Author Topic: Greetings from the Deep South  (Read 8422 times)

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: Greetings from the Deep South
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 05:24:07 PM »
Welcome Clay - the dome looks great.  And another southern boy here - just outside Columbus GA
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
Welcome Clay - the dome looks great. And another southern boy here - just outside Columbus GA
I spent a good amount of time in the Columbus area.  I lived in Phenix City, too!  I loved it.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Clay

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »
AR3, you catch that UFC Wednesday night between Sanchez and Riggs?
Pretty quick, but Riggs is better than the outcome of that fight.  I love watching UFC.

Do you fight?

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 11:01:46 PM »
AR3, you catch that UFC Wednesday night between Sanchez and Riggs?
Pretty quick, but Riggs is better than the outcome of that fight. I love watching UFC.

Do you fight?

Yeah, I saw it.  I was very disappoint with it being that quick.  I really thought that Riggs would give Sanchez a good run for his money.  Good thing I’m not a bookie. :-[  I like watching all MMA, mainly UFC and Pride.
I fought just a bit, but nothing professional.  I really like the sport, but also realize that there is some really talented fighter out there now.
How about you, Clay?  Do you fight?

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 08:50:31 AM »
...you catch that UFC Wednesday night between Sanchez and Riggs? Pretty quick, but Riggs is better than the outcome of that fight.  I love watching UFC.

I caught that fight....I actually like a quick KO or submission in the first round.  Not speaking from experience, but I think the fighters prefer that as well. 

My wife and I love to watch UFC. One of these days we're gonna splurge and go see a live fight.  Those seats, you know, where you see Shakeel O'Neal and other celebs are like $5,000 a ticket!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 09:00:08 AM »
MMA/UFC sure sheds light on those choreographed scenes in kung-fu flicks....even the ones with my hero...Bruce Lee.

Back in the early days of UFC (early '90's) there was this Kung Fu guy....I dunno...like, 7th level, red sash, 7 animal or however they rank those guys.  And they showed flicks of this guy workin' out and doing movie fight scenes......he was AWESOME, man.

They put him in the octagon with Royce Gracie and Gracie tied him in a knot and submitted him in about 90 seconds.

I ain't dissin' Bruce Lee...he's the pioneer of mixing different styles....it's just that choreographing ain't the way a real fight goes down.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:14:59 AM by Robmeister »

Offline MississippiRed

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »
Whats good Clay ....I see you living in Baton Rouge, I'm from Natchez about 80 miles or so away from BR. I used to hang down in Scottlandville a lot in my earlier days I hear BR is on the up and coming here lately growing pretty fast. I'll be rolling through that way this summer heading home as we usually fly into Houston and I drive from Houston over to Natchez so I can stop by and holla at the folks I know on the way through...

Oh Yeah GO Saints !!! 

For the Irish fans I'm sorry for what the Tigers are going to do to yall's team

Geaux Tigers !! 

On that UFC I figured Diego would beat Riggs  , I just think Riggs is overrated but I didn't think he'd knock him out......I believe that Dana needs to give Diego a shot at GSP after Matt Serra instead of giving Matt Hughes a rematch this early that's bull in my book Matt needs to get back in line to get that belt back.....

Yeah those early UFC's and Vale Tudo's showed the world that you can't pretend your Martial Art works and not actually spar and train then expect to be able to use it even though there are still a lot of cats out there who believe their art is too deadly to spar . There's no substitute for hard sparring and pressure testing what you do that's why arts Boxing , Wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, and the various Submission Grappling arts are what most cats in MMA use those arts have been pressure tested and are trained in an alive manner with hard sparring.

MississippiRed

Higher Consciousness Through Harder Contact

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 03:29:05 PM »
MMA/UFC sure sheds light on those choreographed scenes in kung-fu flicks....even the ones with my hero...Bruce Lee.

Back in the early days of UFC (early '90's) there was this Kung Fu guy....I dunno...like, 7th level, red sash, 7 animal or however they rank those guys.  And they showed flicks of this guy workin' out and doing movie fight scenes......he was AWESOME, man.

They put him in the octagon with Royce Gracie and Gracie tied him in a knot and submitted him in about 90 seconds.

I ain't dissin' Bruce Lee...he's the pioneer of mixing different styles....it's just that choreographing ain't the way a real fight goes down.
There is a huge difference from a martial art that is designed and kept true to real fights compared to those that have allowed weakness in corrupt the art by emplacing rules on what opponents can do to each other.  Even with UFC and other MMA fights there are the gloves and the rounds that deviate the fight away from what someone would encounter at a bar, even a “clean” bar fight.
I caught that fight....I actually like a quick KO or submission in the first round. Not speaking from experience, but I think the fighters prefer that as well.
As for the fighters I think pretty much any fighter will choose split decision win over a KO loss.  Yeah you know clearly that you were out matched in the fight when you submit, but with knockouts a lot of fight have denial and blame it on the lucky punch, which is not true.  Luck is only small part of scoring the knock.  Take Riggs and Sanchez, Riggs messed up the fight when he tried going for a double leg take down after being knocked down, which gave Sanchez the prefect window to deliver a flying knee.  Sanchez earned the win with clearly exploiting the opportunity that presented during the fight.

Offline Baldego

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 11:34:07 PM »
Welcome to the Bald Nation Clay...... ;D

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 10:20:46 AM »
...earned the win with clearly exploiting the opportunity that presented during the fight.

You got it.  Watched a rerun of two fights where Chuck Liddel did just that.  Not to say he wouldn't have won otherwise.  But when he KO'd Randy "The Natural" Catour, Randy had simply slipped and fell forward with his jaw out there and Liddel's left hook landed more on the button than it would have if Randy didn't slip.

And when Liddel KO'd Tito Ortiz, Liddel had inadvertantly poked Tito's right eye....Tito tried to cover up and backed into the fence...Liddel unleashed his stuff on him and Big John McCarthy stopped it.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 12:23:53 PM »
And when Liddel KO'd Tito Ortiz, Liddel had inadvertantly poked Tito's right eye....Tito tried to cover up and backed into the fence...Liddel unleashed his stuff on him and Big John McCarthy stopped it.
Tito is just putz!  Sorry to Ortiz fans.