Author Topic: Earthlings Documentary  (Read 10604 times)

X The Hierophant

Earthlings Documentary
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:22:04 AM »
For all you who are interested in vegetarianism/veganism (or enjoy documentaries) here is an excellent film exploring the moral issues surrounding eating meat.  I am currently attempting to go vegetarian (and plan to transition that into veganism over then next month or two).  I found this video quite motivational.

Also - if you recognize the voice of the narrator it is Joaquin Phoenix (from the film Gladiator, Signs, etc).

Link to full length film:

http://veg-tv.info/Earthlings

Also - as a side health benfit I have lost 6 pounds in my first three weeks of simpy eliminating meat from my diet.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Earthlings Documentary
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:36:20 PM »
Thanks for the link X, great to see you back up....gotta go now to the store and warn all of the veggies that you are coming. ;D
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

BALDANDRE

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »
I could definately handle going full vegetarian...almost there ...rarely eat much meat and can do the faux-meat just fine...

but I could never do vegan...very tough, would restrict too much (because dairy is in EVERYTHING!) and you have to be careful about the health issue...ie. yogurt is HUGELY good for your health with all the active cultures and organisms in it...proteins from just nuts and veggies...you need a lot

my wife has us eating very healthy by making pretty much everything from scratch when she can (most of what we eat now-a-days)..you know wheat and barley and raw grains in everything..

THAT alone takes getting used to, but I really dig it...

Good luck X, I'm sure you'll do great with it!

P.S.And if you go vegan avoid eating chips or pretzels to fill the hunger...especially when you're on the go...I've known some vegan friends that got "beer-bellies' because they lost muscle and gained some weight in the midsection!

X The Hierophant

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:12:42 PM »
Thanks for the link X, great to see you back up....gotta go now to the store and warn all of the veggies that you are coming. ;D

Thanks man.  Good to be back!  O0

X The Hierophant

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 03:18:32 PM »
I could definately handle going full vegetarian...almost there ...rarely eat much meat and can do the faux-meat just fine...

but I could never do vegan...very tough, would restrict too much (because dairy is in EVERYTHING!) and you have to be careful about the health issue...ie. yogurt is HUGELY good for your health with all the active cultures and organisms in it...proteins from just nuts and veggies...you need a lot

my wife has us eating very healthy by making pretty much everything from scratch when she can (most of what we eat now-a-days)..you know wheat and barley and raw grains in everything..

THAT alone takes getting used to, but I really dig it...

Good luck X, I'm sure you'll do great with it!

P.S.And if you go vegan avoid eating chips or pretzels to fill the hunger...especially when you're on the go...I've known some vegan friends that got "beer-bellies' because they lost muscle and gained some weight in the midsection!

I totally agree with you, being vegan doesn't eliminate poor food choices.  You still need to eat a well-balanced meal and not live off sweets and chips and such.  I have tried to be mindful of that.

Keeping that in mind you don't "need" dairy products to survive (get enough protien, etc).  There are several good books out there that delve deeply into this:

To name one:  Becoming Vegan http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Vegan-Complete-Adopting-Plant-Based/dp/1570671036/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201644954&sr=8-1

I've enjoyed the challenge of changing my diet so far, and have upped my excercise as well.  So far, so good!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 03:31:19 PM »

Keeping that in mind you don't "need" dairy products to survive (get enough protien, etc).

Yea, I agree...totally...

but in a daily routine without dairy (which includes baked things, right?) ..eating and enjoying what you eat on a daily-weekly basis MIGHT get tough...

I love the soy milk and non dairy creamers and have tried and liked soy cream cheese..but all the added high fructose sugars...argggg!....

No negative vibes here....just looking out for your back bro ;)!

So if you can swing it, MORE POWER to ya!

Offline Cameron

• Sly Jr.
  • My wife and me. She loves the look!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
Yes!  Do it!  My wife and I have been vegetarians for 3 years now.  It's the best.

I don't see the reasons for being a vegetarian as supporting veganism... i.e. if you're concerned with animal rights, find a dairy farm that treats their cows like pets.  But thats a whole different topic.
That'll do, donkey.  That'll do.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »
I really believe in eating unprocessed foods.  Still enjoy some meat but nowhere near the amount I grew up eating. Eat a lot of fresh fruit and raw vegetables

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »
I was a vegetarian for a number of years due to moral objections that I had about eating meat. I kept getting sick however and didnt properly plan out the necessary supplements needed to make up for the lack of nutrients that your body does not get by not eating meat.

