Author Topic: How to use the HeadBlade  (Read 181040 times)

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: How to use the HeadBlade
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
Welcome Ruf; Post up an introduction on the Introductions thread

Hello all, new to the site. Been shaving my head since 97, used balding clippers till about 3 months ago. I decided to make the full jump to using a razor. I say full jump because I have attempted to shave my head with a razor in the past with horrible results, razor bumps, razor burn, etc. I figured out my problem was that I did not continue to shave my head, if I had kept shaving it my scalp would have gotten use to it and it would have been fine.

That being said, I have discovered the HeadBlade. wonderful product that i'm sure i'll get use to in time, nicked myself nice and proper yesterday and today, I know its operator error and I know i'll get the technique in time. I do have a question for you veterans out there. Do you recommend Head Slick instead of shaving gel or cream? Does it make shaving with HeadBlade easier? Thanks guys.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline 666pluto

• I'm Bald BABY!!!
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
I read this entire post, watched every guide I could find on youtube, read every article out there on this product, yet the HB classic (double blades) left me a bad taste in my mouth. copy/paste from my post:
Well, sign me in as a HB hater, what a sh*tty experience  Cry
I feel like my head is on fire, so many nips cuts razor burns and what ever! I know it's my first use, but i watched so many guides on it, think i got the basic stuff. don't pressure the blade, don't do it to slow yet not so fast, with the grain etc. I'm sure it could improve when i learn it's proper technic, but I'm actually afraid to use it again! with the Gillette fusion it took way longer, wasn't as smooth, not so comfortable with the hand, yet it did the job and i felt really good after the shave, while know i really feel bad! hope it won't look worse in the morning and everything heals quickly.
Not sure at the moment if i should give the HB another try, to bad for the wasted money, i will even switch to mach3 to make things cheaper, but i prefer to avoid this experience again.

don't know if i should throw the HB to the trash right now, guess i will think about it for the next few days.
if anyone had the same experience but it went well after, please replay and give tips on how to improve things using the HB.
I shaved after a hotwater shower, using shaving gel, by the way.

Small EDIT:
After i calmed down a bit, i think i realized the mistake i have done which caused all this cuts. I didn't apply pressure on the blade itself, yet many times i also didn't apply pressure on the back of the HB making it rise from my head, which i read will make the blade go right to my skin. does it make any sense?
also let my family inspect my head, all got impressed on how smooth it is.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:58:54 PM by 666pluto »

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
I think there is a real learning curve to using the Headblade.  It takes a bit of time and patience to learning how to really use it.  One of the 'Rules" is don't press down, let it just glide, and that is probably the best thing to learn, and repeat to your self in the shower or where ever you use it.  I almost S_ _ _ canned mine, but now I use it and get close to the ears with a Fusion or Mach 3, what ever I have blades for.  But on the top and back, you are hard pressed to find anything that works as well as HB.  Before the learning curve is mastered, you're in for a real thrill, and as someone else, (Not me) said on the forum, the Headblade should come with a coupon for a free pint of blood.  Not at all out of line, IMO.  I shave with it with both hands, in the shower, and the worse I have done was put a 1 1/2 inch cut in my head, just above my right eye while changing hands with the darn thing,  and trying to go too fast in the hand-exchange.  Now that hurt, and I could have used that coupon.   A nice clean razor blade cut though.  Bled like hell.  Probably was my fault since I started the routine with the wrong hand to start with.  Like I said, there is a learning curve, and once learned don't change it.
Darn long post, sorry about that.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline Craig Reed

• Sly Jr.
    • A Lit Journey: Motivation From Within
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2010, 10:24:53 PM »
Headblade LOVER here - I started out the same way.

I have been using the Headblade Sport (with wheels!) religiously for the last 4 or 5 years now, and whip out my entire head - in the shower, using either foam shave cream, or Headslick - in 3 minutes tops. Completely smooth, no irratation, and no cuts.

Here is the major secrets -
1. Get rid of the Headblade classic - works well for me now, but beginners MUST use either the Ghost or Sport because they have wheels and make the whole "pressure" thing less of a problem.
2. Shave in the shower, hot shower - This not only helps the hair stand up as much as possible, but also provides some steam around your head in your shower, the will allow the Headblade so run smoother over your head, and be a little more forgiving for you if you do slip up a little bit.
3. Try different shaving creams. I personally use Old Spice Foaming Shaving cream with aloe vera, really really cheap, and has worked very well. From time to time I will use/buy Headslick by Headblade. Fairly inexpensive ($6-7) but is well worth it. The reason I don't use it everytime, as it is not the best for the shower. It is typically a thinner "gel" like substance, and will run off your head quite easily  - again why I like the foam.

4. Make sure to use a good aftershave/lotion. I use Neutrogena moisturizing lotion, but have recently starting using Headblade Matte Moisturizing lotion with SPF 30.

Hope these tips help you out, and feel free to shoot me a direct message if you have any others I can help you with! Happy shaving and welcome aboard!
Check out my blog on balding and weight loss
www.alitjourney.wordpress.com
www.coachcraigreed.com

Offline 666pluto

• I'm Bald BABY!!!
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2010, 05:40:48 AM »
Thanks for the tips, but after using the HB for the second time earlier today, i can honestly say i don't want to touch that thing any more  :(.
Just to clear things up and being fair about this product, according to it's reviews and people's comments, it looks like a great one! as for me personally, I'm sure i can make it work with a few more tries and enjoy it like the rest, but i see no reason for me to do that when i can use Gillette/mach3 and get the nearly same results with just a little longer time, without any cuts and burns. Just heads up for who's buying it for the first time, don't buy the classic version, as you see it's not so forgiving to new users and every small mistake will cost you a big cut!

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2010, 12:06:35 AM »
As has been mentioned already, slow and steady is the best way to go with the HB Sport. Best to do it when you are calm and collected.

I've tried other razors but find that, for the most part, the handle forces me to hold it at an uncomfortable angle. It all comes down to personal preference.

Offline Stormin Norm

• Team Sly
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2010, 06:30:08 AM »
It takes repeated use until you get into the groove.  I now shave my head 6 days a week with the Sport.  Sure, ya get the odd nic here and there but only once in awhile.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2010, 11:05:12 AM »
It took the HB Sport to make me a Headblader for life. 

What can I say, if you can't make the HB work for you, don't use it.  Maybe they'll come out with a 4 or 5 blade adapter sometime in the future and that will work for ya.  For me, wheels and three blades did the trick.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2010, 09:02:39 AM »
I started using a HB right off the bat, the first head shave I ever did.  It worked well for me.
It was only once I started getting really demanding about the closest shave possible everywhere (ATG, sides, etc..) that I found it a bit limiting, but only on part of the sides.
I've only gotten nicked once, but it was minor, and that was my fault because I inadvertently started a run putting down the razor end to my skin first, instead of the tail end.

When using a HB, always start with the tail end down first (wheels if using a Sport) then let the blade contact the skin, and start the run. Do not apply pressure, or at least, no more than necessary to merely keep it in contact with the skin --like lightly wiping your fingertips across your dome.
Also,  lean your head forward to tighten the skin when shaving the back - any loose folds of skin there can lead to nicks or "catching"... not so critical for the top though.  (Though in my case, I have to be careful with that in the very lower back of my head, (even below my scars) because the neck muscle/tendon tends to pop out which causes an uneven surface as well)
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2010, 01:35:52 PM »
Thanks, phigg. This sounds like good advice based on experience.

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2010, 07:40:59 PM »
For my headblade, I have to put the blade on backwards and pull the blade instead of pushing the blade. I break out and bleed if I use the blade the way it is suppost to be used. I also have to use women's shaving cream (usually skintimate) because I have extremely senstive skin. Befire the headblade, I'd use a Gillette Venus or the walmart/dollar general version.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline junglephone

• Drummer / Producer / Composer
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »
Okay, noob here. Used my HB for the first time today and noticed that where there are indentations in the noggin, it doesn't shave as close. I totally hear you guys when you say not to press too hard. Any tips for the dips?

Thanks, bros.

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
If you can tighten the skin over the dips it helps. You may find, too, that you have to make multiple passes in different directions. Just be careful to maintain the light touch.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2010, 08:53:55 PM »
I've got Sharpei grooves in my neck.  I just hang my head forward and my HB shaves just fine.  Every now and then there's a rough spot, but I've learned to just leave it alone.  If I mess with it too much, I get a nasty burn. 
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »
i found with my HB sport the only time i walk away with a nic is only under a few conditions

1.needed a new blade and tried one more scrape out of it.

signs that i need a new blade simply put the aloe strip is white almost every where.

2. went to fast or to hard.... Slow down and pay attention

3. not following routine in regards to my dry skin and watering the dome 
eurcine cream, vitamin e, head lube, baby oil, others
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P