Author Topic: Appearance???  (Read 30314 times)

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
Re: Appearance???
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2007, 02:48:29 PM »

As alternative athletes begin to replace the mold, I definitly hope the old stigma of the SkinHeads can just fade out.

I thought it already had.  I've never had that reaction from anyone.  Nor can I ever remember seeing an actual skinhead in person.  The only ones I've ever seen have been in the movies and on TV.  Those of you who have been mistaken for skinheads -- where do you live?  Maybe it is a regional thing?

As an aside, people from multi-ethnic backgrounds are more and more common nowadays and it's not always easy to tell the ethnicity of a guy who shaves his head.  Nobody's ever going to mistake me for anything other than a white guy, but if you hadn't said something about being a minority, Mr. Clean, I wouldn't have known and actually would not have even thought about it.

Razor, I agree with you 100%. I think the skinhead stigma is no longer an issue, I think it was BaldAndre that said it that if you were wearing doc martins and suspenders, that is one thing, but in this day and age being label as a "skinhead" I would think is very rare...plus I think it is just the way you carry yourself as a person and the ignorance comes from the closeminded. I see the "SLY" look everywhere I go, spread across every ethnicity...   

Offline RichardN.

• Sly
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2007, 03:36:35 PM »
I see SLY guys all over the place.  Honey, bald is in.  It might have been a little unusual several years ago but it's now main-stream.  It's very rare to see a guy with longish hair these days.  I don't think that anyone would give it a second thought.  Maybe I'm wrong?!.

Offline Gone

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2007, 09:53:26 PM »
The one thing I notice is that some of the younger, fit guys get looked at like they are one of the ultimate fighter guys...I think that is the only stigma left these days - shaved head = fighter or if you are bulky = bouncer/security.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »
I won't ever be mistaken for a fighter... a lover maybe?!? :D
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline NotoriousSEG

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2007, 10:17:10 PM »
I think RichardN is right on this one.  it's not really much of a novelty anymore to see a guy with a shaved head---not that it's overdone or too mainstream either.   its just right--and its a nice alternative for guys who are going bald anyway to take control of their appearance.  if i don't shave my head, i have two choices in hair styles:  1. i can leave it longer and look like a clown    or 2.  i can cut it shorter and look like an accountant (not that there's anything wrong with that)   OR i suppose i could be the long-haired bald guy with a pony tail, but nobody really wants to be that guy.   if i DO shave my head, i am choosing to set myself apart by my anti-hairstyle and consequently becoming a sexy-beast.  yeah, you heard me.

i knew i was making the right decision even as i was shaving it for the first time, but joining this site and hearing your stories has cinched it for me.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2007, 10:28:10 PM »
The one thing I notice is that some of the younger, fit guys get looked at like they are one of the ultimate fighter guys...I think that is the only stigma left these days - shaved head = fighter or if you are bulky = bouncer/security.

I think a lot depends on your build, demeanor and the way you dress.  A really muscular guy might be thought of as a fighter, whereas a really skinny guy might look sickly.  Put the muscular guy in a business suit and suddenly he looks more sophisticated.  Put the same guy in a leather jacket and he suddenly looks more thuggish.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2007, 11:02:31 PM »
Clay, with my kisser... it's either "hard" or "really pissed off"!   >:(

I work hard to make my self smile and be the first to "break the ice".  :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2007, 04:23:50 PM »
Clay, with my kisser... it's either "hard" or "really pissed off"!   >:(

I work hard to make my self smile and be the first to "break the ice".  :*))

All I got to say is "FAT PENGUIN"...

Thought I would toss something out that would break the Ice  :*)) 8) O:O ^-^
Peace

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »
 fF##  Can I use that CLEAN?

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2007, 05:21:12 PM »
Nock yourself out my friend!  :x! O0

Use Away.
Peace

Bald_freak

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2007, 04:24:26 PM »
thanks for the warm welcome fellow baldies

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2007, 02:15:34 AM »
i knew i was making the right decision even as i was shaving it for the first time, but joining this site and hearing your stories has cinched it for me.

Me too Notorious, this site definitely cinched it for me!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2007, 02:18:01 AM »

Me too Notorious, this site definitely cinched it for me!

That's so awesome to read!!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Bald_freak

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »

As alternative athletes begin to replace the mold, I definitly hope the old stigma of the SkinHeads can just fade out.

I thought it already had.  I've never had that reaction from anyone.  Nor can I ever remember seeing an actual skinhead in person.  The only ones I've ever seen have been in the movies and on TV.  Those of you who have been mistaken for skinheads -- where do you live?  Maybe it is a regional thing?

As an aside, people from multi-ethnic backgrounds are more and more common nowadays and it's not always easy to tell the ethnicity of a guy who shaves his head.  Nobody's ever going to mistake me for anything other than a white guy, but if you hadn't said something about being a minority, Mr. Clean, I wouldn't have known and actually would not have even thought about it.

I live in michiana (northern indiana/lower Michigan) Unfortunately there are real skin heads around here and I have had some of theme approach me thinking I was one of them.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »
welcome to SBG's Bald freak..post up an introduction post when ya can so we can give you an official welcome  O0
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Enter your email address: