Author Topic: Bald Mens' Books  (Read 13667 times)

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: Bald Mens' Books
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 08:16:23 PM »

Have you read any of Norman Vincent Peale's stuff?

Very timeless
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 01:32:08 AM »
To be or not be intimidated by Robert Ringer
360 Degree Leader by John Maxwell
You can negotiate anything by Herb Cohen
The magic of thinking BIG by Daniel Swartz

Tyler, sounds like you like the success/motivational/positive thinking books....me too!

Have you read any of Norman Vincent Peale's stuff?

Yeah, I do like that type of stuff.  I have not read any of Peale's stuff.  I'll have to look into it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 07:10:06 AM »
if any of you like camping or just love the dessert southwest part of this country. i suggest DESSERT SOLITARE by EDWARD ABBEY. yes he is my favorite. this one is about when he spent a season as a park ranger in the canyonlands around moab. has special meaning to me cause of a class i had in high school. we spent a week out there camping and stuff. it is a good book. tom clancy is good too.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 07:00:27 PM »

Angels and Demons ROCKED!!

I mostly read Vince Flynn, John Sanford, Nelson Demille, and Ted Bell... spy or police thrillers!
[/quote]

For the past year or so I've been into Lee Child's work. It's about a guy named Jack Reacher.  Some of his are:
Tripwire
Die Trying
Echo Burning
Persuader
and  Without Fail.

Hey Rob, if you like the spy or police thriller stuff, check him out.

BaldRob

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 08:14:19 PM »

I mostly read Vince Flynn, John Sanford, Nelson Demille, and Ted Bell... spy or police thrillers!

For the past year or so I've been into Lee Child's work. It's about a guy named Jack Reacher.  Some of his are:
Tripwire
Die Trying
Echo Burning
Persuader
and  Without Fail.

[/quote]

Definitely will check that out...

Funny thing about the Prey Series (John Sanford)... all takes place in and around Minneapolis!!  Lots of serial killers up there Johnny??

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 09:40:57 PM »

Tripwire
Die Trying
Echo Burning
Persuader
and  Without Fail.

Definitely will check that out...

Funny thing about the Prey Series (John Sanford)... all takes place in and around Minneapolis!!  Lots of serial killers up there Johnny??
[/quote]

If there are I hope I look mean enough not to mess with, otherwise I'm screwed. I'll have to check out that series. I'm going to Cabo the end of the month. I need some reading material. Thanks

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 03:30:51 PM »
I love the Harry Potter series, i'm a big kid really i am.

I also like a few Grisham Books, and Clancy isn't half bad.

Right now I'm reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire, it's pretty decnet
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 03:10:54 PM »

Harry rocks!  I can't wait for the last book and this next movie.  I read the movie should be out 17 July, but I don't know when the book is due. :-\
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 07:01:50 PM »

Harry rocks!  I can't wait for the last book and this next movie.  I read the movie should be out 17 July, but I don't know when the book is due. :-\

Might be while ... Check out this site, Albert. 

http://www.jkrowling.com/

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 09:29:10 AM »
For me...

Anything by Tom Clancy, esp "Clear & Present Danger"
"Chickenhawk" - Bob Mason
"Once A Warrior King" - David Donovan
and a pile of other military related books.

Haven't read "real" books in a LONG (LONG LONG) time.

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »
Oh I also read the first 8 books of the Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events. However they got boring and repiditve so i'll finsh them when i have nothing left to read or i want no brainer stuff.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »

If there are I hope I look mean enough not to mess with, otherwise I'm screwed. I'll have to check out that series. I'm going to Cabo the end of the month. I need some reading material. Thanks

Cabo rocks, I've been twice with my family.
bald for life

Offline BigJeffrey

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 06:55:14 PM »
Tyler mentioned the 360 Degree Leader by John Maxwell.  I had the opportunity to meet Rev. Maxwell recently when he preached at my church.  I got a copy of the book signed after the service.  He was really good....it wasnt' leadership stuff but a very good sermon. Heck of a nice guy and a genuine old school preacher.

Like Tyler, I'm not too big on fiction.  My favorites recently have been the works of Donald Miller (Blue Like Jazz, Through Painted Deserts, Searching for God Knows What, To Own a Dragon).  Also a big fan of Pastor Mark Driscoll's writing.

I did read The DaVinci Code to see what the fuss was about.  Pretty good fiction.  No basis in fact like was claimed.  Read Angels and Demons afterward.  It was better and would probably make a better movie too.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »
Tyler mentioned the 360 Degree Leader by John Maxwell.  I had the opportunity to meet Rev. Maxwell recently when he preached at my church.  I got a copy of the book signed after the service.  He was really good....it wasnt' leadership stuff but a very good sermon. Heck of a nice guy and a genuine old school preacher.

Like Tyler, I'm not too big on fiction.  My favorites recently have been the works of Donald Miller (Blue Like Jazz, Through Painted Deserts, Searching for God Knows What, To Own a Dragon).  Also a big fan of Pastor Mark Driscoll's writing.

I did read The DaVinci Code to see what the fuss was about.  Pretty good fiction.  No basis in fact like was claimed.  Read Angels and Demons afterward.  It was better and would probably make a better movie too.

I'm reading DaVinci right now.  I'd been wondering about all the uproar.  I mean, come on, it's fiction.  I found it in the part of the bookstore labeled "fiction".  My pastor and her husband both read it too - and thought it good, entertaining fiction.  People need to be able to read fiction for fiction's sake. 

Offline BigJeffrey

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 08:09:36 PM »
I think the fact that the information about Christ and the cover-up was presented as historical fact was the issue.  Unfortunately, many Christian organizations respond by making a fuss rather than educating themselves and others.  I"m sure Dan Brown was happy for the uprising as it certainly added a few zeros onto the end of his paycheck.