I now eat small amounts of beef and chicken and bacon on occassion. I will not eat Veal or any innards of an animal.

I fully support someones decision to become Vegan or anything they wish to do in life. My main reason for eating meat again was the hypocricy and idiocy of the Straight Edge Vegan movement of the 90's. They functioned as a gang of bullys who would terrorize local nightspots and even vandalize restaraunts even going so far as to jump a 16 year old girl who was working as a server for some extra money at a local restaraunt that served meat.

These idiots can go F**k themselves O0
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:30:37 PM by JDog »

BALDANDRE

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »
I really believe in eating unprocessed foods.  Still enjoy some meat but nowhere near the amount I grew up eating. Eat a lot of fresh fruit and raw vegetables

Right on bro!

That's what my wife is getting us into...and I'm diggin' it! O0

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 07:41:31 AM »
I'll check that out first chance I get.  Thanks for sharing.

I will say, before even watching it that Joaquin will have to be EXTREMELY convincing on the morality or lack-thereof of eating meat.

I'm all for veganism for health reasons and all that.  But MORALITY?  PUHHHLEEEEEEZ.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 08:44:40 AM »
I'm all for veganism for health reasons and all that.  But MORALITY?  PUHHHLEEEEEEZ.

Veganism is a personal decision that to me does have ethical/moral implications (though I must admit the health benefits are a bonus).

I wasn't trying to convince anyone or change anyone's mind. 

I just thought Earthlings was a well done documentary and was surprised to find a link where one could view it for free instead of renting it from the video store or purchasing it from Best Buy/Amazon/Etc.

My apologies if I offended.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:17:10 AM »

Keeping that in mind you don't "need" dairy products to survive (get enough protien, etc).

Yea, I agree...totally...

but in a daily routine without dairy (which includes baked things, right?) ..eating and enjoying what you eat on a daily-weekly basis MIGHT get tough...

I love the soy milk and non dairy creamers and have tried and liked soy cream cheese..but all the added high fructose sugars...argggg!....

No negative vibes here....just looking out for your back bro ;)!

So if you can swing it, MORE POWER to ya!

I hear ya bro O0

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:04:44 AM »
My apologies if I offended.

NAHHHH, brutha.....no offense whatsoever.  It's just that my knee-jerk reaction to "morality" being connected to eating meat struck me as rather absurd, that's all.

I immediately envisioned the morally-challenged, crotch-flashin', marriage-busting, Tommy Lee-sucking, coke-sniffin', fetus-aborting Hollywood crowd touting "morality" as to why they don't eat meat.

But I shouldn't prejudge without watching and listening.

Personal convictions is probably what we're talking about here.   Lemme give'r a looksy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:20:37 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 11:59:38 AM »
Most Vegans I have met are not the healthiest... most are emaciated, pale, skinny (not in a good way) and are sick about once a month. If you ever try to do anything with a vegan, forget about eating... We have walked the streets of some of the greatest cities on the west coast looking for suitable food for a vegan diet... and well it only exists in the supermarket and even then it is looked upon with a skeptical eye. Watching someone that is obviously starving deny themselves nutrition and watching you eat is ridiculous.  Many I have met are borderline militant as well. All in all it seems that their lifestyle controls them and not the other way around.  Maybe that is just the type of Vegan I have met...

I do know some very healthy / happy Vegetarians and the healthiest are those that eat fish. One friend has been Vegetarian for over 20 years and you would never know, he has just recently had fish a couple of times. I also know a guy that has never had meat EVER... he is about 35 years old and his mother raised him vegetarian, he is quite happy with it and once again, you would never know. He is also a great cook and has never had to approve a menu before going to a restaurant.

I just don't understand why everything has to be so black and white (other than folks wanting to label themselves) with things that in no way need to be. Everything in moderation, don't eat what you don't like, but to starve yourself because you have labeled yourself a Vegetarian or Vegan is just plain ridiculous.

Just remember you cant help a damn thing as an emaciated twig with no drive or energy... and if cows were carnivores... they would have you for lunch in a second and not feel the slightest guilt about it.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”