Author Topic: Recently shaved and ambivalent  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Recently shaved and ambivalent
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 07:19:10 PM »

And the interesting thing is that I am seeing a different face whenever I look in a mirror. Sometimes I feel like it looks very good, sometimes I think that it is awful. I am not sure why I feel that way. I feel like that girl in one Seinfeld episode who looked drastically different under different lightings :) I've started to develop this into an obsession and I don't want this. So guys what do you think? Is it normal for me to feel that way or is it simply because I can not accept the truth that I do not look good with a shaved head? Has anyone felt insecurities like that when they shaved their heads?

Thanks!

Yes, it is normal and yes some of us have felt insecurities just like that.  I know I did.  I know exactly where you're coming from.  I haven't read the replies yet, but I'm sure you got some great advice.  Keep visiting this site to bolster your confidence.  That's what finally clinched it for me. 

I went through a two-year cycle of shaving my hair, growing it back, shaving it again, etc., because I felt exactly the way you do now.  Finally I shaved it and committed to keeping it for 30 days, which turned into three months and then into six before I felt like growing it back again.  By then I'd lost so much hair and it looked so bad I knew I had to keep shaving it. 

Hang in there, it gets better.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:22:03 PM by RazorX »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Recently shaved and ambivalent
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 08:29:48 AM »
Everything else being equal, I've also found that a shaved pate is certainly a conversation starter.  That certainly can't be said for almost any kind of reasonable hair-do!  Definitely, its something that sets you out, and a lot of the time, isn't that even better than pleasing everyone?  We're the purple thread in the otherwise white toga, so to speak.  I find that quite cool.

That brings to mind another change as a Sly-Guy, for example I don't have to give the lady at the cleaners my name anymore, she remembers it now, nothing changed but the clean scalp!  It's happened at other regular vendors I use too.  Good to be recognised, better more personal service!