Author Topic: Thinking about Joining the Home of the Dome !  (Read 11797 times)

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Thinking about Joining the Home of the Dome !
« on: December 06, 2006, 03:34:35 PM »
Been leaning towards taking the express lane to the inevitable and shaving the nugget. In my internet searches about being bald, I (obviously) came across this website, and am very glad that I did. A lot of good information, thanks to you all. I intend on going through the holidays with what little hair I have left. I am doing this out of respect for my wife (family photos, etc. etc.). She is not all that hot on the idea, but I want to do it for many reasons, none of least is the fact that I think my look will be greatly enhanced by going Kojak. It's funny, her comment on it was that "my forehead is too big". Granted, my hat size is 7 1/2", but aren't all "follically impaired" men suffering from huge foreheads to begin with? I just thought it was comical. Plus, if the look doesn't go over well, it'll always grow back, at least on the sides!!

To prep for the New Year shave, I was wondering if the forum could help me with a couple of questions...
1. First Shave...is the HeadBlade a good purchase for a "rookie"? From their website, it seems like it's a good move for someone not skilled in shaving their own head. In reading all the valuable input on these forums, it sounds like it'd be a good move for me.
2. I suffer from mild dandruff that only gets worse in the winter months. I was wondering if any of you have such dandruff and did it go away once you started shaving your head?

Thanks Guys,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Thinking about Joining the Home of the Dome !
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 03:42:50 PM »
Welcome Schro. you should find alot of helpful info here. as for the holidays; good idea to wait, i made that mistake a few years ago. when i shaved in jan all the holidays were over. did not want to go through all that crap with the wife again. i did have dandruff too. now i have a slight oily scalp. go figure. headblade products are great, but personally if i would have used the headblade first off, i probably would have grown my hair back. i found that it took some practice to get comfy with it. after you are then you will love it. alot of us are bladers. check out the headblade stuff. it really is good stuff.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 04:24:55 PM »
 :D :Ahoy, do not be a wus. Shave it all off BEFORE the holiday so that you have to appear totally bald in public. As an acedemic and professional, I can state emphatically that your new bald look will go over and that you can say goodbye to all attempts to reverse baldness. Just do it. Face today and tomorrow. You probably have a beauriful head, so show it. Professsor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 04:27:35 PM »
The bottom line is confidence.   If you have it regardless of bumps/scars whatever on the head, nobody will care.    If you approach it as a concession and are jealous/depressed about being bald then the ribbing will be there non stop.
bald for life

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:35:49 PM »
I don't think it's being a wus in any way, shape, or form that I am opting to hold off until the New Year. It's more of a respect thing. I'll update my photo after the New Year.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 04:39:56 PM »
 :D :Dear Schro: use some modern products. Get  Mach III Turbo razor or the Headblade. Use Aveeno Therapeutic shaving gel or something equally effective. Then, take a really long hot shower and shave it all off. You owe it to youraelf to proceed to the next phase of your life. Godspeed, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 04:42:20 PM »
Hey schro,

I'm glad you went right ahead and posted.

As far as shaving after the holiday season is concerned, yeah, no problem at all
waiting for the season to be over before picking up the razor. But after the season's over
there's no turning back....swisssshhhh

All right, concerning your two questions:

I'm going to agree with pburke (aka "Call me Paul") on the Headblade, though my reasons
are different. It's like learning how to drive - let's practice with a car that has a manual transmission before switching to automatic. And after all, I have never used the HeadBlade, and I'm totally satisfied and content with the "normal" razors I use. So, learn the craft with the traditional tools, and then you can check out the more "unconventional" stuff. It's always a good idea to be familiar with and versed in the conventional tools first.
However, I recommend using a good (multiblade) razor. Try either a Mach 3, Shick Quattro or Gillette Fusion - you don't want your head to be a bloody mess, now do you? ;)

As far as dandruff is concerned, hm, I don't know. Never had any. But common sense tells me you shouldn't have a problem with it. After all, you're shaving your head (especially if you go against the grain), shaving it all off, and there's not much left there for dandruff to reappear...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 04:45:54 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 04:58:58 PM »
Hey Schro!  I echo the welcome that everyone else has given you.

When it comes time to shave make sure to use some clippers without a guard on your hair before you proceed with a razor.  If you don't have clippers, just go to a barber and have him do it for you and then go home and shave it off.  Though, you may want to invest in a cheap pair of clippers for those times you might let your hair grow out for a couple of days before shaving.

I started out using an electric razor to shave my head, which can be a less intimidating way to first shave, but I recommend starting with the Mach 3 or the Headblade Sport.  (Maybe you can ask for one for Christmas  ;) )

Enjoy the site!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 05:24:36 PM »
After paying $15-$20 per haircut (which seemed like robbery for what little I had), my wife got a Wahl shaver a few yrs ago. I figured it has saved me at least a grand. Anyway, on Jan 2nd, I plan on putting the #1 attachment on there, buzzing it down to the nubs, then showering up, and shaving it off. I've been using a Gillette Sensor for at least a decade, but it sounds like everyone has either recommended the Mach 3 or the Fusion. Maybe it's time to upgrade the straight blade and give that a go before checking out the HeadBlade gear. Thanks, Tyler.

Schro

BaldRob

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 10:53:09 PM »
Hi Schro and welcome!!

Since you're just starting, definitely upgrade to the Fusion...  I'm a razor junkie and always jump on whatever the new Gillette razor is.  5 blades may seem like a lot, but it is definitely worth it.

Once you're comfortable with the fully bald head, head to your local store and grab a Headblade.  Once again, well worth it.

Good luck!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 07:20:35 AM »
Welcome schro! I personally started shaving with a Mach 3 as well. That is until I ran across the HeadBlade at a local drugstore. Since then I haven't looked back. I ordered the HB Sport a couple of days ago, should be recieving it soon. Also ordered HeadShed and the new ClearHead. I'll give everyone a review on the ClearHead once I try it.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 07:38:35 AM »
2. I suffer from mild dandruff that only gets worse in the winter months. I was wondering if any of you have such dandruff and did it go away once you started shaving your head?

Dr. Noner here. No I'm not a real doctor, but I pretend I'm one in front of star wars figures.

It is a fallacy that dandruff will disappear once you shave your head. In fact many head shavers actually create dandruff but using harsh soaps on their noggin, thus drying the skin and causing it to flake.

The best way to prevent dandruff after you shave your head is to moisturize your head after you shave and before you go to bed. Also in the winter exposure to the elements will cause it to dry out even further.

Check in the product review section for some good lotions and welcome to slybaldguys!

Noner

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 09:20:51 AM »
I've been using a Gillette Sensor for at least a decade, but it sounds like everyone has either recommended the Mach 3 or the Fusion. Maybe it's time to upgrade the straight blade and give that a go before checking out the HeadBlade gear. Thanks, Tyler.

Schro

I used Sensor or equivalent generics for several years.  If you're comfortable with that blade, there's nothing wrong with using it until you're used to shaving the noggin.  It can also be used with the HeadBlade with the right adapter.

As far as going to the HeadBlade right off, it may actually be easier since you won't have to "re-learn" the shaving process.  It does have a learning curve after you've shaved with a regular razor.

Good luck!

Offline schro

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 09:39:04 AM »
Thanks guys for all the valuable info.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 10:58:35 AM »
Didn't see the question earlier about dandruff. On that note, I had a dandruff problem before I shaved the noggin. Now after about two days growth, my scalp gets oily and I notice flakes popping up. Everyday after Shaving I use the HeadLube Matte finish and it keeps the scalp good and moist. Toward the end of the day it will still get pretty oily.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!