Author Topic: Appearance???  (Read 30256 times)

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
Re: Appearance???
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 12:00:15 PM »
I don't think it changes individuality. I know I am not defined by my hair or lack thereof.

I do believe it takes quite a strong individual to initially shave it off  :) So I may say it takes MORE of an individual when its his first time. After shaving it though, its pretty easy to keep it that way...haha.

Personality defines individuality, not hair at least to me.    That is what makes each of us different.
bald for life

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 12:32:56 PM »
The military has done countless studies the subject of hair's association to identity.  Based on my interpretation of how I heard those studies, I believe a person choosing a hair style is an extension of his/her identity and when that choice is not there the person will lose some identity.  So if a person chooses to shave their head, it makes them more individualistic, if they had no say in the decision it is a loss of identity.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 12:35:40 PM by ar3inc »
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 01:01:25 PM »
The military has done countless studies the subject of hair's association to identity.  Based on my interpretation of how I heard those studies, I believe a person choosing a hair style is an extension of his/her identity and when that choice is not there the person will lose some identity.  So if a person chooses to shave their head, it makes them more individualistic, if they had no say in the decision it is a loss of identity.

Well here is the deal.   If you have the intestinal fortitude to shave your head, it directly reflects your personality.   And your attitude about being bald is totally dependent on being in control of things.   Meaning as a young person who could grow hair if he wanted, i'm in complete control of the decision to go bald permanently.   However for those with MPB, they don't feel in control, and some may feel they have no choice.    The thing is though, by shaving their heads, they are taking back control even if they just think they are "giving" in.
bald for life

Offline SBG

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 02:34:14 PM »
well speaking from the POV of a MPB person I can only say that the act of shaving for me is defining with the understanding that before I didnt' really had a choice anymore, I could only trim it. People would constantly say "no, don't shave it all off or too short, you'll look mean/criminal/*insert pejorative noun* and now I just say fsck that, it's my life, my head, my hair and I work with what I got.

Personally I prefer and love long hair (I'm a headbanger lol) but well, you can't beat genetics. :)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 02:38:17 PM »
I love it when people try to stereotype me or "class" me by the way I look. The epidermis dome always throws them off. I'm with a lot of you though, when people first meet me they're not too sure what to think of me.

I don't have to wear a suit at work, hell don't even own one. My customers were telling me that I pulled the look off quite well for professionalism and that kinda stuff. I've got one customer that will deal with only me because I shave my head.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline SBG

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 02:43:06 PM »
since we're talking appearance here: my next 'feat' will be to start wearing a kilt  ;D (not kidding, I'll do it at least semi-regularly) I think either a shaved head or long hair goes very well with that.

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 02:49:29 PM »
since we're talking appearance here: my next 'feat' will be to start wearing a kilt  ;D (not kidding, I'll do it at least semi-regularly) I think either a shaved head or long hair goes very well with that.

One of my friends at the church I work at is scottish, and is getting married this summer.   He wants to wear a kilt at the wedding, but we shall see.
bald for life

Offline SBG

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 03:01:38 PM »
I'm not scottish, I just think kilts are awesome.  :)

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »
Speaking of kilts...When my wife and I got married, she had a choice. I was going to wear a kilt or Wranglers for the wedding. She decided it would be Wranglers...hahahaha. Lesser of two evils I suppose.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 03:49:38 PM »
Should have held out for the kilt that would rock.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 03:55:51 PM »
I'm not scottish, I just think kilts are awesome.  :)

Maybe Vash will chime in on this topic.  He's one of our kilt wearing bald guys.

http://www.myspace.com/v45h0n
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 03:59:36 PM »
I WILL find one. I have a sample of the Tartan.

Offline Clay

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their input!  You guys rock!  This site rocks!  Bald people rock!
 :) ;) :D ;D

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their input! You guys rock! This site rocks! Bald people rock!
 :) ;) :D ;D
You mean we all rock!! :) ;)

Offline AdamsvilleAce

• Sly Jr.
    • JD's Myspace
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 10:59:33 AM »
I agree totally with the smile aspect. I have to let my silly and hour side a lot in order for pepole around me to feel relaxed. I admit I do scowl and keep a stern look about me.(for example,my pic) They are shocked,relaxed and sometimes fascinated whne the smile comes out.

Oh by the way,  hello ,I'm AdamsvilleAce!!!!!
BALDIES!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody ain't able!!!!!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/users_112/563880/samp0f2d16106fd3e898.jpg[/img] [/url]

Enter your email address: