Author Topic: Shaving advice wanted...  (Read 4980 times)

Offline cory_rudy98

• Sly Jr.
Shaving advice wanted...
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:28:07 PM »
I'm 22 and have been losing my hair at a pretty steady pace for the past two years.  It is starting to get pretty noticeable, but I have been putting off getting an electric razor and shaving it all off (I am 22, and going bald is a huge depressing thing for a lot of guys, it's just sad that I have to be going bald so young).  I plan to go complete shaved at once point, but I still have enough hair at the moment where I don't think it will be entirely noticeable if I just use an electric. 

I used to use an electric razor and shave it when I was younger, but it has been a while, so I don't really know what I would look like.  I assume I would look decent, but I don't really remember how close the electric razor actually gets.  Are there any guys on here who use an electric razor (and I assume they shave one or twice a week with it or something like that) and wouldn't mind posting a close up picture of their head immediately after shaving? 

Also, what electric razor would be a good one to use?  I would prefer one that gives a really close shave along with pretty easy maneuverability (I am not sure how hard it is to shave manually). 

I apologize if this post is a little long.  I guess I am just ranting about it to try to make myself feel a little better about going bald.  I just have very little self-confidence and self-esteem, so this makes it even worse.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Shaving advice wanted...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »
Cory_rudy, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  I started shaving my head by using clippers (Wahl and Andis), then I moved to an electric (Remington then Philips/Norelco) and after starting SBG heard about the HeadBlade and have gone to that.

Clippers will get you down close but you will still have stubble, so if you have a bald spot, it will still show, but it won't show much if your just thinning.  Using and electric razor will get you down very close but will leave you with a good amount of shadow.  If you use a razor like the HeadBlade or Fusion then you will get the closest shave and the least noticeable mpb. 

I'd say you should just shave it all the way and if you don't like it, it will be at the clipper level in just about 2 days.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline cory_rudy98

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:19:30 PM »
Being a college student, money is an issue.  How much is the headblade and replacements?  Can you use normal shaving cream (that I would use on my face) or do you have to use the HB cream?  I can go a pretty long time without replacing my razors when I shave my face, so would my head be the same, or would I risk getting cut up each time I shave with a slightly duller razor?  My basic question is, how much money per month would I be spending if I shaved once every two days (I assume since I only shave my face that often, I would shave my head the same amount of time). 

I know I have a lot of questions, but it is a pretty big step, I suppose. 

I think my head will look alright for a while if I just used an electric razor.  I am just thinning out on top and receding gradually near my forehead (my hair is long enough now so it isn't noticeable, but I know I can't go much longer).  Does any electric razor do or are there specific kinds for specific needs?

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 11:41:18 PM »
Welcome Cory

I would recommend starting off with a manual razor, just because the first few times I used a Headblade it took about a pint of blood. Okay, not a pint, but it was similar to that shower scene in the movie with that lady in it.

I personally don't like electric razors because they're not very low maintenance and the ones I've tried take a long time. I think you'll be fine with a Mach3, Fusion5, or Schick Quattro, all of which are affordable off eBay around $1 a blade.

I like Headslick shaving cream, it's mentholated and has a moisturizing effect that's worth the extra few bucks.

Good luck!!

StogieStang

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 12:08:14 AM »
I used a manual razor my first time (Mach 3) and I had a lot of razor burn.  I used the headblade with headslick the 2nd time and it went much better.  The headblade sport is $15 and the headslick is $9.00.  One bottle of headslick should last you at least a month.  I put a new cartridge on the headblade about once a week.  Seems to be working for me.  Just make sure you cut it as short as possible before you start shaving it.

Welcome to the Forum.

Offline WannaBePadre

• Look at all of this stuff!
  • Super Sly
  • The hairs of your head have been counted (Lk 12:7)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:13:46 AM »
Hey Rudy, I understand the cash-flow issues of being a student.

A Headblade Sport is US$12 and HeadSlick is US$8 at Walgreens. That would get you started. If you're in college, there has to be someone with a pair of clippers. Otherwise, find a cheap barber and tell him to take it all off.

I get quite a few miles out of blades. I don't usually change them except every couple weeks or more if I'm lazy.

Per month ... HeadSlick lasts me about 6 months a bottle, and the blades one or two a month.

On the electric route, I saw a Remington and a Braun on clearance at Target for $12-15 each ... but I'm not sure how either would work.
Nothing says 'God loves you' more than a bald man in mirrored sunglasses.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 11:45:03 AM »
First of all Cory...just shave it off. Like Ty said....it will grow back in 2 days.  I would frist recommend using a reg razor the first time....so that way you can get it down pretty smooth.  But please do buy you one of those Headblade sports.  Make sure it is an SP and you would have good results with the headslick. That stuff last forever dude.  All it takes is a small dime size amount for your noggin.  They are relatively inexpensive and why not just invest it all up front and get the good stuff.  Over time...by buying the other stuff...your gonna spend the same amout..
Good luck to ya....

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 12:13:29 PM »
Cost????  First calculate your costs for barber, shampoo conditioner & any hair spray, etc., plus replacements of blow dryer.  Then calculate one blade a week, I personally use Power Fusion, about $3.00 per week, plus Headslick, about $7, but it lasts for at least three to four months, probably longer--I'm still on my first bottle at three months plus out, Sunday is 100 days!  Also, small bottle of baby oil, about $1.25--lasts about 1 to 2 months.  Finally, some shaving balm, $4.00 for 3 months, and some 10% benzoyl peroxide-$2.50 a tube.  You're going to save money unless you don't shampoo, etc.
Fusion blades are great from a "nick" point of view because of the design of the blade, you'd have to be totally inept or have huge bumps to get cut.

Don't forget the oil, together w/ Headslick--it will give you a smooth clean shave that lasts all day.

Offline cory_rudy98

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 01:43:59 PM »
It's all kind of terrifying when it comes to someone losing their hair.  It's almost sad in a way.  It isn't like I am losing a loved one.  In fact, I have always hated my hair, but looking bald, to me, doesn't work on every guy.  Sure, you have your Bruce Willis and your Patrick Stewart, but who says I will look as good as they do?

I am not necessarily afraid of shaving my head, since I know I will have to do it eventually, but I just don't think I am ready for the stage of completely shaving it off.  I still have plenty of hair left on my head, so I figure if I use an electric razor until it gets to a point where I just want to complete shave it, it would be better in my mind.  It's kind of like that Bill Murray movie What About Bob?  I need to take baby steps in order to get to a comfortable place.  Using an electric razor is my first baby step, instead of just leaping and going as far as shaving my head completely. 

I hope that makes sense to you guys, but it is hard to explain.  I am just not the most self-confident person on the planet, so it is kind of worrisome. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »
It's all kind of terrifying when it comes to someone losing their hair.  It's almost sad in a way.  It isn't like I am losing a loved one.  In fact, I have always hated my hair, but looking bald, to me, doesn't work on every guy.  Sure, you have your Bruce Willis and your Patrick Stewart, but who says I will look as good as they do?

I am not necessarily afraid of shaving my head, since I know I will have to do it eventually, but I just don't think I am ready for the stage of completely shaving it off.  I still have plenty of hair left on my head, so I figure if I use an electric razor until it gets to a point where I just want to complete shave it, it would be better in my mind.  It's kind of like that Bill Murray movie What About Bob?  I need to take baby steps in order to get to a comfortable place.  Using an electric razor is my first baby step, instead of just leaping and going as far as shaving my head completely. 

I hope that makes sense to you guys, but it is hard to explain.  I am just not the most self-confident person on the planet, so it is kind of worrisome. 

Take your time, I'm sure you're getting lots of compliments about your hair and MPB!  :D Of course buzzing works, I did it for a little more than a month.  And, of course, MPB may reverse in your case--it never has before, but who can tell, you might be the one.  If it happens, buy lottery tickets your thus demonstrated luck would probably let you win.  You've thought about it, you're not going to be satisfied unless you try it, and what's left of your hair will grow back.  As long as you don't do plugs, drugs or rugs, you won't be out any serous money, just a few razor blades, etc.  Toss back a few tonight, and if the urge strikes, go to it, even if it's only getting a $9 or $10 clipper at the Wal-Mart, start at #3, and keep going until you're comfortable.  You know as well as everyone else here where you're "headed" it's just a matter of the ETA.  And, lighten up a little on yourself, we haven't ever seen anyone who doesn't look much better Sly than they did with a dying mop.  Confidence :-\--it's part of the system, believe us.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 02:21:35 PM »
Cory_rudy, there have been several guys that have come here in the same predicament that you're in.  ALL, yes 100%, that have shaved to the skin have felt a boost of confidence.  I myself can't tell you why, as a human being, such act as shaving your head can provide such a boost in confidence when dealing with MPB, but it does and it has been proven time and time again. 

If you need to take baby steps to do it, it's a much better option that worrying about it or doing something drastic like taking drugs or getting a transplant.  I just know that in the end you'll ask the same question to yourself that everyone else does - "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

We're here for you and we will give you genuine advice.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 02:53:14 PM »
Exactly bro....just like Tyler and saint has stated....the Confidence will come almost immediately.  And the WHY DIDNT I DO THIS SOONER.....we have all been there.  I have been shaving since June of 2007 and I look back and think man why didnt I do this like 5 years ago. LOL.  We are here for you bro......just sit back..relax....and we will all come armed with razors....give you the smoothest shave you have ever recieved  LOL.
ya know what they say...................YOU CAN DO IT!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »
Cory-Rudy, you have come to the right place for advice.  I don't think there isn't a feeling/concern/question that one of us hasn't already asked.  I would add that if you're not quite ready to pull out a blade, getting a very short buzz, either by a barber or you and a set of clippers, can also give you a huge boost of confidence.  It did for me.  You just do it, and go about your business... no worries.  It is also a great way to gauge how you might look with it totally shaved if you get it buzzed close enough.  Post up a pic, and we'll let you know our opinion about how it would look (of course, we're a little biased her, but in a good way).
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/