels.

Mammals:Kangaroos,Wallabies,Bandicoots,Possums,Wombats

Also assorted creepy crawlies notably the Sydney Funnel Web spider which is the most poisonous spider in the world. An untreated bite will kill a full grown man in 1-2 hours. I have seen and caught many in my time here.

I live 30 minutes away from downtown Sydney.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »
I saw a Blue Herron fly through my neighborhood a few days ago, caught my eye because it was so darn huge compared to the usual crows, gulls and robins I see flying around. We saw what I believe was a falcon one day as well.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »
I'm smack dab in the middle of a very old settled part of uptown New Orleans, and it's mainly birds, like egrets who take shots at my koi and goldfish!  I built a new fish pond several years ago to take care of the cost of replacing the ones those damn things got, it's now a 5 1/2 foot deep sucker, basically a swimming pool for fish, and funny thing is in that small head, the damn birds seem to be able to see they can't stand up in it and feed so my fish have been left alone.  All my fish died after the storm--more than 4 weeks w/o electricity to run the pump.  So I cleaned the mess out, then restocked, mainly w/ koi, but also some goldfish.  Very peaceful.  Then last weekend, I look out in the yard, up in the live oak on my neighbor's property and there were either a pair of hawks or falcons finishing off a kill!  Really cool.  On the other side the neighbor has a huge palm tree that gets a colony of parakeets every year, noisy, fast as hell, also really neat to watch.  One downside, we're w/in a mile of the Mighty Mississippi River and we do see dock rats, Norwegian Rats I think they're called, crawling on the powerlines occassionally--definately not nice.  There's also some other "wild life" in the City, but talking about that would only get Timmay excited--Richard Simmons passed my house one year on a Mardi Gras float, and that's wilder life than most people are prepared to see.  Every "ample" lady was moving with the "man?" :*)) :*)) :*))